Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #16
KristinU
DIS Veteran
 
KristinU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 2,476

I've done two RnR events (Philly and DC) and I'm about to do a third this Sunday (Montreal.) DC was the inagural year and it was just fine. We did have a transportation challenge to the start (metro station was packed and very few cabs available...and when we snagged a cab of course all the streets were closed for the course...but we made it!) I noticed that next year it starts by the mall so that should help. So yeah, I guess that they'll have some logistical bugs to work out in the first year, but not enough to turn me away. If I'm not mistaken, Montreal is the inagural year (and we're planning on hopping on the metro WAY early...learned from DC!)

They're fun events, well done, and the expos are fantastic. And if you're a medal junkie, the more RnR events you do in a calendar year the more medals you get.

And Mickey's gal - thanks for including 40's in your "younger set" comment...that makes my day! And just to echo others' comments, I saw all ages at both races - no worries!
__________________


1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 Joined DVC! BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! also in 2007 - started living Debt Free! - 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and sold DVC! (and yes, it's a good thing for us! ) and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend!
KristinU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #17
DisneyParrothead
Mouseketeer
 
DisneyParrothead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 316

Has anybody here done the Dallas RNR half? What did you think?
__________________
"It's not my fault being the biggest and the strongest. I don't even exercise."

Disney Princess half marathon 2012

MetroPCS Dallas half marathon 2012


Eugene half marathon 2013

WDW Half Marathon 2014



http://inlesleyscorner.blogspot.com/
DisneyParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #18
poohbear8
DIS Veteran
 
poohbear8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 929

For those who have done them, do you see a good amount of walk/runners? I am still new to running. I have been training for the TOT next week and ran a local 10k in July. There were very few walk/runners and I felt very intimidated with everyone zipping by me. I found the runners in this area are just that, "runners"!

I have considered doing the DC one next year. VA Beach was too close to school starting for me to make it this year.
poohbear8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #19
Goofierunner
Mickey says, "Now get out there and run!"
 
Goofierunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 121

I've done two: Seattle and Chicago. There are all kinds of people participating. Runners, walkers, run/walkers. All ages, all shapes and sizes. As others have said, it's a pretty smooth operation. Lots of support along the way. I've also volunteered at the expo at Seattle checking the runners in and giving out numbers and that was a lot of fun.
__________________
Pain is temporary. Pride (and your finisher shirt) is forever.

First I do this Then I do this but I wish I was at
Goofierunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #20
poohbear8
DIS Veteran
 
poohbear8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofierunner View Post
I've done two: Seattle and Chicago. There are all kinds of people participating. Runners, walkers, run/walkers. All ages, all shapes and sizes. As others have said, it's a pretty smooth operation. Lots of support along the way. I've also volunteered at the expo at Seattle checking the runners in and giving out numbers and that was a lot of fun.

Thanks for the info! I will probably do the DC one in March.
poohbear8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:00 AM   #21
hungrygreenhippo
Mouseketeer
 
hungrygreenhippo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyParrothead View Post
Has anybody here done the Dallas RNR half? What did you think?
Is there anything specific you're wondering about? I did it in 2010 so my memory is a little hazy, but overall I really enjoyed it and can't think of anything negative to report.
hungrygreenhippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:39 AM   #22
gjramsey
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyParrothead View Post
Has anybody here done the Dallas RNR half? What did you think?
I did it this year. Well organized and very warm. Start time was 8am, and by the finish, it was well into the 80s. Finish line festival was around the Cotton Bowl and very little shade. Course is really nice, with most of the first half gradually uphill, and the last 5 miles slightly downhill (I never noticed the downhill part...). I liked the final mile or so running through Fair Park and around the Cotton Bowl.

I enjoyed it, and will probably do it again, but next Feb I am going to run NOLA RNR.
gjramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #23
KristinU
DIS Veteran
 
KristinU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 2,476

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear8 View Post
For those who have done them, do you see a good amount of walk/runners? I am still new to running. I have been training for the TOT next week and ran a local 10k in July. There were very few walk/runners and I felt very intimidated with everyone zipping by me. I found the runners in this area are just that, "runners"!

I have considered doing the DC one next year. VA Beach was too close to school starting for me to make it this year.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, DH and I had Montreal RnR on the calendar for yesterday - it was a great race! So I had this and the age question in my head as the race was going on. As for the earlier age question - deifinitely all ages, but to be honest I think the majority of folks I was were in the 30's - 50's range, but plenty of everybody. And as for the run-walking, I did see a few folks run-walking. The nice thing, though, about these big races is the corralled starts, so if you're in the right corral you're in with folks about the same pace...so nobody zipping by you making you feel discouraged. There certainly are fasties and elites at the RnR races...Montreal had a full and a half (and a 10k and 5k as well) - the full and half started together and shared the same finish line...as I was finishing yesterday right about 2 hours the first full finisher was coming in! So yeah, definitely serious runners in these things! But with the corraled starts, you don't need to worry about being slower than others, there were 18 corrals yesterday...and I certainly never saw the elites back from my spot in corral 10 Thie thing I've found with the small local races is that it seems like the smaller and less known they are, the more fast runners there are.

Go for it with DC! You won't be disappointed!!! Oh, and we were talking to a guy yesterday who did VA beach and he said it was wicked hot and just gross. It was a hot summer everywhere, but I just don't know that I'd sign up for a summer race. As it was, I found it really tough to train well for this September race - just a gross summer!
__________________


1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 Joined DVC! BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! also in 2007 - started living Debt Free! - 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and sold DVC! (and yes, it's a good thing for us! ) and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend!
KristinU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #24
DisneyParrothead
Mouseketeer
 
DisneyParrothead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungrygreenhippo View Post
Is there anything specific you're wondering about? I did it in 2010 so my memory is a little hazy, but overall I really enjoyed it and can't think of anything negative to report.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjramsey View Post
I did it this year. Well organized and very warm. Start time was 8am, and by the finish, it was well into the 80s. Finish line festival was around the Cotton Bowl and very little shade. Course is really nice, with most of the first half gradually uphill, and the last 5 miles slightly downhill (I never noticed the downhill part...). I liked the final mile or so running through Fair Park and around the Cotton Bowl.

I enjoyed it, and will probably do it again, but next Feb I am going to run NOLA RNR.
Just what the entertainment on the course was like, goody bag, course, etc. I'm looking to stay more close to home and I'm asking questions about races that friends have done. I'm doing the White Rock half in December, but I don't have anything lined up for next year.
__________________
"It's not my fault being the biggest and the strongest. I don't even exercise."

Disney Princess half marathon 2012

MetroPCS Dallas half marathon 2012


Eugene half marathon 2013

WDW Half Marathon 2014



http://inlesleyscorner.blogspot.com/
DisneyParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #25
gjramsey
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyParrothead View Post
Just what the entertainment on the course was like, goody bag, course, etc. I'm looking to stay more close to home and I'm asking questions about races that friends have done. I'm doing the White Rock half in December, but I don't have anything lined up for next year.
I thought the entertainment was excellent, seemed like there was a stage every mile or so. Mostly classic rock cover bands that were excellent. A couple that were playing blues music. Goodie bag was mostly coupons and the like..not much really. Looking at the White Rock route, it looks like part of that route is the same as RNR did.

here is a link to my Garmin data for the RNR course, and I imagine it will be close to the same route. Dallas Half
gjramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #26
Rupert B Puppenstein
DIS Veteran
 
Rupert B Puppenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,537

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinU View Post
As I mentioned in an earlier post, DH and I had Montreal RnR on the calendar for yesterday - it was a great race! So I had this and the age question in my head as the race was going on. As for the earlier age question - deifinitely all ages, but to be honest I think the majority of folks I was were in the 30's - 50's range, but plenty of everybody. And as for the run-walking, I did see a few folks run-walking. The nice thing, though, about these big races is the corralled starts, so if you're in the right corral you're in with folks about the same pace...so nobody zipping by you making you feel discouraged. There certainly are fasties and elites at the RnR races...Montreal had a full and a half (and a 10k and 5k as well) - the full and half started together and shared the same finish line...as I was finishing yesterday right about 2 hours the first full finisher was coming in! So yeah, definitely serious runners in these things! But with the corraled starts, you don't need to worry about being slower than others, there were 18 corrals yesterday...and I certainly never saw the elites back from my spot in corral 10 Thie thing I've found with the small local races is that it seems like the smaller and less known they are, the more fast runners there are.

Go for it with DC! You won't be disappointed!!! Oh, and we were talking to a guy yesterday who did VA beach and he said it was wicked hot and just gross. It was a hot summer everywhere, but I just don't know that I'd sign up for a summer race. As it was, I found it really tough to train well for this September race - just a gross summer!
Glad you had a good time. That is one I was thinking about adding to my list. How was the Expo? Were there a lot of vendors? Did you get a lot of freebies? Definitely agree with the small race comment. It was discouraging at first to be around so many speedy runners, but I think ultimately, it helped with the motivation to keep improving a little bit at a time.
__________________
Rupert B Puppenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #27
johde
DIS Veteran
 
johde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,547

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear8 View Post
For those who have done them, do you see a good amount of walk/runners? I am still new to running. I have been training for the TOT next week and ran a local 10k in July. There were very few walk/runners and I felt very intimidated with everyone zipping by me. I found the runners in this area are just that, "runners"!

I have considered doing the DC one next year. VA Beach was too close to school starting for me to make it this year.
Around here there are a few run/walkers. That being said, I've never been intimidated in a race. That being said, I've only done one 10K and it was part of a big race. It could have been a function of the 10K distance. I'm sure a lot of walkers either just do 5K's or jump up to half marathons. 10K could be stuck in the middle and attract the more serious runners. One thing I do before entering in a race that's been done before is look at last years results to see if there are people my speed in the race.

From what I understand of the RNR events most of them are fairly walker friendly and attract a fair number of walkers.
__________________
Jeremy

Several Trips off site and at Grandma house going back to 1976
Dec 2002 OKW; Dec 2003 OKW; Sept 2004 BWV&OKW; Dec 2005 OKW Sept 2006 BWV: Sept 2007 BWV & AKV
Dec 2009 AKV & BWV: Sept 2011 VCG and the Disneyland Half Marathon: Jan 2013 OKW and AKV New years at Disney. Jan. 2015 AKV/ Cabana Bay?
johde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #28
KristinU
DIS Veteran
 
KristinU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 2,476

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert B Puppenstein View Post
Glad you had a good time. That is one I was thinking about adding to my list. How was the Expo? Were there a lot of vendors? Did you get a lot of freebies?
Actually DH and I were both left a little flat by the expo. It was good, but not spectacular. Philly was the best I've been to, followed by DC. The freebies at Montreal were mostly yogurt and juice. A few coupons that we can't redeem here in the states and a handful of clothing and gear vendors. I did get some new Bondibands, which I was after, so I was happy. I was also hoping to pick up some new Experia socks, but the prices were not as good as my local running store, so I passed.

But I would add it to my list anyway - the course was beautiful and flat, there were supportive crowds at a whole lot of points along the route, and Montreal is cool to poke around...I wish we would have planned for an extra day after the race for sure.

Oh, and it really would help if you know some French...that was a bit humbling. I have a friend who is French Canadian and she had advised me before we went up that most everyone is bilingual, but she had said it would be nice if I did the greetings and thank-yous in French. I did learn my little niceties and it was nice and felt appropriate, and true that most people were very nice and spoke in english to us, but all of the signs and everything are completely French. So it was a cool immersion, I just wish I understood more. The race countdown was in French too, which of course I figured out
__________________


1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 Joined DVC! BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! also in 2007 - started living Debt Free! - 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and sold DVC! (and yes, it's a good thing for us! ) and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend!
KristinU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #29
Rupert B Puppenstein
DIS Veteran
 
Rupert B Puppenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,537

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinU View Post
Actually DH and I were both left a little flat by the expo. It was good, but not spectacular. Philly was the best I've been to, followed by DC. The freebies at Montreal were mostly yogurt and juice. A few coupons that we can't redeem here in the states and a handful of clothing and gear vendors. I did get some new Bondibands, which I was after, so I was happy. I was also hoping to pick up some new Experia socks, but the prices were not as good as my local running store, so I passed.

But I would add it to my list anyway - the course was beautiful and flat, there were supportive crowds at a whole lot of points along the route, and Montreal is cool to poke around...I wish we would have planned for an extra day after the race for sure.

Oh, and it really would help if you know some French...that was a bit humbling. I have a friend who is French Canadian and she had advised me before we went up that most everyone is bilingual, but she had said it would be nice if I did the greetings and thank-yous in French. I did learn my little niceties and it was nice and felt appropriate, and true that most people were very nice and spoke in english to us, but all of the signs and everything are completely French. So it was a cool immersion, I just wish I understood more. The race countdown was in French too, which of course I figured out
Good point! I don't know any french, but will definitely have to study up. Bummer that the Expo wasn't as nice as most of the RNR events. I never spent so much time at an Expo until the RNR Chicago. So, I am eager to see how others are. Next up, Savannah. Hope that is a good one.
__________________
Rupert B Puppenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #30
JeffW
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 73

I just finished the Denver full marathon this past weekend, I thought it was really well run. The expo had quite a bit of free stuff, and the course support was great. They only had GU at two places along the full course, so take your own if that isn't enough for you (I needed a few more than that). They also switched to Gatorade from Cytomax, if that is important to you.

The bands were spaced every mile until mile 12, where the full course split off. The bands were a little more spaced out for 13-26, but still good.

They placed people in 16 starting corrals for Denver, with both full and half runners combined. There seemed to be a pretty good mix of all age groups and abilities. The mix was probably 3/4 half to 1/4 full marathon runners.

Overall, I liked it and wouldn't hesitate to sign up again
JeffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.