Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
disneynov
Earning My Ears

the Poly - how spead out is it??

Our family has planned a trip, and a relative with severe arthritis wants to visit us at the resort for a few hours. Im trying to determine how much walking would be involved. How far is the main pool from the main entrance? How far is Kona Cafe? Im assuming she couldnt make it to our room, because most longhouses seem like quite a walk.
If she has to walk for more than 5 minutes at a time, its very difficult. And she is a very slow walker. The resort seems very spread out, so just wanted to check if it would be feasible for her.

Thanks.
disneynov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
wishing4PA
Wants to be in Pennsylvania or WDW or PA or WDW or ... and stuck smack dab in the middle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynov View Post
Our family has planned a trip, and a relative with severe arthritis wants to visit us at the resort for a few hours. Im trying to determine how much walking would be involved. How far is the main pool from the main entrance? How far is Kona Cafe? Im assuming she couldnt make it to our room, because most longhouses seem like quite a walk.
If she has to walk for more than 5 minutes at a time, its very difficult. And she is a very slow walker. The resort seems very spread out, so just wanted to check if it would be feasible for her.

Thanks.
I wish I could tell you actual distances, but I would think that if she is dropped off at the front of the main building, she can make it to the elevator in 5 minutes, and then to Kona. The pool is pretty much directly behind the building. Not real far, but she might need to take a break on the way -- I'd send someone ahead just to make sure you were not taking any detours, and bringing her on the most direct route.
Waiting for the people with better answers than me ...
* 7/2013 (YC with DD), 1/2012 (Poly - me, DD, DN, DN, DSis, thanks! ), 7/2010 (FW - the Poly5+Mom), 2/2009 (DD4 & DH's 1st visit! ASMo), Day trip ~1990, Overnight "Jazz Night" with HS band (1978?), ~10 Day trips in 1970's-80's (E tickets!)
* Disney World Preview Center (1970?) An amusement park here, in the middle of nowhere, far from the beaches, nowhere near anything, even dinky little Orlando? That'll never fly!
wishing4PA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

think you can still get free wheelchairs from bell service or the front desk.

then you can show her everything.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
mlamanna1701
Mouseketeer

The pool is a bit away from the main entrance. Not too far for someone without walking problems. I believe it took about 5 minutes from the main building to get to at a normal pace. The Kona cafe is on the second floor of the main building. There isn't too much walking to get to it. If coming by bus, you can take elevator to the second floor. If by monorail, it is not too far from the entrance. But I wish I could remember which side of the main building it is on. Hope this helps.
mlamanna1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
hgeisler
DIS Veteran

It's not too far between things, but it might be enough that a rest might be needed in between.
hgeisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
GeorgeG
Stumped for 2005
You can keep the pickles
I fully intend to be a ghost when it's my turn

You can request a room close the main building.

I would suggest renting a scooter from one of the area supply companies (about $20 a day compared to $50 in the parks). That way you'll have it for everything. The park rentals aren't within a 5-minute walk from any transportation. For that matter, you can't walk anyplace in WDW in 5 minutes.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeG View Post
I would suggest renting a scooter from one of the area supply companies (about $20 a day compared to $50 in the parks). That way you'll have it for everything.
I agree with this!

My father had a stroke a few years back and he can walk but not long distances and standing for long periods is difficult for him. If he goes to WDW with us he always rents a scooter from one of the local companies. They drop it off at your hotel and then you leave it at the hotel when you check out. They will take care of picking it up. It's really nice.

And one of the reasons I love WDW is that the CM's are extremely helpful and will take time to help him on the monorail or buses. I could tell you story after story of CMs helping him. You'd think they'd be inpatient with all of the people they have to deal with everyday and then dealing with one person slowing them down but they aren't!

The downside is the scooter takes up space in your room but my dad couldn't make it without the scooter! He gets a little nervous sometimes trying to navigate the scooter on ramps on and off the buses but again the CMs are helpful.

You can also go to guest relations inside the parks and ask for a disability pass (not sure that's it's official name) but I'm not sure how easy/hard they are to get at times.
loveshak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #8
B-Ride
Getting My Disney Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlamanna1701 View Post
The pool is a bit away from the main entrance. Not too far for someone without walking problems. I believe it took about 5 minutes from the main building to get to at a normal pace. The Kona cafe is on the second floor of the main building. There isn't too much walking to get to it. If coming by bus, you can take elevator to the second floor. If by monorail, it is not too far from the entrance. But I wish I could remember which side of the main building it is on. Hope this helps.
Coming from the monorail you have about a 50 foot walk to Kona Cafe at the most and they're both on the same floor. To get to the main pool it isn't more than another 100 feet although you need to go down one level.

The Niue and Rarotonga long houses are very close to the main building.
Disneyland Grand Californian 2014
B-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: