Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #91
Sparrow78
Mouseketeer

We are flying into Houston on Thursday for our Friday Cruise. WHat's the best way to get to Galveston? When I first looked at super shuttle I swear it said $170!

Any hotels have shuttles to pick up in Houston? Or anyone know of a cheaper shuttle? Train? Bus?

Our flight comes in at 6pm and my TA hasn't gotten back to us on what hotel Disney *must* have a deal with in Houston which would then allow us to take the disney shuttle.

Sailing on the Magic again! Jan 25, 2015!

------
8 night Magic Cruise - Jan 18, 2013

Paradise Pier Hotel May 20-26, 2012
WDW August 7-14 2010
2nd DL trip! May 18-25, 2004
1st DL visit... 1 day rushed trip May 2001
Sparrow78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:38 AM   #92
cruisemaniac2011
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow78 View Post
We are flying into Houston on Thursday for our Friday Cruise. WHat's the best way to get to Galveston? When I first looked at super shuttle I swear it said $170!

Any hotels have shuttles to pick up in Houston? Or anyone know of a cheaper shuttle? Train? Bus?

Our flight comes in at 6pm and my TA hasn't gotten back to us on what hotel Disney *must* have a deal with in Houston which would then allow us to take the disney shuttle.
We are flying into IAH and Disney offered rooms at the Marriott hotel and then said we could add Disney transfers for $30 each way per person. I've checked several other options (one-way car rental, Super Shuttle, taxis, limos, etc.) and couldn't find anything better.
cruisemaniac2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #93
Sparrow78
Mouseketeer

Do you recall the price of the rooms? When I looked online they were $250 a night. For that price I'd rather pay the $170 super shuttle to Galveston!

------

WDW August 7-14 2010
Old 09-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #94
alaskanabbott
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Do you recall the price of the rooms? When I looked online they were $250 a night. For that price I'd rather pay the $170 super shuttle to Galveston!
I did an online quote and got $170 also, but it was round trip. Thats for all 8 of us, the towncar at super shuttle was only $135, but only fit 3. Look again and see if its round trip.
TR-THE WEEK OF YES!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2428215
GKTW-3/10 ASMO-2/11 Disney Wonder-2/12Disney Wonder-11/12Disney Magic-1/13
alaskanabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #95
cruisemaniac2011
Earning My Ears

Quote:
The Marriott at IAH was $118. Also, I just checked Super Shuttle again and it is $170 one-way or $338 round-trip before tax and tip.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #96
Golden Rose
Princess by Choice

Quote:
I really hate to be a bearer of bad tidings, but we've had terrible luck with Super Shuttle in Houston. We had a rude driver who played loud, obnoxious music and angrily turned it down only a small amount when we mentioned that it was loud. He took a very strange route to the airport during the middle of rush hour, that added something like an hour to the drive. Seriously, the man detoured to go straight through downtown on surface streets during rush hour. (We were trying to catch an international flight, so we'd allowed extra time, but we were pretty panicked by the end of the drive.) He was not just unfriendly, but rude.

It was such an awful and stressful experience that my mom canceled our prepaid super shuttle return and hired two towncars from a service she has used often for work, since the whole reason we decided to try super shuttle was that our favorite towncar service couldn't handle our group in a single car. I don't recommend our local super shuttle to anyone after that.

(me) (DH) (DS 8) (DD 3) (4 cats) (52 fish) (and a frog)
Golden Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #97
Sparrow78
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisemaniac2011 View Post
The Marriott at IAH was $118. Also, I just checked Super Shuttle again and it is $170 one-way or $338 round-trip before tax and tip.
So that must have been the rate Disney secured then? I'll have my TA look because again this morning I checked and the rate was $259!

------

WDW August 7-14 2010
Old 09-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #98
Candy Apple
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Rose View Post
I really hate to be a bearer of bad tidings, but we've had terrible luck with Super Shuttle in Houston. We had a rude driver who played loud, obnoxious music and angrily turned it down only a small amount when we mentioned that it was loud. He took a very strange route to the airport during the middle of rush hour, that added something like an hour to the drive. Seriously, the man detoured to go straight through downtown on surface streets during rush hour. (We were trying to catch an international flight, so we'd allowed extra time, but we were pretty panicked by the end of the drive.) He was not just unfriendly, but rude.

It was such an awful and stressful experience that my mom canceled our prepaid super shuttle return and hired two towncars from a service she has used often for work, since the whole reason we decided to try super shuttle was that our favorite towncar service couldn't handle our group in a single car. I don't recommend our local super shuttle to anyone after that.
Which towncar service did you use?
Old 09-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #99
1DCL11
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksucats View Post
Does anybody have a experience with the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort? I have that booked mainly because I was able to get it on points.
My sister stays there EVERY time she is in Galveston. I have never stayed there, but she LOVES it !!!
Old 09-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #100
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

We drove down Saturday to welcome the Magic to Texas. The girls had a great time around Galveston Saturday and I got some nice pictures of the Magic in Galveston to add to my collection of Magic pictures.

The weather was perfect, the water was warm and everyone was super friendly.

We drove down to the pier and parked near the Strand. We walked around the Strand where they were having a shrimp festival. We took a harbor cruise and toured the maritime museum. The dolphins were our in full on our cruise so we got to see the dolphins and take great pictures of the Magic. We had lunch on the Strand and then went to the beach for a bit before heading down to wave at the Magic as she left.

IMG_5729 by peachygreen2010, on Flickr

Due to the dresses the girls had on, I think everyone we passed in Galveston asked if we were going on the Disney cruise? I responded "No, we are just here to Welcome her to Texas."

When we were in Galveston last March we spent a lot of time on the Strand. The Railroad museum was excellent. The Pirate museum was fun but a little pricey for what you get. The Elissa was very cool (unfortunately she wasn't there this weekend, I think some of that had to do with the ceremony for the Navy Ship (the Fort Worth I think))

I loved the cowboy hat that the Mickey on the smokestack was sporting when we pulled in. Unfortunately they took it down before we could get a picture of it. I was hoping they would leave it up at least for her to pull out of Galveston, but I think it was down before they even started boarding.

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #101
1DCL11
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggroll View Post
When I cruised from galveston, the doors opened at 1030-1045 am. This is rather consistent.
There are only two cruise terminals here, and they have the same entrance. We don't know if it's terminal one or two.
We were in Galveston this weekend and watched the Disney Magic sail out for the first time. They are sailing from terminal 2. Terminal 1 is the Carnival terminal.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #102
Golden Rose
Princess by Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Apple View Post
Which towncar service did you use?
We used Ralph's Town Car and Limo. They aren't cheap, but my mom has used them for years when she traveled for work, and they have always been professional, polite, and on time. (I think she's used them occasionally for more than 20 years now.) I have no idea if they do from the airport to Galveston, though; we've just used them from the airport to central Houston. When I've had dealings with them, I've always been impressed.

(me) (DH) (DS 8) (DD 3) (4 cats) (52 fish) (and a frog)
Golden Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #103
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

Are Disney shuttles not available from Hobby? I'm trying to decide what to do. We are looking at a flight that gets into Hobby at 8 pm the night before the cruise. Not sure how we would get to Galveston that late in the evening so it seems we would stay near the airport then catch a shuttle Saturday morning to the pier. Any ideas on what options we have?
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #104
ljknecht570
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post

All of the above is based on "normal" conditions -- if it's raining, if anyone is playing smash-'em-up on the freeway, anything not optimal, add a bunch more time.

I'm not trying to be a downer, but hubby really needs to finagle his way out of that conference thing if y'all want to make this cruise.
Thanks for the advice! You are not being a downer! I love the REAL TIME advice! It works on paper from google maps, but when does anything really translate into reality!

No way to get out of the seminar--he is the presenter! But I did get him to shorten the time. We should be done by about 12:30 now.

Did they email you to let you know when all aboard time was? I haven't heard anything for ours yet.
ljknecht570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #105
cruisemaniac2011
Earning My Ears

Quote:
So that must have been the rate Disney secured then? I'll have my TA look because again this morning I checked and the rate was $259!
Yes that rate is for Disney guests. Disney said you needed to book the room through your travel agent unless you booked direct with Disney.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: