Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #2341
christinascreative
Mouseketeer

Woops- forgot to post a question here for people training. I ran 5 miles for the first time ever yesterday -- my time was 1:06. I ran a 5k 2 weeks ago and that time was 00:41:02. Seems like I'm steady at a 13:20/30ish mile pace. I'm obviously going to keep training and increasing my long runs each week, but is there a way to figure out what I might be at a 13.1? Or do I just keep going and I will get there?

[/img]
Old 09-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #2342
KristinU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinascreative View Post
Woops- forgot to post a question here for people training. I ran 5 miles for the first time ever yesterday -- my time was 1:06. I ran a 5k 2 weeks ago and that time was 00:41:02. Seems like I'm steady at a 13:20/30ish mile pace. I'm obviously going to keep training and increasing my long runs each week, but is there a way to figure out what I might be at a 13.1? Or do I just keep going and I will get there?
Congrats on your 5 miler!!! And yes, just keep going and you will get there. There's no magical equation that I've ever heard of. The speed will come with time...and know that you really can't work on speed and distance at the same time, so don't get critical with yourself on speed when you're making great progress in the distance department. Keep rocking it like you are and you'll be in great shape!

1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 Joined DVC! BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! also in 2007 - started living Debt Free! - 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and sold DVC! (and yes, it's a good thing for us! ) and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #2343
christinascreative
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinU View Post
Congrats on your 5 miler!!! And yes, just keep going and you will get there. There's no magical equation that I've ever heard of. The speed will come with time...and know that you really can't work on speed and distance at the same time, so don't get critical with yourself on speed when you're making great progress in the distance department. Keep rocking it like you are and you'll be in great shape!
Thanks- easier said than done on that critical part but I really am enjoying the longer distances as I go along. I started out barely able to run up a hill or go 1/8 of a lap around our lake without walking. To run around our lake- it's pretty hilly but I enjoy doing my long runs there because it's pretty and 3 laps around is 5.01 miles. Now I'm able to run some of the uphills and even part of the mega hills

Since the P1/2 is mostly flat with a few ramps- my goal is to train on the harder environment and maybe it will seem like a piece of cake? Probably not but I want to finish- and finish strong. I am afraid of the van and balloon lady!

[/img]
Old 09-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #2344
jodipaige2004
Mouseketeer

We got the Race Retreat for us and our families too - same thinking as posted earlier - we wanted it to be fun for the kids and low stress for our cheerleaders. And WE wanted to go VIP for the retreat and not be rushed through it afterwards!!! This way, the kids can have something fun to do as well. And if the weather is not in our favour (knock wood), at least we will know they are warm while we run!

I would also love to hear from others who have done the Platinum ChEAR Squad about what characters were available and what things were set up for the kids to do during the race.

I just ran my hardest race ever this weekend - 10K of hills, hills and more hills! But I PR'ed with 57:14 - so excited! One big step closer to the Princess!

Jodi

www.2princessesontherun.wordpress.com
Old 09-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #2345
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_princess View Post
It will take a couple of hours from Denmark to Iceland and then 9 hours to Orlando... It's a long trip But because of the time difference, it will be quite easy for me to get up at 2.30 on race morning. We arrive on Friday evening, so I'll go to bed and get up early on Saturday. Then it should be a little easier to get up that early on Sunday.... I hope!
Wow !!! That's a long flight---but it's great that you will not have any trouble getting up early race morning !!
Old 09-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #2346
smileyk8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_princess

It will take a couple of hours from Denmark to Iceland and then 9 hours to Orlando... It's a long trip But because of the time difference, it will be quite easy for me to get up at 2.30 on race morning. We arrive on Friday evening, so I'll go to bed and get up early on Saturday. Then it should be a little easier to get up that early on Sunday.... I hope!
I found the time difference really helpful for races. Coming from the UK we always wake between 4-5am during the first few holiday days... Perfect
Boston Marathon 2009 4hrs 22minsPrincess half marathon 2009 1hour 56mins, 57secs Walt Disney World Marathon 2010 4hrs 7minsRoyal parks half 2010 1:52:19WDW Wine and Dine 2013 1:50:16
Old 09-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #2347
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Nice job! You will get faster with time, but you can also use a few calculators online to try to guesstimate where you might be at this point.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index...sage/calculate

At current 1:06 for 5 miles you would be in the 3:04 hr range for a half according to mcmillan.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 09-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #2348
christinascreative
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
Nice job! You will get faster with time, but you can also use a few calculators online to try to guesstimate where you might be at this point.

At current 1:06 for 5 miles you would be in the 3:04 hr range for a half according to mcmillan.
I'm hoping I get faster with time! That's got sweeper written all over it, no?

[/img]
Old 09-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #2349
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm hoping I get faster with time! That's got sweeper written all over it, no?
If you're at a 13:20 pace now and just keep that with no improvement, you're ahead of the sweepers. They start after the last person crosses the start line and pick up anyone not maintaining a 16 minute/mile pace. So..even if you are the absolute last person across the start line, and you keep the pace you're doing now, you will not be swept. The earlier you cross the start line, the further ahead of the sweeper you will be and you'll have some cushion in there.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #2350
christinascreative
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
If you're at a 13:20 pace now and just keep that with no improvement, you're ahead of the sweepers. They start after the last person crosses the start line and pick up anyone not maintaining a 16 minute/mile pace. So..even if you are the absolute last person across the start line, and you keep the pace you're doing now, you will not be swept. The earlier you cross the start line, the further ahead of the sweeper you will be and you'll have some cushion in there.
Whew ok. I thought they swept people over 3 hours for some reason but this makes more sense. I think I need afternoon coffee. :D

[/img]
Old 09-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #2351
MVBowers111
Mouseketeer

I hiope someone can help me...I signed up for the Princess this morning but when I got to the screen after paying, the screen said it was processing my credit card and could take up to three minutes, I waited for 10 and nothing happened. I sent an email to rundisney to ask if I was indeed registered or needed to do it again, but haven't heard back. Has anyone had this happen and the registration really had gone through? I just want to make sure I'm registered before the price goes up...

TIA
Old 09-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #2352
tstidm1
DIS Veteran

Thinking about doing the Royal Family 5K for my first 5k, but can't seem to find a separate thread on this. I am a guy (Can't do the 5K during Marathon due to doing a five day trip two months earlier) and am not sure whether it's a good first time 5K. This leads to my questions on this.

1. Do they allow walking for a 5K? I am simply trying to keep an 16-18 minute pace instead of a 15 minute pace.

2. How gentleman friendly is it? Will I be one of the few guys doing it?

3. How first timer friendly is it on things like hilliness and safety? Does the race fill up really early?

4. Is it smart to stay off site the night before? I know it starts fairly early that morning, but need to be careful with room costs because I will probably be doing it solo.

Thanks for your help on this.
June 2011 Off Site
July 2012 Pop Century
March 2013 All Star Sports
July 2014 Dis Exclusive ABD Backstage Magic

Maybe March 2015 trip to Universal Orlando (Going to the Dark Side maybe).
Old 09-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #2353
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstidm1 View Post
My DH is running it solo. He'll have the boys while I run Sunday so we're going to cheer him on Saturday at the 5K before the kids do their races. If you are on FB, there are lots of pictures posted of each event and you'll seen lots of guys doing the Royal Family 5K. You won't be the only one!

Old 09-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #2354
fashionista311
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post

mcmillan assumes you are running 70 miles/week, which clearly most of us aren't so you have to account for more fade, especially in a long distance race, then the calculator does
Old 09-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #2355
KristinU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipaige2004 View Post
I just ran my hardest race ever this weekend - 10K of hills, hills and more hills! But I PR'ed with 57:14 - so excited! One big step closer to the Princess!
Nice Job!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstidm1 View Post
Thinking about doing the Royal Family 5K for my first 5k, but can't seem to find a separate thread on this. I am a guy (Can't do the 5K during Marathon due to doing a five day trip two months earlier) and am not sure whether it's a good first time 5K. This leads to my questions on this.

1. Do they allow walking for a 5K? I am simply trying to keep an 16-18 minute pace instead of a 15 minute pace.

3. How first timer friendly is it on things like hilliness and safety? Does the race fill up really early?

4. Is it smart to stay off site the night before? I know it starts fairly early that morning, but need to be careful with room costs because I will probably be doing it solo.

Thanks for your help on this.
My DH did the 5k in 2011. Based on what he said about the race, it is very first timer friendly. And he definitely didn't complain about being a guy. I don't remember the ratio, but I think a lot of men do it...especially if they also run but need to play support/babysitter for the half for their partner. Do know that the 5k isn't (or at least wasn't) chip timed, so if you want a real time you won't get one, but you'll be able to check the clock when you finish (my DH complained about this, but he's a pretty fast runner and it wasn't his first race.) It is definitely more of a fun run than a competitive race. And it is mostly through Epcot, so very very flat. It doesn't start too wicked early, so I think you'd be fine staying offsite and driving over for the race in the morning. Just allow yourself a nice ample amount of time.

1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 Joined DVC! BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! also in 2007 - started living Debt Free! - 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and sold DVC! (and yes, it's a good thing for us! ) and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: