Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
deanimal
DIS Veteran

Seeing Billy Hill

It looks like Billy Hill and the Hillbillies will be playing at big thunder ranch jamboree when we're there next week, and we're hoping to see them, but I have a few questions. What is the venue like? Is it part of the big thunder BBQ or is it a separate performance venue? Is food served there? It looks like the only restaurant in the area is the big thunder BBQ, but we're not really interested in eating there. Is it fairly convenient to buy a burger somewhere else and bring it there to eat? Is it bleacher like seating or tables and chairs? We're kind of planning to see than while we take a lunch break, but that plan was based on their old venue. Has anyone seen them at their new site that can help me out?
deanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

It's a separate area. Big festival area with a tent like structure giving shade. They have several wooden benches, no backs, to sit on. I know I have a picture of it so I will dig one up. It is unfortunately not as ideal as the Golden Horseshoe. I commented to the CM's working the event that the Billy's need to go back to the GH and they told me to take the message to City Hall. I guess a few people are unhappy about it.

No food in there but one stand was selling bottles of coke products.

2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI)
2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
Blue32
DIS Veteran

I got the impression this was a temporary move.
Any word on if this show will be moved back to the GH?
Blue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

We wandered back there this summer and caught half their show. I did like that it was so open and there was lots of room to sit.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #5
CamoMama
DIS Veteran

We went the first week in July and this is what the venue looked like then:

As you can see in the last picture, seating was folding chairs in rows, no tables.

Feb/Mar 2014 - DLR Diva Trip - GCH
Feb/Mar 2013 - DLR Diva Trip - HoJo's
July 2012 - DLR - Anaheim Carriage Inn (never again)
May 2012 - DLR - Motel 6 ~ Read my solo trip report here!
February 2012 - CBR
July 2010 - DLR - Embassy Suites
1978-1990 - DLR - multiple trips, all offsite
CamoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #6
deanimal
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the great pictures! I'm kind of sorry that they moved since it seems that it would be nicer to see them while having lunch. Oh well, its helpful to see the venue. We'll just have to see how it works out.
deanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
rosie2283
Mouseketeer

I agree that seeing Billy Hill was great being able to have lunch at the GH, but there wasn't a lot of seating and the congestion with ordering and finding seats among everyone...blah.

Did I miss it, but is there food allowed in or is it just a show?

rosie2283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
KCmike

Updated seating ---- taken from miceage's updates

This was the exact kind of seating we had in July of this year.

2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI)
2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Old 09-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
CamoMama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCmike View Post
Updated seating ---- taken from miceage's updates

This was the exact kind of seating we had in July of this year.

Wow! That is very different! What part of July were you there? Our pictures were taken on July 2nd of this year.

February 2012 - CBR
Old 09-23-2012, 12:34 AM   #10
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue32 View Post
I got the impression this was a temporary move.
Any word on if this show will be moved back to the GH?
From what I have heard they intended the change to be permanent, unless food sales drop tremendously at GH. This provides an extra venue for Disney with very little extra money being spent. This gives them somewhere to put more people, easing congestion without decreasing park capacity and makes it seem to be less crowded, which reduces guest complaints.

It also means that they can have more people watching Billy Hill and the Hillbillies.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #11
KCmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoMama View Post
Wow! That is very different! What part of July were you there? Our pictures were taken on July 2nd of this year.
This is going to sound very strange because we were there from June 25 through July 4th. So we hit at the same time and saw a completely different setup for Billy Hill. We did it twice too which makes it even stranger. Could it be they changed it during our short time period??

Old 09-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #12
CamoMama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCmike View Post
This is going to sound very strange because we were there from June 25 through July 4th. So we hit at the same time and saw a completely different setup for Billy Hill. We did it twice too which makes it even stranger. Could it be they changed it during our short time period??
It is very possible, the move was still pretty new and they may have been experimenting with seating arrangements. It's not as if either arrangement were bolted down.

February 2012 - CBR
Old 09-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
DLRfan31
A Pirate's Life for Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
From what I have heard they intended the change to be permanent, unless food sales drop tremendously at GH. This provides an extra venue for Disney with very little extra money being spent. This gives them somewhere to put more people, easing congestion without decreasing park capacity and makes it seem to be less crowded, which reduces guest complaints.

It also means that they can have more people watching Billy Hill and the Hillbillies.
I was hoping they'd move them back to the Horseshoe.

How do they sound in that big open area?
DLRfan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #14
KCmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRfan31 View Post
I was hoping they'd move them back to the Horseshoe.

How do they sound in that big open area?
The sound is ok but the venue is definitely lacking. When you see them in the ultimate format of the Golden Horseshoe and then they get pushed back to here you just long for the original. I don't want to get flamed here for this but I don't care for the Laughing Stock Comedy show. They should be relegated to the festival area. Just my two cents. I know we all have our likes and dislikes.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #15
ballarinamom
DIS Veteran

I agree about not being excited about the Laughing Stock. We're were thinking I could send the DH and DD to get one of what looks like a few tables while I grab food from Village Hause. I dont think it's too far of a walk from one to the other. We used to get food from Rancho del Zaccalo and eat it during the Billy Hill Show at the GH...

Me (44 yikes!) , DH (46) , DD (11)
ballarinamom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: