Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
lucifie
DIS Veteran

Another stroller question...

I have 4 kids - 9, 7, 4 and 2. We'll be going to Disney in January. The 9 year old has special needs so we're going to see about getting her an adaptive stroller. I want to have a double stroller because the 2 year old will need it and even though the 4 year old and 7 year old haven't ridden in a stroller in a while, I want to have the option for one or both of them to ride occasionally. The question is what to use for a double. We have a double stroller, but it's a beast. It's like driving a bus and it's heavy and is still big when it's folded. We're driving down, but we might use the buses to get to and from the parks. I can't imagine wrestling with it to get it on and of the buses. We could rent one at the parks, but then we don't have anything to use between the parks and resort. Besides, we could probably buy a cheap umbrella-type double stroller for less than the cost of a rental. We could rent from one of the off-site companies, which would be less expensive for what looks like a better stroller and then we don't have to worry about what to do with it when we're done with it. We also have some friends who have a Sit n Stand that we might be able to borrow. I haven't asked them, but it's a possibility. I'm just afraid that the little seat on the SnS won't be enough if they're really tired.

WWYD?
Old 09-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
BubMunkeyBles
DIS Veteran

We're planning to rent a stroller for our 2 and 3 year old.

December 3-9, 2014- SSR and BWV
BubMunkeyBles is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
danicaca
Mouseketeer

We rented the Sit n Stand from Orlando Stroller Rentals 2 years ago, and it was great! Our DD2 was able to sleep in the front - and that is what she did most of the time- and our DD5 was able to ride on the back. It is just a little bench, so no napping, but it did give her little legs some rest. I did not find it to be bulky at all for bringing on the buses, the most annoying thing was emptying out the bottom before folding it up! We tended to um, collect a lot of "stuff" during our days in the parks! But that was the great thing - it held a lot of stuff! I am a little sad that we wont need it on our next trip - I liked the cup holders and storage! Good luck with your decision, and have a great trip!
No countdown for now, but a trip in December of this year or perhaps next is in the works - woo hoo!
danicaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
Msmithmd
DIS Veteran

We have three year old twins. Have been very happy with our Maclaren twin triumph stroller. The manufacturer is an airline seat company so they know how to maximize kid space in a minimal form. The only twin stroller I know that is side by side and fits thru a standard door frame. They are very expensive new but I just checked eBay and you can get a used one there in the $50 range including shipping, which is less than a one week stroller rental at DW! And all airlines will gate check it free, so you can use it easily on future non-driving trips as well. Folds down smaller than a lot of single strollers we've owned also. So I'd seriously look at buying one of these used instead of renting.
Msmithmd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
loricdietzel
Mouseketeer

My three year old slept in the back part of the sit and stand at Disney last year while her brother was in the front part. She sat on the little bench and rested her head on the seat in front of her kinda like it was a table. Not ideal, but it worked! I liked that she could get on and off as she needed. There were times she wanted to sit in the front, though, even though I think she was too big.
loricdietzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
lucifie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmithmd View Post
We have three year old twins. Have been very happy with our Maclaren twin triumph stroller. The manufacturer is an airline seat company so they know how to maximize kid space in a minimal form. The only twin stroller I know that is side by side and fits thru a standard door frame. They are very expensive new but I just checked eBay and you can get a used one there in the $50 range including shipping, which is less than a one week stroller rental at DW! And all airlines will gate check it free, so you can use it easily on future non-driving trips as well. Folds down smaller than a lot of single strollers we've owned also. So I'd seriously look at buying one of these used instead of renting.
Thanks for the rec. Most of the twin versions on Ebay look like they're $200-$300 for the buy it now price. I did place a bid on one, but I don't expect it to last.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
lucifie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricdietzel View Post
My three year old slept in the back part of the sit and stand at Disney last year while her brother was in the front part. She sat on the little bench and rested her head on the seat in front of her kinda like it was a table. Not ideal, but it worked! I liked that she could get on and off as she needed. There were times she wanted to sit in the front, though, even though I think she was too big.
A 3 year old was too big for the front? I guess if we borrowed the Sit n Stand, the bigger kids wouldn't even have the option of riding in the front. I had been thinking that with the double if everyone was totally exhausted in the evening if I had to I could put the 2 year old in the Ergo and let the other two ride, but since the 4 year old is almost as big as the 7 year old, that might not work.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
Ariel on Land
DIS Veteran

We used our joovy groove side by side double when we went last with our 3.5 year old twins. And we're thinking if we go again in the spring we will probably bring it again. We've now got a baby, but the boys, even at 5, I don't think can handle a whole day of walking without becoming miserable grumps. So we'll take the double again. I personally like the lightweight double umbrella styles. "Easy" to lug around (easy being comparative here... lol!) and maneuver well in the crowds.

1990-offsite, 1996-offsite, 2008-SOG, 2009-CBR, 2010-CBR, 2013- AoA, 2014-POP

Ariel on Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #9
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifie View Post
I have 4 kids - 9, 7, 4 and 2. We'll be going to Disney in January. The 9 year old has special needs so we're going to see about getting her an adaptive stroller. I want to have a double stroller because the 2 year old will need it and even though the 4 year old and 7 year old haven't ridden in a stroller in a while, I want to have the option for one or both of them to ride occasionally. The question is what to use for a double. We have a double stroller, but it's a beast. It's like driving a bus and it's heavy and is still big when it's folded. We're driving down, but we might use the buses to get to and from the parks. I can't imagine wrestling with it to get it on and of the buses. We could rent one at the parks, but then we don't have anything to use between the parks and resort. Besides, we could probably buy a cheap umbrella-type double stroller for less than the cost of a rental. We could rent from one of the off-site companies, which would be less expensive for what looks like a better stroller and then we don't have to worry about what to do with it when we're done with it. We also have some friends who have a Sit n Stand that we might be able to borrow. I haven't asked them, but it's a possibility. I'm just afraid that the little seat on the SnS won't be enough if they're really tired.

WWYD?
Since you will need a double, I would rent a City Mini for the week. That way you have it for getting to the car and all. I bought the single City Mini for our dd a few years ago. LOVE IT! The double would be quite a bit more, so I would just rent one. Orlando Stroller rentals has a banner at the top of the Disboards and I know there are other places that also rent them.
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(7)

Patiently (NOT) waiting for a new ticker

Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

I would rent a double citi mini from an offsite company (there are a lot, pick who is cheaper). Just so you know, I have a double maclaren for my 2 year old twins and HATE it. I cannot imagine pushing a 7 year old in it or a 4 year old.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:31 AM   #11
Lilliputian
DIS Veteran

If you can manage the 2 year old in an Ergo, then my plan would be to take a really good single stroller and just wear the 2 year old if the 4 year old had to sit down. In fact, I've done it that way when we had children about those ages.

I never pack strollers for anyone ages 4 and over. I do, however, always have at least one child younger than 4, and I take an Ergo-style carrier, so the youngest walker occasionally gets to ride. Mostly they just ride at night when we leave after fireworks or whatever the evening show is at that particular park. It's less about the fact that they can't walk and more about the fact that I don't want to lose them.

I would only buy a twin stroller if you're thinking your family isn't done yet and the double may get more use later. If you think that you're done and you really want a double, then rent it. Cheap double strollers will give you nothing but grief, so buying a cheap one just isn't worth it. Only buy one if you're going to get a really good one. I probably would rent off-site. Carrying a sleepy 2 year old while you wait for the bus is manageable for some families, but with a special needs older child, I wouldn't want to try it.
Lilliputian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:01 AM   #12
lucifie
DIS Veteran

You have a good point, lilliputian. We have a good single stroller and I'm planning on taking the Ergo. That way I'll have a stroller for either of the bigger kids if they need it and the 2 year old will probably want to walk some, too, so I wouldn't have to wear her constantly. I haven't tested her in the Ergo for long distances in quite a while, but I think it will be OK if I wear her on my back (or get the extension belt so DH can wear her ). I'll have to take her on a long walk somewhere to see how it goes. Since we're driving down I can always put the beast of a double stroller that we have in the van so it's there if we need it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: