Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #16
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUMPY PIRATE View Post
yeah, because those Mayans were really good at predicting stuff, I mean look at their current civilization!

Oh...

wait.....

nevermind!!

BTW, I think the SNL explanation was probably right, they just ran out of space!
very true

2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days
wdw4rfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #17
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran

Just think, if nothing happens.....you won't have to grocery shop for a while.

2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days
wdw4rfam is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #18
suejai
DIS Veteran

No, certainly not for any doomsday predictions. However, I don't think it's a bad idea to be prepared to support yourself and your family for 72 hours in the case of a natural disaster or some other similar situation. Have extra stocks of food and water and a way to heat your house in case of a power loss etc, so you are not a burden on the system; as long as you don't have to evacuate of course.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #19
DVCBELLE
Princess at Heart

It is my understanding that when we switched to the Gregorian calendar we added ineap days that were not accounted for in the Mahanadi end of world prophecy. Without leap days we would be well into 2013 now...so the Mayans Dec 21 has already come and gone.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #20
focusondisney

I'll need some Boo Boo fun
Oh come on! You didn't even give anyone a chance to follow the rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFan32WI View Post
There's not much of any backstory to this, but my husband has been buying and storing water, canned goods, batteries, matches and other necessities down in our basement for the past 6 months. I asked if this was for the Zombie Apocolypse or something (always said jokingly). He admitted that while he doesn't necessarily believe the world will end on December 21st, or that zombies will take over, he does believe that something awful may happen (think back to Y2K panic). He wants us to all be prepared if some awful catstrophe happens. I personally think this is crazy. I'm wondering if anyone else is doing this (or will even admit to doing this).
He is very intelligent so this kind of thinking seems very irrational to me.

We have enough canned ravioli to open a food pantry at this point. Please someone tell me that we aren't the only family preparing for the end of the world. (I shouldn't even use the word "family" since he is the only one doing this).
Uh, were you guys on Dr. Phil earlier this week? Sounds just like the couple he had on. Does your husband have toilet paper & paper towels, too? But that guy had lots of dried pasta. Don't know what he planned to do with that with no power & limited water.

I'm not preparing, but we're going to DL earlier in the month, gotta get 1 last Disney fix in! And I'll be off from work, so I can keep an eye on CNN, just in case!
Old 09-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #21
Kellydelly
DIS Veteran

I'm kicking the idea around of stockpiling a few more canned goods than usual. I don't think the world is going to end in December, but I could see a few moronic terrorists going to town with that date. I wouldn't have started stockpiling 6 months ago, that seems like a waste. I plan to have my husband make sure the gas cans for the grill are full (that is probably the only thing I could convince him to do to prepare for the end ). So not going nuts, but it is on my mind . I did watch a bad movie a few days ago called Take Shelter that made we wish we had a storm shelter like the one in the movie .
Kellydelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #22
Kitty 34
Hums in her sleep, but never when she's awake
I only raise tomatos for those cute caterpillars... but I won't go near a tomato
Never underestimate the TF!!!

End of World party at GP's!!
Old 09-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #23
I loveStitchnippyjon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post
If the world ends, what good is all that stuff????
That was my question.....
I loveStitchnippyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #24
happygirl
DIS Veteran

I still have my stockpile from Y2K I'm working on LOL
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #25
rszdtrvl
DIS Veteran

We have a generator, but it is in the same box it has been in for the past 3 years, unopened.

We bought it after we had a huge storm with hurricane force winds and a 100 hour power outage. Reminds me - gotta fill the 5-gallon gas container this week, LOL.

No doomsday prepping in this house. I know where the weather radio and the flashlights are. We have plenty of canned goodies in case we need them.

We are in tsunami country, so we are always a *bit* prepared for emergencies.
rszdtrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #26
GRUMPY PIRATE
First rule, always!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty 34 View Post
End of World party at GP's!!

All RIGHT!!!!!
GRUMPY PIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #27
anniemae
Either she is eating a delicious meal, or she keeled over in starvation

I am a more "wait and see" type of girl. Although I love all things zombie and if we EVER have a zombie apocalypse I will TOTALLY survive!

we were in Walmart yesterday (yeah I know) and they had big bins of food. It was like freeze dried single serve pouches. Maybe I should pick up some.

Seriously though, as long as he isn't hurting anyone, let him stockpile if it makes him feel better. Maybe you should secretly record doomsday preppers and watch it with him on 12-22 while you plow through the water and canned ravioli, or you could invite everyone over for Christmas dinner and tell them you were sick of turkey and wine so you will be having raviolis and water!
anniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:39 PM   #28
GRUMPY PIRATE
First rule, always!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemae View Post
I am a more "wait and see" type of girl. Although I love all things zombie and if we EVER have a zombie apocalypse I will TOTALLY survive!

we were in Walmart yesterday (yeah I know) and they had big bins of food. It was like freeze dried single serve pouches. Maybe I should pick up some.

Seriously though, as long as he isn't hurting anyone, let him stockpile if it makes him feel better. Maybe you should secretly record doomsday preppers and watch it with him on 12-22 while you plow through the water and canned ravioli, or you could invite everyone over for Christmas dinner and tell them you were sick of turkey and wine so you will be having raviolis and water!
Living in California, we have an "earthquake" kit that has food and water, emergency meds, etc. set aside.

since we have gone camping, we do have a number of stockpiled freeze dried food, that we rotate.

but that is for real emergencies!

my guess is that some mayan preists decided to play a practical joke on the world!
GRUMPY PIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #29
Acklander
DIS Veteran

The only planning I'm going to do is request the day off from work. I figure if the world was ending, it would suck to spend it at work.
Also, I'm planning on taking my vacation the month before. World ending will really force the use it or use it issue.
Maybe I should put the whole vacation on the credit card - then I wouldn't have to worry about the bill.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #30
stargazer2892
Mouseketeer

If I remember correctly archeologists have recently found new Mayan calenders going WAY PAST 2012. As my DH's best friend's wife (who according to oral family history has Mayan ancestors) laughing said " you gringos always find something to freak out about" so that's good enough for me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: