Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #31
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

My last job did. I trained four people on what I did, Nd they still email me several times a week with questions. I was extremely overloaded with other people's work, and I let supervisor know that I was tired of it for several months but nothing changed. She begged me not to go, made sure I knew she appreciated thati worked hard, etc., but that didn't take any of the stress off and I couldn't take it anymore. I left as soon as I found another job. They didn't get to replace me, and the girl that got more than half of what I had, in addition to what she already did, is about to leave also.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #32
U2_rocks!
The DISer formerly known as U2_rocks - member since Oct 2005
I wasn't a "bad girl", but I wasn't little miss perfect either!

My client relationships and in-depth knowledge of my clients' businesses and financials would make it hard to replace me immediately - the company would suffer a little. What would make it harder is my terrible filing! I share a personal assistant and she's busy enough that I don't ask her to take of all my filing, so it's always in a bit of disarray. I am good at the technical and human side of what I do - I suck at the admin/paperwork side.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #33
A_Princess'_Daddy
DIS Veteran

My manager would be quite surprised, but as somebody posted earlier, nobody is irreplaceable and while I am senior enough, and generate enough millions of dollars in revenue for my firm to be valuable, that they'd ask why, and likely try to placate my concerns if possible, if I walked out on my job the sun would come up the next day and life would go on for my employer. Fortunately I love what I do and love my employer, so the odds of that happening are virtually zero.

My team knows that if they have concerns about their jobs, want to discuss advancement opportunities, or just want to come in and talk, that my door is always wide open and that I'll work with them however I can. They also know that if they come in and threaten to quit in order to attempt to extract a concession from me, they will be invited to leave the firm immediately. I only have one person on my team who I view as "nearly irreplaceable," due to her skillset, but she is also my most loyal employee and I work very hard to ensure that she, as well as the entire team, knows that I value them.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #34
ZephyrHawk
I can nicker too, but I'm not nearly as embarrassed about that
Please don't ski with your kid on a leash
I firmly believe in ghostly figments of my imagination

I am totally replaceable, but my boss would still freak out. He can be difficult to work with, and because he's aware of that, he's very sensitive about keeping his personal team members on staff.

Polynesian Village (1983), Polynesian Village (1986), Grand Floridian (1989), All Star Sports (1997), Disneyland (1998), All Star Movies (2000), Port Orleans - French Quarter (2001), All Star Music (2002), Disneyland (2004), Wilderness Lodge (2007), Pop Century (2010), Saratoga Springs (2013), and Disney Land and Sea Extravaganza (coming Nov/Dec 2015)
ZephyrHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #35
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

I am sure my supervisor and dept would be fine.

Although, I think one of the owners would be a little rattled. I work on a lot of special projects with him that involves personal information for the family (it's a family owned company). I know he'd get over it but I think he would be a little upset at first.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #36
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

No one would blink an eye.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #37
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Nah- they could find someone to do my job pretty easily- but I do know that I am well liked and well respected by the families we serve, and would be missed by them.

I have no plans of going anywhere though- I love my job!
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #38
mill4023
DIS Veteran

I actually just gave notice last week.
This Friday is my last day here.
The first word out of my boss's mouth is something I'm not allowed to post here.
Actually, I can't post the first comments that quite a few people said when they found out I was leaving.
I'm a software developer in a manufacturing company, but about half my time is spent supporting all of our applications and systems. At this point, I know 10 times as much about our systems than anyone else here.

The biggest think I'm hearing from people in production is "Who is going to fix our issues when things aren't working and we have a shipment waiting to go to the customer?"

We have some smart people in IT, so they will figure it out, but it's going to take them a lot longer to fix things than it took me.
September, 2007 - Pop Century
June, 2011 - Indian Creek Villa

Fun family games for a road trip

The 9 best iPhone apps for a road trip
mill4023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #39
klacey1
DIS Veteran

I just gave my notice and my company is splitting my job into three separate positions...so yeah, they panicked. Burns me to think of the money they screwed me out of while I was there!

September 2013: PTR, TR, Dining Report
August 2011: PTR, TR, Dining Report
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #40
jp24
Panic Ruminator

Since I'm the business owner and it's only employee, I'd have to say YES!!
Old 09-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #41
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
Makes the best Apple Pie on her block!
My driver's license will say "Florida Resident" one day!
I blame Jaws

giggle...giggle...snort...ha..ha-haaaaa...BWAHAHAAAHAAAA!::rot fl:

OMG...thanks for the laugh today, I really needed it....
Ummm, my Co. would replace me and anyone in it if they could get away with paying under minimum wage. I ahve seen my hours go from 50 a week to 12 and anywhere in-between. My other full time job, as caretaker for my mom, now that's another situation entirely. Yes, that would create quite a problem if I threatened to quit~ tho there are times that I know a professional is far better qualified for what she needs, my price is of zero is what we can afford. Not only do I not charge , we support her.
Dan's IN to the Hall of Fame!

FINFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #42
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-key View Post
job, would they panic ?

nope, I am easily replaceable, they like me, but a replacement wouldn't be to hard to find
They would be totally panicked! It's bad enough if I'm out sick for one day. I am the school nurse so if I ever decide to quit I'll have to give them 4-6weeks AT LEAST, so they can try to get a replacement nurse.

As we school nurses like to say, "Lice~it's job security!"
Old 09-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #43
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I'm in upper management. I've been on the boards here long enough to know that people at my level are totally worthless. I'm sure I wouldn't even need to be replaced.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #44
tasha99
DIS Veteran

There would be panic at my school, too. I'm an speech language pathologist, and our district is already short at least 1 slp. Once they got me replaced, all would be good, but it would be a mess for a while. Of course, unless I had a really good reason, I couldn't just quit. I have a contract and wouldn't work in the state again if I breached it.
tasha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #45
cousinbb
Burn the Bridge of Retreat

Yea they would panic if I left for no reason. The company has high hopes for me, that I didn't sign up for, so they've been training me like crazy to do everything.Am I replaceable? yes but there will be some hair pulling

My Sept.trip report of 2008
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1964578
Our Italian waiter was flirting with us!!trip report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2313132
cousinbb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: