Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
laurba99
Earning My Ears

Its do or die time! Anyone have last min tips to share..things you learned

We are taking our five yr old and mid-trip my parents 70's and early 80 joining us ( active healthy often traveling)
laurba99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

Don't feel like you have to stick together, non-stop. With such a broad age range, you'll have to satisfy many different interests.

Also, really pay attention and don't run all over the place - go at your own pace and enjoy your vacation!

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
Alexsandra
Proud mom of two redheads

I went last Sept. with my DS 4 1/2 year old, my DS 18 month old, and both my parents-in law who are in their late 60's. I recommend taking it slow and not trying to see everything. Enjoying meal times at TS restaurants will give you a break from the hustle and bustle of the parks. Make a list of the attraction your family wants to see most and make those your priority in the morning. Then fill in with other attractions. Rent a wheelchair at guest services in each park for older party if they get tired (my mother-in-law did this when she got tired and her legs hurts). Worth every penny.

You can check out my blog: http://disneyplaning101.blogspot.ca/ if you want tips and suggestions

Have a magical time!
Alexsandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
heather13
DIS Veteran

My mom and I took advantage of the time that the kids were back in the hotel napping to shop. Then we didn't waste valuable park time in the stores with kids. Got a lot of "Santa" shopping done that way.

Set expectations ahead of time with parents. Let them know how fast you're planning to see things, try not to back track, and let them know it's okay to just stay put for an hour or two if you feel the need to rush around with DC. Sometimes my mom couldn't keep up (even being pushed in a wheelchair) and was fine being left somewhere for a while, as we could maneuver better without her.

Use photopass or the photographers to use your camera. Getting as many pictures as possible with everyone in them is priceless in my family.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:56 PM   #5
NEVERENOUGHWDW
Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Dance like nobody is watching!
If there was an Olympic event I'm sure I would leave with the "gold" poop medal

Location: Doesn't matter, my mind & body are usually in 2 different places...

Best advice is to take your time and notice all the details, your little one will and that will be half the fun.
Not sure how long your going for but a few meals apart can be a good thing. How about some time for the girls to do something together and the boys do something together.

I know going with my nieces & nephews a park break works wonders. Maybe a night at the movies or playing mini-golf.

Have a great time!

What people think of you is none of your business.
NEVERENOUGHWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #6
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

No words of wisdom just a story. The last time we took my grandparents to a park my Memere was in her early eighties and my Pepere was over 90. We went to Epcot and they road Soarin twice, Test Track, Mission Space (easy), Norway Ride, Figment Ride, Finding Nemo Ride, The Land, well just about everything. As we were walking back to the car my Memere said something to the effect of "We didn't get to ride any rides". She doesn't have memory problems. She meant she was disappointed she didn't get to ride any 'roller coasters'. We chose Epcot to be easy on them, turns out she really wanted to ride Space Mountain. Haha! I hope I'm like them when I'm over 80.

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
I survived a trip with MIL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040750
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
First trip with Magic Bands http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170056
Post Holiday Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201404
Non-Fancy Fanatics at VGF http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3268362
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV) || May '14 (VGF and Expedition Everest Challenge)
DisneyRegulars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
momto2girlsLA
Earning My Ears

We fly out 3 weeks from today for 2 nights in Cocoa Beach, 4 nights on the Dream and then 3 nights at the Poly. Our party includes my DH and I, my parents who are both in their early 70's and pretty healthy and they travel all the time and my 2 girls - 4 1/2 and 6. My 6 year old has ADHD. Our plan while at WDW is to only do the Magic Kingdom. We plan to just take our time and see what we see and just let them feel the magic of the park. DH and I are already planning to take the girls back in a few years when they are older and will be able to do more and get more out of the parks. We have planned early dinners - one night at the Spirit of Aloha at the Poly and one night at Cinderella's Royal Table (and we are doing BBB with the girls that morning). Nothing else is planned so we can just go with the flow. We have an idea of our must see and do things but honestly, we are keeping things pretty open. We know we want to see the fireworks and parade on our last day there but have nothing planned for that day. My parents know that they don't need to keep up with us and that we can plan to separate and pick a time and place to meet back up. We rented a double stroller for the girls (and our stuff). We bought princess dresses and matching dolls at the Disney store a few weeks ago to save some money plus I bought each 2 new Disney shirts that they will get when we are there. I am sure we will buy some stuff when there but planning to not buy a ton (I know that might go out the door when we get there!!!).

Planning a possible 4th of July trip to WDW - July 2015
momto2girlsLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
Southern Bell
DIS Veteran

I would make a list of things I was sure I wanted to do with my daughter before they arrived. I would start on the list and do alot of the rides for a 5 yr old in Magic Kingdom that you don't think your parents would probably ride on and are just left standing and watching. Especially the ones she may want to do more than once. I'm sure they will enjoy watching her (I do my grandson) but that is so tiring sometimes, more than the walking. (I'm 56). I would meet some of the outdoor characters and do pictures. The ones you can get a time for and are indoors would be the best for your parents if they are interested in seeing her with the Princess or Mickey and Minnie and getting pictures of her. I wouldn't set through any shows (especially slow or boring ones like Hall of the Presidents)early in the day with a 5 yr old with my parents but wait to the afternoon when all of you are tired. I would have a little bit of a plan everday where I was going and where we could eat even if it was just for a quick bite. Its not fun standing in the theme park trying to decide what all of you want to do! I have been there! LOL! My daughter is good at planning and my husband is good at leading us to it! You need a planner and a leader to the destination!The rest just follow! LOL! Don't hop across the park or between theme Parks to much. If I make reservations to eat I have found usually one is enough for us for the day and I make it in the theme park I planned to be in for that day for the most part. That is also easier! We did make two for Animal Kingdom and that went well. We did Donald Duck breakfast at Tusker house, did Animal Kingdom, then had a reservation for Rainforest when we came out for dinner. Two times to eat that day was enough for us. We just had a snck of icecream or something to drink in between. The Ritz crakers with peanut butter and cheese are easy to carry if someone needs a quick snack. Don't forget to get a family picture and one of you with your parents. Those times go fast! Hope you have a great time!
Southern Bell is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: