Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
jkattk
Earning My Ears

Disneyland January 1-6

I'm planning a trip around January 1-6, 2013. How bad can we expect the crowds to be? I've read that the decorations will still be up, does anyone know if any holiday shows or tours will still be going? How about the temps that time of year? Any hope of using the hotel pool? How cold will it potentially be to ride the water rides (my son's favorite ride at Disney World was Splash Mountain...)? Anything that would be good to know for that time of year - we are first time visitors to Disneyland.
jkattk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkattk View Post
I'm planning a trip around January 1-6, 2013. How bad can we expect the crowds to be? I've read that the decorations will still be up, does anyone know if any holiday shows or tours will still be going? How about the temps that time of year? Any hope of using the hotel pool? How cold will it potentially be to ride the water rides (my son's favorite ride at Disney World was Splash Mountain...)? Anything that would be good to know for that time of year - we are first time visitors to Disneyland.
The crowds will probably start to subside a bit after January 1, so that people can get back to work for the rest of the week.

I think that the holiday parade will still be happening all the way through January 6th. The holiday fireworks should also still be happening, along with the snow on Main Street and the nighttime Winter Castle lighting. The Reindeer Round-Up should still be open. Everything should really still be going on through January 6th except for possibly Santa. Both holiday ride overlays (Haunted Mansion Holiday and It's a Small World Holiday) will still be happening. Santa appears in 5 spots between the 2 parks and 3 hotels during the season, and he may leave at least a few of those posts by the time New Year's Day hits, but I'm not sure.

As for weather - well, it could be rainy. That happens a lot in January. It could also be quite chilly - down to the 30's at night, for example. That doesn't mean that this will be the case, but it has happened and it could happen.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
pharmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E

The crowds will probably start to subside a bit after January 1, so that people can get back to work for the rest of the week.
I wouldn't count on this thus year. Because Christmas and New Years are on tuesday, many school winter breaks don't start until dec 22 so the two week break goes thru 1/6.

Disneyland many times as a child, now sharing the magic with my children....
Disneyland 5K 2014 (as Lilo & DD9 as Stitch), Disneyland 10K 2014 (dressed as Jessie)
Disneyland 1/2 Marathon 2009 & 2010 (dressed as Jessie)
Disney Dream 5nt Double Dip, July 2012.
pharmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
longtimedisneylurker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmama View Post
I wouldn't count on this thus year. Because Christmas and New Years are on tuesday, many school winter breaks don't start until dec 22 so the two week break goes thru 1/6.
Agreed. Our break goes through January 6.
longtimedisneylurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmama View Post
I was talking about people who have to work. I said "...so that people can get back to work for the rest of the week." I know that there are some school breaks that extend to that time, but there are also many people who have to get back to work right after New Year's.

If New Year's Day were closer to the end of the week, then a lot of offices would stay closed the entire week. In 2013 New Year's Day is going to be closer to the beginning of the week. I know a lot of people who will not be taking off that whole week. They will be back in the office on Wednesday. Sure, there are always exceptions, but I'm mainly talking about crowds dropping off a bit after New Year's in comparison to what they will be in between Christmas and New Year's. The crowds drop off a bit after New Year's.

This past New Year's Day 2012 fell on Sunday and many school breaks ended after January 8th. People still had to go back to work regardless of what the schools were doing.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
AnneUCSB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimedisneylurker View Post
Agreed. Our break goes through January 6.
I am in Nor Cal and my kids also don't return to school until Jan. 8. I imagine it'll be pretty crowded.
AnneUCSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
longtimedisneylurker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
People still had to go back to work regardless of what the schools were doing.
True, but people who work and have children tend to take time off from work (if they can) when their children are not at school. I think there will always be that group of people that thinks, hey, my kid is off school still after New Year's, why don't we just take some extra time off and go to Disneyland for that week once the crowds have died down? These people will part of the post-New Year's crowds. Then there are also all the locals who are still free to visit Disney and want to see the decorations before they're gone: kids accompanied by a non-working parent or relative, winter "camp" groups, unaccompanied teenagers with free time, and then at night everyone else local who had to work during the day. I suspect it will still be pretty busy.
longtimedisneylurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:33 AM   #8
NWT
Thought the swim was more thrilling

I have been there twice during that time period. It is crazy busy Jan 1st, and still busy for the week after, but not as bad as the 1st. They keep the holiday stuff up for the first part of January. If I recall correctly, I believe there was still a santa parade, but did not see him around the parks other than that.

Both times we went, it was cooler, jeans and a sweater, and even mitts, coat and a hat in the evenings, especially if it was a damp/rainy day. I live in sub-arctic, so I like the cooler weather, but I even found I got a chill in the evenings. Unless your pool is heated, I doubt you will enjoy it much. Usually you will just find us crazy Canadians and a few people from Alaska sitting in the hot tubs at night. lol

Splash Mountain is our favorite family ride. We especially like going on it in the evenings, because you basically just walk on. I found we really did not get that wet, and sometimes not wet at all.
December 1990 - Honeymoon - Disneyland, January 1997 - 1st DD's 1st trip to Disneyland, February 1998 - Trip with in-laws to Disneyland, October 2004 - 2nd DD's 1st trip to Disneyland, February 2007 - Our 1st Disney Cruise - 4 day Wonder & 1st trip to Walt Disney World, January 2009 - Just Momma and DD9 to Disneyland, Dec 31, 2009 to Jan 9, 2010- Disneyland - Just Momma, DH and DD10 (DD17 went to New York), June 2012 - Just Momma and DD20 Disney World - Star Wars Weekend!, Jan 27 - Feb 7, 2013 Niece's first trip, April/May 2015 - 25th Anniversary, just me and DH - WDW/ BC - 14 day Panama Canal Disney Cruise and DL-Disney Hotel - 4 weeks of Disney!

NWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #9
jkattk
Earning My Ears

Well we are from Minnesota, so my son considers anything from about 65 degrees up to be swimming weather
jkattk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #10
chippy87
Earning My Ears

Jan Vacation

Yea I will be going from the Dec 31 to Jan 4... I also want to know how crowded the parks are predicted to be on January 2 and 3?
chippy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #11
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home
Birthdays are for kids of all ages
I have always been a big Kermit the Frog Fan

The craziest week is between Christmas and New Years. It will calm just slightly the week after New Years but will still be very crowded.
disneychrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:15 PM   #12
Judy from Boise
Watch out – might take away your birthday
Not superfluous in the least!
DIS World Traveller

DISboards Moderator

We were in that time frame last year, and it was crowded because after 1/1, they lift the AP blockouts, so many AP holders come back that have been blocked for the last 3 weeks. With that said it was still a lot of fun with great weather.
Judy from Boise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:48 AM   #13
disneymum58
Mouseketeer

I believe that the Deluxe Pass which is blocked from December 22 - 31, is not blocked starting Jan. 1. I'm thinking this might add an increase of people. Some might also be there to ride Thunder Mtn. before it goes down for 10 months.
We will be there and make the best of whatever crowd level we find ourselves in.

disneymum58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:10 AM   #14
larina
DIS Veteran

Weather wise, we went in May and December last year and it was actually warmer and sunnier in December than in May. Mostly due to fog in May.
larina is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: