Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #16
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbymom View Post
Thank you for the responses. That was helpful information. We were debating the Kali ride, since there's a high possibility you get soaking wet, we were thinking of skipping it, because his leg can't get wet, it's electronic, and I don't want to go on the ride without him. I think we decided that if we do want to take the kids, I hate getting wet, so he'll go on the ride and I'll be the "leg keeper" at the end of the ride ) They do drop you off at the same place you got on, right?
I made a long post on your question about Kali - you may not have seen it, so I will add it here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
Here is a picture that shows the famous 'wall of water'

On our last ride, I got one of the splash seats and was totally wet to the skin. I went into the bathroom and wrung at least 2 cups of water out of my clothes. I was still wet enough, even after that I was still dripping for the next half hour.
So even if he removes the leg, I would still suggest he wear a poncho - otherwise his clothes could drip on the leg.

The ride starts and ends in the same place, but the regular boarding area has a round rotating load and unload area. The boats are moving along with the rotating area, so it is not totally stable and guests have a short time to old and unload.
He should load at the accessible loading area shown in this picture:

As an empty boat goes by, the CM opens the gate (the bar going across the water in the middle of the picture). That allows a boat to enter the area. The the CM raises the bar again, which traps a boat so that it will not move until all the guests have boarded.
For exiting, the CMs do the same thing.
It is not an easy transfer. A wheelchair can be parked next to the boat, but you have to go down into the boat and then over to a seat. The seats are made of plastic and the seats and floors can be wet and slippery because of water coming into the boat. For guests using wheelchairs, once you have gotten into the boat, the CM will move the wheelchair out of the way. You will return to the same dock when your ride is over.
There is also a transfer assist device that fits over the side and guests can sit on it and sort of bump down into the boat.

His leg could be left at that boarding area, but would be safer if you or some other member of your party actually serves as the 'leg keeper'.
As was already mentioned, there is no way to tell what the wait will be. It depends on how many other people with disabilities are there ahead of you, whether there is more than one handicapped vehicles in use and how many people ahead of you need that vehicle.

If you look in the disABILITIES FAQs thread, there is a lot of information that might be helpful. One if the posts on page 2 of that thread has a list of attractions where all guests will stand to wait for a period of time unless they have a mobility device with them. There are VERY few attractions with a place to sit if the guest does not have something with them to sit on.

You can find that thread near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature.

A post on page 1 of that thread lists the 'mobility entrance' for WDW attractions. As you will see, most attractions do not have a special entrances for guests with disabilities. The ones that do tend to be ones that have a longer wait for guests with disabilities because all have to go that way because the regular way is not accessible.
You could be lucky and get there when no one else with a disability is waiting. Or, you could get there and wait 30 minutes more than the people in the 'regular' line who could walk in.

Important things to keep in mind about Guest Assistance Cards:
- they are not meant to shorten the wait
- they almost never shorten the distance walked
- most attractions do not have a place to sit

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #17
Gumbymom
Earning My Ears

Thank you guys!!

Today we were discussing that maybe we should just get one of those canes with the little round seat attached. We'll probably get one and test it for a few days to see if it's more helpful than hindrance.

Sue, I did miss that post, I checked it once, there was nothing new, so I never went back again. That is a great point about the water dripping down on his leg even after the ride. I think we'll just take everyone's advice and skip it. He doesn't care one way or the other, I hate getting wet, and the kids will be none the wiser about the ride. The pictures were great! thank you. It reminds me of some ride in CA called Big Foot that I rode as a kid, but I have no clue what amusement park it was at. Knott's maybe?
Gumbymom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: