Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
boscov
Mouseketeer

Poly vs CR?

We are looking towards our trip next year and I think we have narrowed it down to these 2 hotels. We've changed our minds 100 times, so this probably won't be my last post. We really want to stay close to MK because we will have our 6 and 2 year old daughters. I think there is something special about staying at the original resorts. Which of these resorts would you pick and why?

boscov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

We've never stayed at the CR, but we love the Poly . We love the tropical surroundings and walking around at night under the lit tiki torches is relaxing. We also love the volcano pool and love that it backs up to the beach, which is a great place for lying in a hammock watching the fireworks . With all of that said, I'm sure the CR is a great resort, but our choice would be the Poly for the atmosphere and theme/decor .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #3
HeyIt'sMe
For Tag Fairy's Use only
That weed whacker just intimidates me somethin' fierce!

For us there's no question - the Poly.

Setting: We love the tropical atmosphere - so much beautiful foliage. We love the music they pipe in all around the resort. It feels like a vacation within a vacation. The CR seems too modern and 'cold' to us.
The volcano pool is fun --- and DH loves the Barefoot Pool Bar. Watching fireworks from the beach is great.

Restaurants: OMG - Kona Cafe and 'Ohana are deeeeelish!

Transportation: You have so many great options. The monorail from GCH to MK, boat to MK, you can walk to the T&TC to catch the monorail to Epcot (or MK). We spend most of our time at MK & Epcot and love the great transportation options.

Have fun planning your trip!

1970s - Contemporary: Nov 1975
1980s - Offsite: Jun 1985
1990s - Polynesian: Oct 1991, Oct 1993

2000s - Polynesian: Sep 2000, Oct 2001, Sep 2002, Oct 2003, Oct 2004, Oct 2006, Oct 2008
2010s - Polynesian: Oct 2010, Oct 2011, Oct 2012, Oct 2013
Trip Planning in Progress - Grand Floridian (sorry Polynesian): Oct 2014
HeyIt'sMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
WDW Obsessed
Mouseketeer

Yep......Poly. No comparison!
WDW Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
carolinamama
Mouseketeer

Having done both, my whole family actually prefers CR! My oldest likes that the monorail stop is in the building. DH and I loved waking to the MK. No, it's not as visually stunning as Poly, but CR was such a hit that we're doing BLT since our family has grown.

15 Trips to WDW since 1981 - Bay Lake Tower (2013), Port Orleans Riverside (2013), Contemporary (2009), Polynesian (2008), Wilderness Lodge (1995 and 2006), Caribbean Beach (1995 and other prior dates), Beach Club (1996), Disney Inn (1986), Disney Villas And now a Disneyland trip as well! Grand Californian (2010)
carolinamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Hi OP. We just returned last week from a stay at BLT (DVC tower of the CR). I would recommend the CR for your family. We found that walking to the MK was so easy for our family. I have two two year old boys and a double stroller. We were able to walk to the MK from the resort in 5-7 minutes. Much quicker than the monorail and so easy. Made going back for an afternoon break painless. Also, during our stay (and from what I understand this is normal) the CR and the Poly shared buses to DHS and AK. The CR is the first stop and I can tell you that every bus we took was already full before it made it to the Poly.

The view of the MK fireworks from the CR tower is fantastic and it's easy to hop the monorail and see them from the Poly beach if you want (we did that). There is also an observation deck on the 4th floor of the CR for all to see the fireworks. My boys loved the monorail running through the resort. We prefer the quick service of contempo cafe over the Poly's captain cooks (although it is pretty good, just like contempo cafe better).

I think the pool is better at the Poly but is always so crowded. The pool at the CR is more basic (but has a slide) but it is less crowded. I also like that if you stay in a room in the tower of the CR you are guaranteed a balcony, not so at the Poly. The garden view rooms at the CR are priced very reasonably but there is no guaranteed of a patio or balcony. I think the Poly grounds are prettier but we enjoy the feel of the CR, I prefer the look of the CR rooms (we have stayed in the tower), and once again, the WALK to the MK. Either resort will be a fantastic trip!
Old 09-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

we like the CR...great views of the MK and so convenient..it is a ten minute walk from the CR to the entrance of the MK....a few times at park closing the lines for the resort monorail were ridiculous and i believe the boat stops at GF first- the Poly is great but the convenience factor of the CR can't be beat...
Old 09-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #8
eodultis
Earning My Ears

I've never stayed at CR. Always stayed at the Poly, even as a child. It's a great resort for children and adults. The atmosphere is great, along with the beaches and pools. It makes you feel like you're at a separate resort in itself. You feel isolated from the rest of the resorts due to the palm trees and other garden views.....it's just fabulous! Happy choosing....
eodultis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #9
Kimosabe
DIS Veteran

If going in a season where you might be hitting the pool, I would say Poly (and I realize that season is pretty long but we have been at WDW at 20 degrees and sleeting, so it does happen!). Otherwise, CR for the sheer proximity to MK, in-hotel monorail and concept that Mickey and friends "work" right there in Chef Mickey's (assuming you plan to eat there...if not, maybe you don't want them to see that!).

Honestly, it's a no-lose option at either place, so maybe describe and show pix to the kids and let them decide...our kids love to feel like they are making some of the important decisions for vacation.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
B-Ride
Getting My Disney Fix

We have stayed the Poly 6 years in a row and love it. Next year we are trying out the Contemporary.

For a first deluxe stay I would choose the Poly. The theming is fantastic.

For MK convenience, the walk from the Contemporary is great but only if you are prepared to walk.
Disneyland Grand Californian 2014
B-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #11
Pancakes
Mouseketeer

Definitely the Polynesian. It's such a great getaway. It's like a Hawaii and Disney trip smushed together into one

The music is relaxing and the POOL is so much nicer. PLUS a great view of Wishes! from the beach.

I stayed at the Poly for the first time in August. We stayed in Rarotonga and we were seconds away from The Great Ceremonial House/Monorail and bus stop.

I would definitely recommend Poly over CR.

...Oh, and dole whips in Captain Cooks. That is all.

*WDWCP Spring 2013 Recreation*~Port Orleans Riverside
* WDWCP Spring 2012 Merchandise*~Polynesian Resort
http://melissadcp.tumblr.com/
http://mkwoww2107.blogspot.com

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #12
lovemy3girls
DIS Veteran

Poly theming is awesome! BUT it is so nice to be able to walk back to your resort and not have to wait in a crowd for a monorail at the end of the day, and for that reason I'd pick CR.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #13
shopgirl78
Mouseketeer

My (then) 6, 4 and 2 year olds favorite part about Disney in March 2012 was Poly's pool. It was amazing! The CR didn't really appeal to me but we just went for Chef Mickey's.
March 2015 DCL/AoA

8 years 6 years 4 years
shopgirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #14
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscov View Post
We really want to stay close to MK because we will have our 6 and 2 year old daughters.
if you want to stay close to the MK you can with BLT/CR - you can't get closer - okay the castle suite in the castle are closer - but don't think you can easily rent it.

now love the Polyn for years it was my favorite WDW hotel. having stayed at BLT several times now - Polyn may be nice and have a better atmosphere - but for the MK BLT/CR can't be beat.

the blt is newer than CR - and the 1-bedroom are definitely nicer. that say the studios are smaller and would not recommend them to your family.

with a 6 and 2 year old - you might appreciate the kitchen and washer/dryer in your room you get with a DVC 1-bedroom. you can rent a reservation from a DVC member.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: