Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #2851
2gr8DisneyKids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohs4me View Post
Oh goodness. I finished my 13 miles today and I have a low back muscle that is unhappy. Not sure how I do it but the left Q-L has been tightening way too much this training.

However, my husband said since I was doing 13, I should just go ahead and do the 0.1 more and make it the neighborhood half marathon so I did AND he MADE me a MEDAL. Can you believe it? He's always so supportive with water stops and such but this was just the best.
That is so sweet and super supportive! He is a great DH!

POLY 1979, POLY 1990, Treehouse 1993, one-day visit 1996, DL OS 2000, CR 2007, CBR 2009, POLY (Princess 1/2) & 3-night DCL 2010, POP 2010, 7-night NYE Eastern DCL 2010, 2011 AKL/POP and BLT/BC and OKW, 2012 POFQ/Vero Beach and AKV, 2013 POP (Goofy Race and a Half) and Vero Beach/CSR, 2014 AoA (Minnie 10K)
Old 09-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #2852
2gr8DisneyKids
DIS Veteran

2 questions...

So I ran my first 1/2 in a while and was close to my goal, finishing at 2:35. a 22 mph headwind and hills at each of the last 3 miles slowed me down, but I made it. Here is the question: is 2:35 for a 1/2 enough to get me in at 4:45 for the full? Or do I need to find a 10K to get a better time? (my 10K time today was 1:10:20.7 (broken out on the official results page, but not the certificate) but not sure if that is considered official and would count)

I also discovered that the sweet fuels (had tried gel/gu/etc and stopped them) and ended up thinking sport beans would be all good, but I have found the sweet things during the race just make me ill starting around mile 10. And I only eat one or two at a time and drink water only. Thoughts on a non-sweet fuel?

Thanks!!!

POLY 1979, POLY 1990, Treehouse 1993, one-day visit 1996, DL OS 2000, CR 2007, CBR 2009, POLY (Princess 1/2) & 3-night DCL 2010, POP 2010, 7-night NYE Eastern DCL 2010, 2011 AKL/POP and BLT/BC and OKW, 2012 POFQ/Vero Beach and AKV, 2013 POP (Goofy Race and a Half) and Vero Beach/CSR, 2014 AoA (Minnie 10K)

Last edited by 2gr8DisneyKids; 09-23-2012 at 05:55 PM. Reason: 10K info
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #2853
ZellyB
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gr8DisneyKids View Post
So I ran my first 1/2 in a while and was close to my goal, finishing at 2:35. a 22 mph headwind and hills at each of the last 3 miles slowed me down, but I made it. Here is the question: is 2:35 for a 1/2 enough to get me in at 4:45 for the full? Or do I need to find a 10K to get a better time?

I also discovered that the sweet fuels (had tried gel/gu/etc and stopped them) and ended up thinking sport beans would be all good, but I have found the sweet things during the race just make me ill starting around mile 10. And I only eat one or two at a time and drink water only. Thoughts on a non-sweet fuel?

Thanks!!!
I can't answer on the time question, but I take Cliff Bars (peanut butter crunch is my choice) for fuel. I experimented with several things including gu/chomps/stingers etc and found that I really liked the Cliff bars in combination with the sweeter stuff. I cut the bars up into small cubes and put them in a ziploc and eat those. I really like them, but they definitely require water to wash them down.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #2854
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZellyB

I can't answer on the time question, but I take Cliff Bars (peanut butter crunch is my choice) for fuel. I experimented with several things including gu/chomps/stingers etc and found that I really liked the Cliff bars in combination with the sweeter stuff. I cut the bars up into small cubes and put them in a ziploc and eat those. I really like them, but they definitely require water to wash them down.
I was thinking about bringing a Payday with me and cutting it into pieces!

A question for those who have run a full. Do you only depend on the water stops and time your gels, Clif bars, etc for the stops or do you wear a hydration belt so you can wash down your gel when you feel like it?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #2855
katiet524
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gr8DisneyKids
So I ran my first 1/2 in a while and was close to my goal, finishing at 2:35. a 22 mph headwind and hills at each of the last 3 miles slowed me down, but I made it. Here is the question: is 2:35 for a 1/2 enough to get me in at 4:45 for the full? Or do I need to find a 10K to get a better time? (my 10K time today was 1:10:20.7 (broken out on the official results page, but not the certificate) but not sure if that is considered official and would count)
Not sure if it helps but, I submitted a 1/2 time of 2:16. Disney changed my expected finish to 4:40.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #2856
2gr8DisneyKids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZellyB View Post
I will try it! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos View Post
I was thinking about bringing a Payday with me and cutting it into pieces!

A question for those who have run a full. Do you only depend on the water stops and time your gels, Clif bars, etc for the stops or do you wear a hydration belt so you can wash down your gel when you feel like it?

Great idea, but I do not think they are sold up here in Canada Maybe I will have my parents bring up some in a few weeks if I have not found a better solution. If you try it let me know how it goes!

Old 09-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #2857
2gr8DisneyKids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiet524 View Post
Not sure if it helps but, I submitted a 1/2 time of 2:16. Disney changed my expected finish to 4:40.
I am guessing that means no, and will need to find a 10K or another 1/2 before January... Thanks from another Katie!

Old 09-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #2858
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gr8DisneyKids

Great idea, but I do not think they are sold up here in Canada Maybe I will have my parents bring up some in a few weeks if I have not found a better solution. If you try it let me know how it goes!

PM me your address and I'll mail you some!

Old 09-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #2859
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabeking
This may have been addressed already so sorry if I am repeating! What kind/brand of shoes are you all using?
Anyone running in a minimalist shoe? Thoughts?
I wore out my pair of Newton Distances and while I loved them, I decided that I needed a bit more cushion for a Full. I ran several Halfs with the Newtons and they were great. Now I am running in Saucony Kinvara 3s and Brooks PureFlows. I am planning on running the Chicago Marathon in the PureFlows because they have more cushioning but still have only a 4mm heel drop. The Kinvara 3s are also 4mm heel drop shoes (I have run several Halfs with these as well) but they have a bit less cushioning than the PureFlows.

Just my experience. Everyone's feet are so different. You really have to try things out to see what feels the best for you. I know several runners who wear one type of shoe for Fulls and a different type for Halfs just because of the extra distance and time 'under foot'.
Half Fanatic #1852 and Marathon Maniac #6743
My Blog: My Journey to Healthy Living

2014: Los Angeles Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Carmel Marathon | Illinois Mini I-Challenge 5K & 10K | Wisconsin Marathon | Ragnar Relay Chicago 197M | RnR Chicago 5K | RnR Chicago Half Marathon | Crystal Lake Half Marathon
2013: WDW Family 5K | WDW Goofy Challenge | Surf City Marathon | Little Rock Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Cherry Blossom 10M | Flying Pig 3-Way Challenge (5K/10K/Half) | Soldier Field 10M | Chicago RnR Half | Biggest Loser 15K | Howl at the Moon Ultra 50K | Dumbo Double Dare (10K/Half) | Crystal Lake Half | Heritage Haul Half | Fox Valley Half | Marine Corps Marathon | Strides for Hunger 5K | Space Coast Half

Disney Trips: Disneyland 1972-1978, Disney World 2000/2007/2012/2013, Disney Cruises 2003/2005, Disneyland 2008/2013
Old 09-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #2860
tazmario
Earning My Ears

Hoping to get some help

Hello All
I have been reading this board for over a year and finally decided to register. I need some advice. I am all signed up for Goofy. I did it last year and have decided one more year and it will be out of my system.. I started a new job and I am on my feet all day working. I used to work at a desk job. I am having a hard time getting all my mileage in on days I work due to my legs being too tired. I did take my pedometer to work and it recorded I was doing five- 6 miles a day at work. Any one have any experience with training while working a physical job? Or advice on how to get more miles in after work?
Thanks.
Amanda
Old 09-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #2861
tedhowe
Dad to Grace and Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabeking View Post
This may have been addressed already so sorry if I am repeating! What kind/brand of shoes are you all using?
I run in Vibram FiveFingers SeeYas.

They are just about as minimalist as Vibram makes... nearly no cushion at all... almost no structure to the upper. I liken them to socks with rubber soles.

I have not run a full... but have completed my first half marathon a few weeks ago. That was my long run, but I've had now about 7 or 8 runs of at least 10 miles. My feet do get sore on runs that long, but it generally takes only a day or so to feel fully better.

I neer could run until I found out about minimalist shoes and a "barefoot" style of running (fore- to mid-foot strike instead of heel striking). I have heel spurs in both feet and have had several bouts of plantar fasciitis in the past 4 or 5 years.

I took up running in January and am going to cross 600 miles run this year next week... all without any significant injury and no PF.

Ted
5K PR: 29:16 11/22/2012
HM PR: 2:28:15 11/18/12

In Training for my first full marathon: Philadelphia 11/23/2014
Old 09-23-2012, 10:52 PM   #2862
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohs4me View Post
Oh goodness. I finished my 13 miles today and I have a low back muscle that is unhappy. Not sure how I do it but the left Q-L has been tightening way too much this training.

However, my husband said since I was doing 13, I should just go ahead and do the 0.1 more and make it the neighborhood half marathon so I did AND he MADE me a MEDAL. Can you believe it? He's always so supportive with water stops and such but this was just the best.
Your husband rocks! Can you have him talk to mine?
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
Old 09-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #2863
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhowe

I run in Vibram FiveFingers SeeYas.

They are just about as minimalist as Vibram makes... nearly no cushion at all... almost no structure to the upper. I liken them to socks with rubber soles.

I have not run a full... but have completed my first half marathon a few weeks ago. That was my long run, but I've had now about 7 or 8 runs of at least 10 miles. My feet do get sore on runs that long, but it generally takes only a day or so to feel fully better.

I neer could run until I found out about minimalist shoes and a "barefoot" style of running (fore- to mid-foot strike instead of heel striking). I have heel spurs in both feet and have had several bouts of plantar fasciitis in the past 4 or 5 years.

I took up running in January and am going to cross 600 miles run this year next week... all without any significant injury and no PF.

Ted
That is pretty awesome! I have not yet tried the FiveFingers shoes because of the lack of cushion. I have a pair of Altra Running Instincts shoes as well as my Kinvaras and PureFlows. They are a minimalist zero-drop shoe. I enjoy running in them but I have not tried running more than 6-7 miles in them because of the lack of cushioing.

At 245lbs, I know that cushion is something my feet need just because of the stresses that the weight puts on my feet. I am a mid-foot striker and I have found that, for me, I like the 4mm heel drop shoes with some cushioning. 4mm heel to toe variance is considered minimalist, and it does take time for someone who has been running with a more substantial ratio (like 10mm or more) to transition to the lower heel to toe ratios (mostly because of the added work that the calves and arches do when running minimalist/barefoot).

Maybe when I have lost some more weight, I will take my Instincts further and see how they work out.
Half Fanatic #1852 and Marathon Maniac #6743
My Blog: My Journey to Healthy Living

2014: Los Angeles Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Carmel Marathon | Illinois Mini I-Challenge 5K & 10K | Wisconsin Marathon | Ragnar Relay Chicago 197M | RnR Chicago 5K | RnR Chicago Half Marathon | Crystal Lake Half Marathon
2013: WDW Family 5K | WDW Goofy Challenge | Surf City Marathon | Little Rock Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Cherry Blossom 10M | Flying Pig 3-Way Challenge (5K/10K/Half) | Soldier Field 10M | Chicago RnR Half | Biggest Loser 15K | Howl at the Moon Ultra 50K | Dumbo Double Dare (10K/Half) | Crystal Lake Half | Heritage Haul Half | Fox Valley Half | Marine Corps Marathon | Strides for Hunger 5K | Space Coast Half

Disney Trips: Disneyland 1972-1978, Disney World 2000/2007/2012/2013, Disney Cruises 2003/2005, Disneyland 2008/2013
Old 09-24-2012, 12:22 AM   #2864
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabeking View Post
I alternate between my New Balance Minimus and my Asics Kayanos. Love them both.

John
Old 09-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #2865
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos View Post
I rarely carry fluids with me. I either have a gel when I want it and get water at the next stop, or I take it at a water stop. My timing isn't so precise that a few minutes early or late in order to get it in at a water stop makes any difference.

John
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: