Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
Just_Trish
Mouseketeer

POTC and Disabilities

We are taking a family vacation to WDW this December and bringing my 20 year old nephew who has severe Cerebal Palsy. It is his first and probably only trip to Disney. He is a HUGE pirate fan!

As a Disney veteran, I know POTC is not handicapped accessible. I have ridden it so many times I can perfectly visualize the queue!

But my question is this....if we push my nephew in his chair all the way to the boat, would they allow his dad and uncle to bodily pick him up and place him into the boat? It could take a few minutes to get him situated so I wondered would we have better luck with this if we were there immediately upon opening as the first ones of the day?

Thanks!

19 MAGICAL TRIPS...
March 2001 – ASMo June 2001 - ASMu July 2002 - Coronado Springs May 2003 - AKL Sept 2004 - POP - MNSSHP Oct 2005 - ASSp - MNSSHP Feb 2007 - POP - Pirate & Princess Party Nov 2009 – POP - DDs Sweet 16, MNSSHP
Sept 2010 - POP - MNSSHP Dec 2010 - POP - MVMCP Oct 2011 – POP - MNSSHP Feb 2012 - POP - One More Disney Day Whole 24 Hrs! May 2012 - POP Oct 2012 – POP - MNSSHP Dec 2012 – POP - MVMCP March 2013 - POP - My 40th B'day!
May 2013 - POP - Monstrous Summer - Whole 24 Hours! October 2013 - POP - MNSSHP
May 2014 – POP – Rock Your Disney Side – Whole 24 Hours!

Upcoming Trips
Aug 2014 - POP - Villains Unleashed! Sept 2014 – POP – MNSSHP Nov 2014 – Port Orleans Royal Room – Dds 21st B'Day! Dec 2014 – POP – MVMCP
Just_Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

I only have time for a quick answer, but that is how we get our daughter on.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
Vickyrowe
Only 4 Months Until My Birthday Trip !!!!!

Yes they held our boat so myself and a friend could lift my husband in , so this shouldn't be a problem.
Vickyrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
Just_Trish
Mouseketeer

Thank you! This is great news!

So would you say it is less disruptive to do this early in the morning then? Also, would I be allowed to go around to the exit to have his chair waiting? I would think it would be hard to get him up the moving ramp without it...

19 MAGICAL TRIPS...
March 2001 – ASMo June 2001 - ASMu July 2002 - Coronado Springs May 2003 - AKL Sept 2004 - POP - MNSSHP Oct 2005 - ASSp - MNSSHP Feb 2007 - POP - Pirate & Princess Party Nov 2009 – POP - DDs Sweet 16, MNSSHP
Sept 2010 - POP - MNSSHP Dec 2010 - POP - MVMCP Oct 2011 – POP - MNSSHP Feb 2012 - POP - One More Disney Day Whole 24 Hrs! May 2012 - POP Oct 2012 – POP - MNSSHP Dec 2012 – POP - MVMCP March 2013 - POP - My 40th B'day!

Upcoming Trips
Aug 2014 - POP - Villains Unleashed! Sept 2014 – POP – MNSSHP Nov 2014 – Port Orleans Royal Room – Dds 21st B'Day! Dec 2014 – POP – MVMCP
Old 09-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

There is an elevator to the left before the moving walkway. You go through a door and it is right there. Just ask the castmember. No need for him to use the moving walkway

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
tinka-belle
DIS Veteran

When you get into the boat you leave the wheelchair. A CM will transport it to the other side so it's waiting when you exit the boat. There is a small doorway to the left just before the ramp that takes you out, elevator is there, and the CM might already have the door open for you.
tinka-belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
Just_Trish
Mouseketeer

Awesome! Thank you! He will be thrilled!

19 MAGICAL TRIPS...

Upcoming Trips
Old 09-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
Michigan
Mom of the Rolling Crew

Location: Westland, MI in the summer Clermont, FL in the Winter

Ask for the last row, it wider and you will be able to push the wheelchair right up next to the boat.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #9
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Getting up and out is much harder then getting in the boat, I'd just make sure dad and uncle have the ability to lift him out.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
jworkkul
DIS Veteran

It's funny but everytime I've used a wheelchair at POTC the chair came into the boat with me.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #11
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelovesdisney View Post
Getting up and out is much harder then getting in the boat, I'd just make sure dad and uncle have the ability to lift him out.
Yes - it is not easy to get someone into the boat because the boat is so low (and fairlky tight).
It is MUCH easier to get most people in than out though.
Getting in, gravity is working for you. Getting out, you have to work against gravity in a small space where you may not have the space to use proper lifting technique.

Also, the person's ability/disability may make getting in or out harder.
A person who has low muscle tone will be dead weight, and if they don't have good head or neck control, you have to worry about supporting their head and neck in position (plus, the boat has a very low back, so you may have to support it during the whole ride).
Doing that may not be a problem for a short ride, but a long ride like Pirates will be a strain for the people doing the holding. So, make sure you are ready to lift at the end.

My youngest DD has spastic quad CP - which means her body is very stiff. When she gets excited, she also has athetoid movements, mostly of her legs.
All that means that her hips and knees don't want to bend, so it's hard to sit her down. Plus, we have the added feature of legs and arms flying all over.
Getting her in and out takes a different kind of plan than someone with low muscle tone.

The main thing is, you want to consider how his CP affects him and make a game plan for getting in and out. All boats come to a complete stop for boarding and unloading. The CM dispatching the boats does not move the boat until guests are safely in or out.

You will be getting in and out on the same side of the boat - the side shown in this picture.

So, it is a transfer to the right to get in and a transfer to the left to get out.

As was already mentioned, there is an elevator to the left of the moving exit ramp. That is hat you hold use with a wheelchair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jworkkul View Post
It's funny but everytime I've used a wheelchair at POTC the chair came into the boat with me.
A long time ago, they used to put most wheelchairs into the boat, even small ones which did not fold.

Now, in most cases, they don't put the wheelchair into the boat, even if it does fold. One reason is that the wheelchair can get jostled out of place during the ride, especially during the drop.
Another reason is that most wheelchairs are more than 30 pounds and the awkward position for the CM putting it in and lifting it out can lead to back injuries, especially if they have to do it repetitively during the day.

So, first choice is to transfer to a WDW park wheelchair. Those are available at the entrance to the queue and also at the exit. Parking your own wheelchair and using one of the attraction wheelchairs means they only have to get A wheelchair to the exit in time for the guest to get off.
That is a lot easier than getting that particular guest's own wheelchair down one floor and into another building to be there in time for that guest to exit.

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 09-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #12
loadsapixiedust
DIS Veteran

Our DS is 20 also with severe CP and we have to lift him in and out of the boat. If you use a personal wheelchair there is an alternate entrance if you can transfer to a regular chair it's possible to use the regular line. CMs will only assist with taking a guest's wheelchair to the exit and keeping the boat stopped until you are seated. It's a challenging transfer due to the difference in height between the boat and the dock and the restricted space. We tend to transfer DS between us and have him sit between us for extra support. The weaker one (which would be me) goes into the boat first and the other hands DS over then steps down. This makes the exit easier as the stronger person is the one first out and doing most of the lifting at that point. It is far more difficult getting out especially if you have been supporting an excited young person for the duration of the ride. We try to do this ride early in the day before there is a huge line and before any of us have eaten, it's not one to try on a full stomach! It's probably the most challenging ride for us but it is possible and as it's a favourite for DS we do try to do it at least once every trip.

2 weeks October 1998 Quail Ridge Villa 3 weeks March/April 2002 Comfort Inn Lake Buena Vista
3 weeks July 2005 Comfort Inn Lake Buena Vista, Port Orleans French Quarter, Animal Kingdom Lodge
10 days August 2006 Royal Plaza in the WDW Resort 2 weeks October 2006 All Star Movies
2 weeks June 2007 Lake Buena Vista Resort Village & Spa 2 weeks Easter 2008 Cypress Pointe
2 weeks Dec 2008 Caribbean Beach & Port Orleans Riverside 2 weeks July 2009 Cypress Pointe Grandevillas
2 weeks Oct 2009 Coronado Springs 3 weeks July 2010 Port Orleans Riverside and Pop century
2 weeks June 2011 Bay Lake Tower & Kidani Village

June 2012 ~ Beach Club Villas * Vero Beach * Bay Lake Tower
unlucky 13th trip cancelled to make way for chemo - I'm pretty sure that will not be as much fun
loadsapixiedust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #13
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Just a clarification -
Personal wheelchairs can be brought into the regular line - all wheelchairs use the left line.
If they send someone to an alternate entrance ( which goes backstage) there is some other issue besides just the wheelchair. It may be because they are low on staff and the easiest way to get the personal wheelchair to the exit at that time will be to use that entrance.

We always bring DD's own wheelchair and have just been sent thru the regular line on the left.

They prefer guests to transfer to one of their wheelchairs because it is easier making sure there is a wheelchair at the exit.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #14
Michigan
Mom of the Rolling Crew

Location: Westland, MI in the summer Clermont, FL in the Winter

We were only directed to the alternate entrance once in all the times we have ridden on POTC. Always take their own chairs and go through the left line. I always ask for the last row since the opening is wide enough for the chair to go up next to the boat.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: