Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #11
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar411 View Post
Minnie-Mickey,

I've been uploading photos to shutterfly and making books that way. I am starting with '06 just because it was handy right when I decided to make the book. LOL But my parents are scanning in all the old photos and cleaning them up using photoshop. I can't seem to understand photoshop so I've left the scanning up to my step-dad. But if you just wanted to do it without messing with the picture I know there are handheld scanners that would probably make quick work of it.

With shutterfly I just let it make my books and then went into self edit mode to move frames around and use the story board feature to place all the photos I wanted on the same page.

Here's the one I made for the 2nd half of '06, just to give you an idea how they come out. It took a lot of hours to make just the one esp because I didn't want to end up with a million pages in the book. LOL

Thanks! I had not considered doing that but think I will now after seeing your book - so cute!! I have a ton of misc photos that don't really go with any particular event and it'd be cute to make one of each kid. Then maybe one of family shots, oh, the possibilities are endless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
Photos are my downfall. A few things, first go through the photos quickly.
Step 1 - get rid of any photos of people you don't know or don't have means to identify.
Step 2 - Purge all blurry photos
Step 3 - Purge duplicates
Step 4 -Make piles to mail to family and friends of their kids/family/etc.
Step 5 - Sort into some sort of categories. I have most photos sorted chronologically but I also have sections for each kid. Most of these are either pictures that I don't know the date of or are extras of school pics, photo sessions, etc.
Negatives go into a binder with negative sleeves.
If you have or are doing digital backups or make sure you have multiple back ups. Websites crash or go out of business, iClouds can be compromised, discs can get scratched, hard drives can fail. I have a binder of CD's at mom's house, I have a binder of CD's here, I have an external hard drive and all of my pics on my laptop.
I accidentally deleted my iPhoto once losing 30,000+ pics. It took 3 days but DH was able to recover 95% of my pics. I have done multiple back ups of everything now.

As for albums:
I have a school album for each kid. Each 2 page layout has a fall and spring picture, class picture, report card and either a hand writing sample, a favorite project or a drawing.
They each have a sports album, in chronological order.
Disney albums are by trip but each trip typically takes up 2 albums so I am switching to Digital for those going forward.
The rest I do an album a year all chronological. I started following Becky Higgins Project 365 but now she is doing Project life. I use Creative Memories picfolio albums because I can slide the pics in, journal a little and it's done.
These I plan to do digitally in the future as well because the albums take up a lot of room.
Yes, I learned my lesson on back ups when my computer died and the back up external hard drive broke in the same week! Luckily, I was able to buy a hard drive enclosure and rescue both drives.

Love those guidelines! And that shadowbox is a great idea. I have some ideas of things I want to make w/the kids' things.

Thanks to everyone for the motivation & ideas! I now have shadowboxes and a photo scanner on my wish list. We have a scanner but it's pretty slow for the amount of photos I'd need to scan.

Based on reading here, I got inspired to tackle some of my boxes. I was able to sort things into one box of portrait package pics, one box plus of albums - finished & empty, and sorted a big stack of photos into kids and specific events. I still have more boxes but I'm starting to see how things are becoming more manageable. Next I'm going to take the portraits, make a book for each kid and toss all the leftovers.

I tossed a bag of photos and trash and feel much better about organizing the rest now. I also sorted through a file box of papers and collected a big bag of extra papers from a file box to shred. Last night, I went through more papers and now have our important stuff in one box. It feels good to finally start this because I've been avoiding this project for too long!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: