Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
it's kelly
Mouseketeer

AKL Magical Express

Apparently, there was an issue with using ME at AKL. The bad part is we didn't learn this until we got back to NY and our luggage didn't.

We were told that there was a problem with ME and the luggage making it's way to the airport. I'm not sure if this was just at AKL or all Disney resorts. Thankfully, our stuff was going out on the next flight and they will be delivering it to me tomorrow.

09/08 Pop with DH
09/10 POFQ with DH
09/12 AKL with DH
it's kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by it's kelly View Post
Apparently, there was an issue with using ME at AKL. The bad part is we didn't learn this until we got back to NY and our luggage didn't.

We were told that there was a problem with ME and the luggage making it's way to the airport. I'm not sure if this was just at AKL or all Disney resorts. Thankfully, our stuff was going out on the next flight and they will be delivering it to me tomorrow.
Was there a problem with DME or with Resort Airline Check-in? Those are two separate services?
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
sndral
DIS Veteran

I'm confused, if DME was transporting your luggage you would have handed it to the DME driver who would have put it under the bus and then you would have collected it from the DME driver when you got off the bus at the airport terminal and you would have checked it in at the airline check in counter & shown your ID for security @ that time. So how could there be "some confusion?" AKL has nothing to do w/ DME or getting your luggage to the airport. AKL does have Bell services, but that's like a manned closet for stashing things until you reclaim them and has nothing to do w/ DME or w/ airline luggage check in, well the bellman would probably wheel your stuff out to the DME bus stop if you asked him/her to and leave it next to you, but that's all.
Did you check your bags w/ the RAC (Resort airline check in - open from 5am-1pm, I think.) desk? RAC is operated by BAGs, inc. and is not related to AKL or to DME - RAC is an airport curbside luggage check in service that is located @ WDW resorts - hence the need to show ID when you check your bags. Is that where the mix up happened?

Last edited by sndral; 09-23-2012 at 10:29 PM.
sndral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:15 AM   #4
SIMJUN
Mouseketeer

The last three times we have been to WDW, we have stayed at Kidani, we always use ME. We have not had a problme with luggage.

Maybe it was a problem on that day.
SIMJUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
it's kelly
Mouseketeer

We used the airline check-in at AKL and then traveled to the airport with ME. What happened to my luggage once I turned it over, I have no idea.

All I know is when I made it home and was paged into luggage services the woman said 'did you use magical express?' I replied 'yes' and she said 'the magical express bags didn't make it on the flight.'

I don't know how or where they got lost in the mix. All I'm going by is what I was told.

09/08 Pop with DH
09/10 POFQ with DH
09/12 AKL with DH
it's kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by it's kelly View Post
We used the airline check-in at AKL and then traveled to the airport with ME. What happened to my luggage once I turned it over, I have no idea.

All I know is when I made it home and was paged into luggage services the woman said 'did you use magical express?' I replied 'yes' and she said 'the magical express bags didn't make it on the flight.'

I don't know how or where they got lost in the mix. All I'm going by is what I was told.
What posters are getting at is that DME and RAC are technically separate services and using one is not required to use the other (unlike the luggage transfer service for incoming passengers which is part of DME). In the end it doesn't matter to you in this situation and there's no reason to expect that a baggage services person at an airline would make the distinction.

Hard to say what happened. RAC transports large loads of luggage for multiple flights on trucks. If an individual truck broke down or was delayed in traffic or whatever, then some of the bags on that truck could have missed their flights.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: