Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #31
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna71985 View Post
Following along! I'm sailing on the Fantasy Oct 20, and I'm really looking forward to it
Aww!! You will have a wonderful time! I hope you do a trip report! I've always wanted to see the decorations for Halloween!! Have a great time and enjoy the ship!!

lmhall2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #32
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhall2000 View Post
Aww!! You will have a wonderful time! I hope you do a trip report! I've always wanted to see the decorations for Halloween!! Have a great time and enjoy the ship!!
Thank you! I am really looking forward to this cruise.

I hope to do a TR (which would be an adventure, as I've never done one before).
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #33
lmhall2000

Willie Nelson: “Momma, Don’t Let your babies grow up to be cowboys”

This day is going to be a GREAT day!! The one port where I’ve budgeted $250to get us to St. John and back. It will be exciting! Thrilling! But, wait, Grumpy is backing out??? WHAT??

Grumpy: “I’d rather stay on the ship, you know I tried the snorkel gear and my gag reflex goes wild”

Yes, I did realize that but hoped the sheer beauty of the island would entice him…sadly, St. Maarten put a bad taste in his mouth and he’d rather spend his day riding the AquaDuck and relaxing..I won’t fight as much on this one, poor thing does have an awful gag reflex and he did endure all my haggling in St. Maarten…so, I’ll let him back out. So, it’s FOUR of us going!! But, wait…dear son is not acting like he wants to go…he has never tried the snorkel gear but he’s not a beachy kind of kid…I go to the shop on deck three and find a cool rash guard that might entice him. He seems willing until…

6:30am RISE AND SHINE!! The girls pop out of bed, I’ve been up since 6:00am to catch the first sunrise I could of the cruise

…everyone is moving and grooving…but dear son. He looks exhausted! Another just ‘til midnight day…I give him a little nudge and ask if he wants to go to St. John. You can imagine nothing seems more luxurious than a bed when you’ve had less than 6 hours of sleep each night. So, being the understanding mom, I let the boys sleep in. Honestly, the budget momma is a bit happy, that means we only need $150 to go to St. John and I can return that $40 rash guard…got better ones online for the girls and me for less than $12!!!

We have to meet our team at deck one at 7:15….we are the first there, just way eager to get this day started! We are also hoping we can catch the 8:00am ferry to St. John, or we’ll have to wait at the ferry for another hour. Our fearless tour leader (a fellow Disboarder who is very accomplished with snorkeling) has arranged our van…we had 26 planning on going with us this morning..I think several others have been bit by the ‘let’s sleep in’ bug or were a bit disappointed from St. Maarten to give St. John a try, but we end up with 12 eager to make the drive! One savvy mom managed to remember towels and got a load for us all…the others are ready with all their extra fins/snorkels/masks so we all should be SET!

We get to our cabbie and he is a VERY nice fella! Not like the welcoming we had in St. Maarten. He drives us to the Ferry and our fearless leader goes to buy all our tickets to save time and we make it on the 8am ferry!!! YAHOO!!!! Then after a short 25 minute ferry to St. John we meet our cabbie there and again, such a smiling happy joyful man!! I’m loving this day already!!
The views are AHMAZING!!

Just right out of a postcard..the homes are gorgeous, well-maintained…this island just exudes charm and relaxation. This is what I expected the Caribbean to be about! We’re almost at Trunk Bay, just don’t look down the side of the road…no railings and dropoffs to make your tummy tighten. Trunk Bay is beautiful! I think we were supposed to pay a fee to enter, but we were there so early that no one was there to take money so we saved a bit there. There were two other people on the beach when we got there…wow!! We race to put our gear on….never had tried fins before but realized they were a must..I’m a good swimmer and was making no progress just kicking against the waves….so looked like a fool trying to walk with those things on and finally just plopped myself in the water. Daughters did just as well..one got very frustrated and took them off and swore she would not wear them, but a fellow Dis’er encouraged her to try again (if mom did that I would have received a not so welcome reply) but she did try it again and the pride of a momma seeing her ‘reluctant’ finner out there enjoying the snorkeling was a huge boost to the day!

I think I stayed in the water over 2 hours..it was just the perfect temperature, saw live coral, amazing fish, clearest water and beautiful skies…HEAVEN!! I could have stayed there for a week! Love love love!

We know traffic in St. Thomas can get bad so we headed back around 12:30. Again, cabbies were wonderful,

Our great driver!!
Ferry was nice and such amazing company…we had only known each other from our Facebook group but we all felt like we had known each other for years..such wonderful families.
This is how we all felt after spending a day in St. John!!!

I am excited to get back to the ship and share my love for the island with dh and son and see how their day went. Dh was just changing out of his Aquaduck clothes and said there were no lines, glad he got some fun ‘me’ time! Son had been with the Vibers the whole time and was happy as a clam. All are happy and that makes a momma happy, too!

We have a great time at dinner and then we have an even greater time with Trevor again…he is emceeing the 80’s song trivia in the Tube. We pair up with our newfound Dis friends..a couple also teenagers during the 80’s and we KNOW we have this challenge. We had tried the movie challenge two days before and while we had a respectable score….did not make the last man standing. I am not that good with song artists, but good with titles….they play a snippet of the song and you have to name the artist/title…HINT: Many of the titles I have used are in the challenge!! My husband and my friend and her husband are song gurus as well…this will be fun!! The first 20 songs are pretty easy, then they throw in “Five Hundred Miles” and none of us can think of the artist!! I walk to it everyday on my treadmill…I told my Grumpy to just take the time to review his playlist in his head and see if it comes to him, 10 songs later and he shouts, “The Proclaimers!” YES!!! We are running on a perfect score!! Then they play “The Lion Sleeps Tonight”..but it’s the REMAKE from the 80’s have NO clue..my brain comes up with Bobby McFerrin..and we just agree to go with it. Turns out it’s “Tight Fit”….huh?? Have any of you 80s people ever heard of Tight Fit??? There, go take the challenge and you’ll get that one! We end up winning the challenge with 49 out of 50 correct answers…yep, we win the valued ‘ear phones’ that Disney gives out for these sorts of things.

Then Trevor says we’re having too much fun with these 80s songs that he is going to change the schedule and have them play for the next hour instead of the scheduled songs. Do you think either of our men are getting up there and grooving to Duran Duran? NO! On our next cruise, that is going to be my must do…I will dance alone if I have to….what is it with men and dancing?? But, we are all kind of tired, I’ve been up a LONG day and ready to crash!
We get back to the room and it’s about 11:30. We assume all the kids are still out..but after a quick double look we realize the girls are tucked into their beds and SOUND asleep.. a day of snorkeling will do that to you. Our first born is still not in, but, hey, it’s only 11:30 he’s still got his 30 minutes left. I put on a tshirt to sleep in and turn on Men In Black-3…I figure if it doesn’t put me to sleep my weariness will. Grumpy wants to make sure he waits up for son. About 12:15am..I’m kind of half sleeping and have missed most the movie when Grumpy asks me if he should go find him.
Mom: “Nah, give him 10 more minutes..since he didn’t take his Wave Phone we can’t contact him, I think the Vibe closes at 12:00 so he should be here soon.”

12:30..still no son. Grumpy is concerned. I tell him to go ahead and start walking the ship. I am WIPED out! I soo need to sleep! Grumpy comes back at 1:30am…ONE THIRTY PEOPLE!!! He is REALLY worried. He said the Vibe workers said they last saw our son at 11:30pm. He had them double/triple check all the areas. He went to the drink station, down to the movie theater, up to the basketball court. Grumpy was now “VERY VERY WORRIED.” I know when he gets to this stage that I need to calm him down and put on the “I’m sure he’s just in an area you missed, you come in and rest, I’ll find him..just text me on the Wave Phone if he comes in.” I think my calm mommy voice was enough to encourage Grumpy. But as I put on my pants and sandals to start my trek of the ship, my inner voice was crumbling in fear.

We’ve all read those reports of cruise passengers disappearing, reported sightings of going overboard, kidnappings…all those things start going through your mind at 1:30 am when you’ve had no rest and a very long day. I start methodically, I go to the drink station and all the upper deck areas. There is a crew party going long and loud on the 14th floor…I ask some CMs cleaning the decks if there is ANY way my son might have been asked to go to that..he is 6’3 and could easily pass for 25. They assure me that you can only access it with a employee card…somehow I’m wary of that security but accept that maybe he’s not there..surely he would not accept a lure into that! I see two teens playing ping pong at 1:30?? I ask them if they’ve seen my son, the say they’re in the Edge and don’t know the Vibe kids but tell me to check the movie theater..I go to check the movie theater, the ship is DEAD…NO ONE on these decks besides cleaning crews. My breathing is growing more and more hurried…my step quickens, my imagination is trying to be shackled by my sensibilities.

No ONE is in the movie theater…honestly, folks, it’s almost 2am…no text from Grumpy. I know if I text Grumpy he will just get more concerned…so I keep walking…a cleaning crew asks if he can help b/c he sees the panic on my face no doubt. I’m not thinking clearly at this point. He says for me to go to Guest Services that someone is always there…I had already walked by it earlier and saw no one so assumed no one was there. I go directly to guest services and see a bell. I ring it. Thankfully, a soul comes out with a fresh face and “How may I help you”…guess they do have round the clock service! I try to remain calm…I tell him my husband and I have been looking for our son for almost 2 hours, the Vibe has not seen him since 11:30pm. I am very worried, we have covered most the ship. He says he will put a post out to security to keep alert. I go further, I tell hiim the name of the girl who approached him that first day and who can usually be found with his Viber gang and could he PLEASE contact this girl’s room and see when was the last time she saw my son. All I had to go on was her first name, hoping that she was the only one with that name on the Vibe list. He checks while I’m there and while he can not give me her room number he would call them to see…he took my wave phone number and said they would contact me as soon as they heard anything.

I decide to head up to the nightclub areas/arcade areas. I really want to cry right now. I mean really really want to cry, Mt. Conjunctiva or Hurricane Lacrimal. As I’m walking up the steps I hear ‘young’ voices!! My heart leaps and I take the steps two at a time because it sounds like it’s a group and they’re about to board the elevators….I get to the top out of breath and there are 4 people with the 18-21 club..one I knew from standing in line at the supervisor’s desk at check in…and had also seen her at St. John with her mom….even though it was not my son, it was like finding something. They kind of laugh seeing me in my pjs and out of breath and say “Is everything all right.”

Hit the ‘explode’ button on the mock up of the volcano…I could not stop the flow of tears, I could not even get words out of my mouth!! I explain that my son is missing. Just uttering those words brings even more sobs. I physically almost broke down! They were AWESOME!! They hugged me and ask me questions…all had no as an answer..he’s not in the theater, he’s not in vibe, he’s not on top deck, guest services has not contacted me back…they suggest they will take me to the Arcade…more hope, I regain my composure and try to restore my sanity. They are AWESOME!! So encouraging! They tell me they were all once teens and teens will do this. My problem is I was the goody goody child, would never do this and cannot imagine my son would do this...all I can think is that my son is hurting somewhere and his momma cannot find him. WAAAAH!!! This is why I can NOT watch Lassie, Benji or any animal movie, the separation factor cuts deep.
One of the four was an older lady hanging out with the younger ones and was a bit tipsy…in her tipsy drawl, she say, “Honey, he’s probably making out with some girl…they all do it.” I have to admit it, the way she said it and her expression almost cracked me up…at least I could still laugh on the inside. We make it to the arcade and it’s empty….they tell me to go back to guest services, it has been 40 minutes since I checked in there…after 2:30am now.

I thank them for their support! I make it to Guest services and the same gentleman comes when I ring. He says they have had no sightings. I am starting to get angry…sightings?? Did they contact the girl I asked them to?? He said “NO” that he could not call a guestroom only security could. I then really get angry. “My son is missing, I came to you 40 minutes ago and you’re telling me the one person who I told you would most likely know where my son was seen last has not been contacted?? I want your supervisor’s name, I want the time you contacted security…” I was now a mom on a mission. If they weren’t taking this seriously, I sure will. I hear him go in the back room and ask security to contact that girls’ room immediately. Why would they wait 40 minutes??

Within one minute he returned and said that my son and 8 others from Vibe were in this girls room, her father answered and said that he would send them all to their rooms. HALLELUJAH!! My momma’s heart leaped with delight, I lost my hostility towards this guest services man and told him I was heading immediately to our room to ‘receive’ my son. I knew that these ‘8’ had to be coming down stairs or elevator most likely so I hung out at the entrance to the area closest to our stateroom.

You can imagine the HEAT building up in me. The fear of his safety has fled and now the wrath of a momma whose son has caused this much worry and fret is about to explode. I hear about 5 voices hopping down the steps and laughing…they stopped laughing the second they saw my face and my folded arms.
Mom: (aka drill sargent) “Son, can you tell me what time it is?”
Son: “I’m sorry, mom”
Mom: to the other youths “Can you tell me if you children have a curfew? Because my son sure does and it was 2.5 hours ago.”
Other youths (very sheepish now): They look at their watch and say “2:30”
Mom: Honestly I think I uttered a swear word, most likely the sort that holds back floodgates. “Son, you will get your tail in line and you will not leave my side for the next 48 hours.”
Those are words that I know I cannot hold to, but it just felt good to have some semblance of control.

I thought I had said my peace and he could go to sleep, Grumpy was elated to see both his wife and son back, but could tell by the smoke coming out of my eyes that there was indeed a story. I start to tell him the story and I get so boiled up that I yell for dear son to get in my room (connecting rooms)..he was very polite and took all that I dished out…and it just kept coming out…along the lines of “What were you thinking??” in about 4 different languages. I just hope the poor neighbors next to us did not have to be awakened by my interval rants. I know one thing for sure, I needed to sleep on this one!!

I’m already realizing there is no way I want him chained to me for 48 hours…nothing worse than a vacation buzz kill than a moping teen…have to come up with a suitable punishment tomorrow but..
Oh, and my final words to my dear son (now come on parents you know we’ve got it in us…when we’re this stressed our love and gentle nature eludes us)…”Oh, thanks a lot son…Happy Birthday to ME!”
Yes folks, it is now almost 3:00am and it’s September the 13th…my 45th birthday….I can see the funny in it now, but living through these melodramadies is worse than Frog and Toad’s Wild Ride.

Gee, I need to sleep just reliving it!!

Last edited by lmhall2000; 09-22-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #34
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Tara, I'm loving your trip report, and I can SO relate to your worry about your son! I'll look forward to what lies ahead!
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #35
perfectmatch300
United We Stand
Will ride anything with "roller coaster" in the name!

Wow, Tara, after such an awesome day on St John & such beautiful pictures! I'm so sorry you had to go through that ordeal with your son. Whatever was he thinking?! Not having kids of my own, I can't imagine what that must have felt like. It's going to be really interesting to hear how the rest of your cruise unfolds!

Realized I'd missed your St Martin report. Sorry the island was not as nice as you hoped. I really do want to get to Maho Beach to see the planes some day.

Last edited by perfectmatch300; 09-22-2012 at 09:08 PM.
perfectmatch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #36
DMMarla07860
DIS Veteran

well since I don't have kids I don't understand how you felt about your son being missing for that time, but I can kind of understand why my dad use to stalk(know where I was at night). He doesn't anymore since I am 24. I can understand your son wanting to be out with friends though, I've had plenty of late nights, till 4:00am once
July 14th-18th, 2002- 3 Night Resort and 4 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, April 23rd-30th, 2005- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, August 19th-26th, 2006- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Double Dip Cruise, September 6th-9th, 2007- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, July 13th- 20th, 2008- Mexican Riviera Disney Magic Cruise, February 21st-28th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 28th-March 7th, 2009- 7 Night Disney Magic Eastern Cruise, August 27th-30th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, December 10th-13th, 2009- 3 Night Disney Wonder Cruise, March 6th-13th, 2010- 7 Night Disney Magic Western Cruise, February 17th-20th, 2011- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, February 20th-24th, 2011- 4 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 27th-May 3rd, 2011- 6 Night LA to Vancouver Disney Wonder Cruise
February 16th-19th, 2012- 3 Night Disney Dream Cruise, April 21st-28th, 2012- 7 Night Disney Fantasy Eastern Cruise(first one),
June 15th-17th, 2012- 2 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC), August 17th- 25th, 2012- 8 Night Disney Magic Cruise(NYC)March 16th-23rd, 2013-7 Night Disney Fantasy Western March 23rd-30th, 2013-Disney Fantasy EasternUpcoming Cruises: November 20th-24th, 2013- Disney Magic
DMMarla07860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #37
ImprovGal
No animals were harmed in the making of the dinner

Quote:
We have a great time at dinner and then we have an even greater time with Trevor again…he is emceeing the 80’s song trivia in the Tube. We pair up with our newfound Dis friends..a couple also teenagers during the 80’s and we KNOW we have this challenge. We had tried the movie challenge two days before and while we had a respectable score….did not make the last man standing. I am not that good with song artists, but good with titles….they play a snippet of the song and you have to name the artist/title…HINT: Many of the titles I have used are in the challenge!! My husband and my friend and her husband are song gurus as well…this will be fun!! The first 20 songs are pretty easy, then they throw in “Five Hundred Miles” and none of us can think of the artist!! I walk to it everyday on my treadmill…I told my Grumpy to just take the time to review his playlist in his head and see if it comes to him, 10 songs later and he shouts, “The Proclaimers!” YES!!! We are running on a perfect score!! Then they play “The Lion Sleeps Tonight”..but it’s the REMAKE from the 80’s have NO clue..my brain comes up with Bobby McFerrin..and we just agree to go with it. Turns out it’s “Tight Fit”….huh?? Have any of you 80s people ever heard of Tight Fit??? There, go take the challenge and you’ll get that one! We end up winning the challenge with 49 out of 50 correct answers…yep, we win the valued ‘ear phones’ that Disney gives out for these sorts of things.
I just wanted to say congrats on that win.
We had 48 out of 50 (missed Proclaimers and Tight Fit -- never would have come up with that group; I was thinking of the version by the Nylons but couldn't remember their name).
That cruise was the first time I've seen the ear buds as prizes, so I'm glad we did end up winning some finally.

I can only imagine how much anxiety your son gave you that night. I don't have kids, but I remember worrying my parents at least a couple of times when I was home from college.

I think that was also the night of the Pop! game show? If I'm remembering correctly, by leaving early you missed quite a show in the Tube that night.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #38
jjgarv
Gotta get away to where the boat leaves from...

Just finished reading your latest report...and proceeded to chew out my 9-yr-old daughter, just to be proactive! (Naturally, she is still too young for a curfew, but I figure it doesn't hurt to begin discussing this issue as soon as possible, including the consequences when/if she pulls this stunt.) Glad that everything was ok in the end!
Honeymoon 4/00 4 Day Magic and Wilderness Lodge; 3/02 7 Day Eastern Magic; 11/02 Beach Club Villas; 11/04 7 day Western Magic; 10/05 4 Day Wonder and 3 Day at Saratoga Springs; 9/06 7 Day Twice the Magic--2x Castaway Cay; 11/07 7 Day Eastern Magic; 9/08 7 Western Double Dip--2x Castaway Cay; 5/09 Villas at AKL; 10/09 7 Day Eastern Magic to St Croix; 4/10 7 Day Caribbean Princess for 10th Anniversary; 10/10 7 Day Western Magic; 10/11 7 Days B2B on the Dream; 10/12 7 Day Eastern Fantasy; 3/12 DVC Villas at Aulani; 10/13 7 Day Western Fantasy; 10/14 7 Day Western Fantasy to Jamaica
jjgarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #39
greedyhenry
Earning My Ears

oh gosh

I am really enjoying your report! we leave in 12 days with our 16 year old DD and 11 year old DS. Your report is giving me lots to ponder and will help us be proactive. Can't wait to read more. I would have a really hard time coming up with a suitable consequence too - one that wouldn't end up being a punishment for the parents as well! Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Disney Magic 2009, Disney Dream 2012
greedyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #40
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Were the teenagers in the Royal Suite? I say this as I know they had a teenage girl in the Walt Disney Suite & we were right next to it. They always seemed to be having people over there.
Dis_Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #41
Joanna71985

Wow, that's scary about your son! I'm glad it all worked out in the end
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Old 09-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #42
lmhall2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
Tara, I'm loving your trip report, and I can SO relate to your worry about your son! I'll look forward to what lies ahead!
Isn't it awful?? Parenting has its highs and lows for sure!! Ds is an awesome kid...we homeschool so he's always under our radar and honestly felt that at 17 he needed some independence and trying to spread his wings...he got caught up in the 'gang' mentality of one kid suggesting something and all the others saying "That sounds GREAT" and no one wants to be the dissenting fellow. I will admit I am very sensitive to the ranges of parenting...it is 100% my son's fault for not letting us know where he was and not carrying a wave phone..but I was surprised that parents allowed their 14-17 year olds to hang out until 2:30 and not think to make them turn in for the night. We were too trusting with our son's maturity and all learned a valuable lesson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectmatch300 View Post
Wow, Tara, after such an awesome day on St John & such beautiful pictures! I'm so sorry you had to go through that ordeal with your son. Whatever was he thinking?! Not having kids of my own, I can't imagine what that must have felt like. It's going to be really interesting to hear how the rest of your cruise unfolds!

Realized I'd missed your St Martin report. Sorry the island was not as nice as you hoped. I really do want to get to Maho Beach to see the planes some day.
He was thinking it was pretty cool to have a crew of buddies who laughed at his jokes, shared the same sense of humor, and were always there to hang out with...at home, we've got a busy schedule, he rows 5 days a week, takes college courses and is active in about 4 other activities...not many have good 'hang' time. Every other weekend a regatta or event taking place...all kids need some down time...and no one wants to be the party pooper and say they have to leave the 'fun'. You should have seen his face when I asked if there was anything going on that I would not allow..he was upset that I thought he would be with those types of kids...but on cruises you never know. I ran into two kids while searching for him that were from Vibe and something funny was with them...slurring words..not comprehending what I was saying...our son is very strong against drinking and smoking...but at 2:30 in the morning you have to check out all angles! We put character first and he's learned an important lesson about his responsibilities and how that tarnishes or molds a good character. Parenting is really a journey, and most the time joyous!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMMarla07860 View Post
well since I don't have kids I don't understand how you felt about your son being missing for that time, but I can kind of understand why my dad use to stalk(know where I was at night). He doesn't anymore since I am 24. I can understand your son wanting to be out with friends though, I've had plenty of late nights, till 4:00am once
Love those stalker Dads!! We did that on our first cruise! My husband could not believe other families would just let their children stay in a club and roam the ship or go to their room by themselves...he followed them for about 4 hours and then gave up. We do get too trusting on the ship, but that is one reason why we love Disney...you can trust the CM's and most the time your children...during 3 cruises, this is a first for us...and it's always the first born, you can bet the next two in line won't make the same mistake. We knew my shouting had awakened them both, but neither made a peep..they were probably trying to figure out what had happened. The next day, I asked them if they heard all the ruckus and they said, "Mom, I've never seen you so angry!" Whew!! I was!!
And a friend just posted on FB that a couple was murdered in their condo on St. Maarten 2 days after we left...I'm telling ya, it just did not give ya the loving safe feeling being there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprovGal View Post
I just wanted to say congrats on that win.
We had 48 out of 50 (missed Proclaimers and Tight Fit -- never would have come up with that group; I was thinking of the version by the Nylons but couldn't remember their name).
That cruise was the first time I've seen the ear buds as prizes, so I'm glad we did end up winning some finally.

I can only imagine how much anxiety your son gave you that night. I don't have kids, but I remember worrying my parents at least a couple of times when I was home from college.

I think that was also the night of the Pop! game show? If I'm remembering correctly, by leaving early you missed quite a show in the Tube that night.
AWWW!! 48!! That Tight Fit missed us all up! If you were sitting close to us you could have heard him shout Proclaimers 10 songs later and we could have tied!!! Oh don't even have me thinking about college breaks, eek!!! We were soo exhausted that night...wait! I think we did stay for the Pop game!! That was where they had to match the cards, right?? Yes! We left right after that...they were hilarious!! We got back to the room around 11:30 right after Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgarv View Post
Just finished reading your latest report...and proceeded to chew out my 9-yr-old daughter, just to be proactive! (Naturally, she is still too young for a curfew, but I figure it doesn't hurt to begin discussing this issue as soon as possible, including the consequences when/if she pulls this stunt.) Glad that everything was ok in the end!
Start young!! Leave the questioning what you actually found out they did and they'll do less Feel blessed our journey has been pretty few bumps along the way...a momma just wants to know her birds are safe and secure and doing right! You're doing a great job starting at 9...hug and reprimand, hug and reprimand Just kidding...load more hugs and very few reprimands between...unless they push your buttons, that is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedyhenry View Post
I am really enjoying your report! we leave in 12 days with our 16 year old DD and 11 year old DS. Your report is giving me lots to ponder and will help us be proactive. Can't wait to read more. I would have a really hard time coming up with a suitable consequence too - one that wouldn't end up being a punishment for the parents as well! Thanks for sharing your experiences!
I guess I just never expected parents to allow other teens in their rooms past midnight...and of course expected my son to let us know where he was....our daughters had NO problems, were always carrying their wave phones...my son is horrible about keeping up with it and kept leaving it in Vibe or at dinner and was so afraid he'd lose it and it would cost us $250..he knows how tight budgets are...but next time he'll have to velcro it to his belt buckles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis_Yoda View Post
Were the teenagers in the Royal Suite? I say this as I know they had a teenage girl in the Walt Disney Suite & we were right next to it. They always seemed to be having people over there.
You know, they could have been, I know we were on deck 6 and they came down from above. I knew the family's name and they were from out West, that is as much as I knew about the room....it was not their fault, solely my son's and I think having security call them at 2:30am was enough to send a message that it's not good by some parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna71985 View Post
Wow, that's scary about your son! I'm glad it all worked out in the end
We came up with a punishment that was fitting. And I have to admit, he was an ANGEL the next two days. The most considerate, kind, loving son...sometimes it pays to have these blips!!

Old 09-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #43
Joanna71985

Ooo, this should be interesting!
Old 09-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #44
Tami0220
Chip & Dale Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgarv View Post
LOL this is so true! We have a mixed family. So daughter is 10 years younger than step son. Everytime he got in trouble I would scold her and say "If I ever catch you doing that!" She was a great kid never in trouble and laughs about it today now that she has her own daughter.

Tami & Mike
Tami0220 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #45
tokyodisneydad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If I could do that, I think I would have publishers knocking down my door!! Let's send pixie dust to each other that we get it in the next 20 years!!
I think it's going take all the Pixie Dust in Pixie Hollow for me to get it within the next 20 years Love my wife with all my heart, but she and I are like oil and vinegar sometimes.

The more I read your story, the more it's like looking in a mirror. I am the bargainer in my family....when we went to Nassau I bargained for everything...best deal was when I bargained for hairbraiding at 80 cents a braid versus the 2 bucks onboard. I am the dancer out of the wife and I...when we were on the Wonder I wanted to dance, but she refused.

Oh man would my kids have been in hot water had they pulled that stunt. They would have been locked in the cabin the rest of the cruise. You would have thought that girls dad would have had a little sense to send everyone out after 1 in the morning. Oh and by the way my wife is alot more flexible with curfews and rules of the house than I am.

Join THE DIS DAD'S CLUB Here![/QUOTE]
tokyodisneydad is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: