Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #31
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer
 
fuzzlekins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 493

Me personally, I only drink water (both home and at parks - I swore off soda a long time ago). Although with the DP, I may have to do something different with meals b/c I don't drink the local water.
__________________
11/4-11/12/10
2/4-2/11/12
2/1-2/9/13
1/31-2/9/14
fuzzlekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #32
PaulaSB12
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kettering, UK
Posts: 6,036

I enjoy the occasional drink (i have the fixings for a grey goose slushie in the fridge) I drink a bit more on holiday because I am not driving and not working. But if wanting to drink in magic kingdom is seen as having a problem I wonder what they feel about the rare occasion when I have a small glass of cider with my porridge after a night shift.
PaulaSB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #33
dwaters
Mouseketeer
 
dwaters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Milford, CT (formerly Maine)
Posts: 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaSB12 View Post
But if wanting to drink in magic kingdom is seen as having a problem I wonder what they feel about the rare occasion when I have a small glass of cider with my porridge after a night shift.
I don't think it's wanting to drink in Magic Kingdom, but needing to drink that would make you have a problem.

a little off-topic, but...
The only place I have felt the need to drink, or at least tremendous pressure to is at NFL football games. If you're not holding a beer, at the tailgate or in the stadium, you feel out of place. If the stadiums went dry, I bet the NFL would fold within a year.
dwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #34
jlewisinsyr
DIS Veteran
 
jlewisinsyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,534

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaters View Post
a little off-topic, but...
The only place I have felt the need to drink, or at least tremendous pressure to is at NFL football games. If you're not holding a beer, at the tailgate or in the stadium, you feel out of place. If the stadiums went dry, I bet the NFL would fold within a year.
Exactly, it's the only way one can sit through a football game...with liberal amounts of beer.
__________________
: (34) : (36)
jlewisinsyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #35
smidgy
dimples
 
smidgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chicago area
Posts: 6,664

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaters View Post
How so? I don't get why you're so against it?
There's a reason it's a popular phrase. It's true!

I think especially at MK or WDW- quite possibly the "funnest" place on earth, the idea of needing a beer to make things fun seems strange- like trying to liven up a party that doesn't need livening.

Now drinking to relax- I could see that somewhat after dodging strollers, heat and slow moving lines all day.
the part I bolded is why I dislike the phrase in a thread about alcohol at theme parks.

this is not a thread about alcoholics, or the symptoms of alcoholism. yes, not being able to have fun without alcohol, or NEEDING a drink to have fun would be a symptom of alcoholism.

THIS, however, is a thread about whether or not alcohol should be served at MK. most people who enjoy adult beverages are not alcoholics, can enjoy said beverages without "needing" them, and have plenty fun without them.

just because people state their opinon that they would enjoy a cocktail at MK does NOT mean they can't have fun without it, or that they "need" it.

I also think that those who can't have fun without alcohol have a drinking problem. but that's not the topic of this thread at all.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #36
Cobra B.
Merrily on my way to nowhere at all
 
Cobra B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Galloway, NJ
Posts: 409

I have one problem with this and it will seem a little strange at first. My problem is if you make this the only place to get a drink you force some to stay at their table far longer than they might normally. If they know this is the only place in the park to drink they will continue to order and stay at their table. Thus, everyone loses out because the tabletops will not turnover fast enough for the amount of guests wishing to sit for dinner. That will immediately cause management to add other libation locations. Just a matter of time!
Kungaloosh.
__________________
9/94 GF, Poly; 4/95 Cont; 9/96 Poly; 5/97 OKW, Poly; 8/97 Cont; 12/97 CBR; 4/98 CSR; 9/98 CSR, OKW; 12/98 OKW; 4/99 CSR; 10/99 OKW, CL; 12/99 OKW, ASM; 4/00 OKW; 8/00 VBR, OKW, CSR; 12/00 OKW; 2/01 OKW; 10/01 AKL, OKW; 1/02 OKW; 4/02 OKW, PO, HH; 10/02 BCV; 11/02 OKW; 3/03 OKW; 10/03 Music, OKW; 4/04 PC, OKW; 9/04 BCV; 11/04 OKW; 1/05 OKW; 5/05 VB, OKW; 9/05 BCV; 12/05 OKW; 5/06 VB, OKW; 8/06 OKW; 11/06 OKW; 2/07 OKW; 6/07 VB, OKW; 8/07 OKW; 11/07 OKW; 5/08 VBR, BCV; 8/08 Sports, OKW; 12/08 OKW; 5/09 VBR, OKW; 8/09 BWV, BCV; 11/09 OKW; 5/10 OKW; 8/10 VB, SSR, Pop; 9/10 OKW; 11/10 OKW; 4/11 VBR, AKL KV; 8/11 OKW; 11/11 OKW; 1/12 OKW; 4/12 SSR; 8/12 OKW; 11/12 OKW; 4/13 OKW; 8/13 VBR, OKW It all started with a rabbit.





Last edited by Cobra B.; 10-02-2012 at 06:06 AM.
Cobra B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:53 PM   #37
smidgy
dimples
 
smidgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chicago area
Posts: 6,664

good point. if other people with ADRS are waiting, I wonder at what oint they will say," you're done eating, time to leave."

maybe they'll have a 2 drink maximum (almost wrote minimum )
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #38
Magic Fanatic
Mouseketeer
 
Magic Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra B. View Post
I have one problem with this and it will seem a little strange at first. My problem is if you make this the only place to get a drink you force some to stay at their table far longer than they might normally. If they know this is the only place in the park to drink they will continue to order and stay at their table. Thus, everyone loses out because the tabletops will not turnover fast enough for the amount of guests wishing to sit for dinner. That will will immediately cause management to add other libation locations. Just a matter of time!
Kungaloosh.
I understand the point you are making and it is a good one. However, Disney has such a vast amount of analytical analysis around the dining habits of guests that I would be willing to bet that they can predict within 10 to 12 minutes how long each guest will be seated at each table and set the number of priority seating reservations accordingly. In the other alcohol friendly restaurants around Disney I have found that a beer or drink is priced just high enough to where you might opt for a drink during your dinner, but may not be so interested in having 4 or 5 drinks after dinner. To your point, Disney knows exactly how many times a table must be turned and they are not going to price point beer and wine to a level where guests will simply "camp out " and drink for several hours.
__________________
May 2014 - Disney Fantasy May 2013 - Disney Dream Dec 2012 - Ft Wilderness June 2012 - Wilderness Lodge April 2010 - Wilderness Lodge Dec 2009 - Ft Wilderness May 2009 - Old Key West Aug 2008 - Ft Wilderness Mar 2008 - Disney Magic Dec 2007 - Ft Wilderness Feb 2007 - Animal Kingdom April 2006 - Disney Magic Dec 2005 - Wilderness Lodge Mar 2005 - Wilderness Lodge Dec 2004 - Caribbean Beach Aug 2003 Caribbean Beach June 2002 - Port Orleans Oct 1009 - All Star Music
Magic Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #39
Magic Fanatic
Mouseketeer
 
Magic Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
the part I bolded is why I dislike the phrase in a thread about alcohol at theme parks.

this is not a thread about alcoholics, or the symptoms of alcoholism. yes, not being able to have fun without alcohol, or NEEDING a drink to have fun would be a symptom of alcoholism.

THIS, however, is a thread about whether or not alcohol should be served at MK. most people who enjoy adult beverages are not alcoholics, can enjoy said beverages without "needing" them, and have plenty fun without them.

just because people state their opinon that they would enjoy a cocktail at MK does NOT mean they can't have fun without it, or that they "need" it.

I also think that those who can't have fun without alcohol have a drinking problem. but that's not the topic of this thread at all.
You are 100% correct and it is the same point I was trying to make earlier in this thread. I just feel that several of the comments within this thread have been condescending and somehow attempt to insult people that happen to enjoy an occasional beer or glass of wine. The point is, I drink, plain and simple and during the 30 years I have been visiting the Magic Kingdom I never once felt like my enjoyment of the park was diminished because I could not buy a beer. Honestly I didn't care. Now, there is a new dining offering that will allow me to enjoy a French beer and wine. I hardly think this is going to lead to the end of the mouse as we know it.
__________________
May 2014 - Disney Fantasy May 2013 - Disney Dream Dec 2012 - Ft Wilderness June 2012 - Wilderness Lodge April 2010 - Wilderness Lodge Dec 2009 - Ft Wilderness May 2009 - Old Key West Aug 2008 - Ft Wilderness Mar 2008 - Disney Magic Dec 2007 - Ft Wilderness Feb 2007 - Animal Kingdom April 2006 - Disney Magic Dec 2005 - Wilderness Lodge Mar 2005 - Wilderness Lodge Dec 2004 - Caribbean Beach Aug 2003 Caribbean Beach June 2002 - Port Orleans Oct 1009 - All Star Music
Magic Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:54 AM   #40
Bella the Ball 360
Keyboarding is not my thing excuse typos.
I am going to have to sew "whoopie pie" pockets on the hips of my jeans
 
Bella the Ball 360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,087

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaters View Post
It's not that big a deal I suppose, but it just seems like one more thing that will make the Magic Kingdom not like it used to be.

I always respected that, while you could drink at the other 3 parks, Magic Kingdom was kept dry and remained "sacred ground". It set it apart from any old Six Flags or places like that.
ITA while it is nice to update the Magic Kingdom is NOT like it used to be. It is too bad and while someone posted that it cost very little to get in years ago keep in mind people earned less so it is proportional. It was always comparatively expensive to get in and I have gone for the past 48 years to all the parks. While this might sound simplistic, I guess it represents the loss of "innocence" that has infiltrated the park via the shameless commercialization which has only gotten worse over the years.
__________________
Bella the Ball 360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #41
divawife
DIS Veteran
 
divawife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,190

Back in the day (the 1970's esp. 1976 during the BiCentennial) us naughty college kids would smuggle in airline bottles of booze to mix with our cokes. So in reality the Magic Kingdom always had a few having a few.
divawife is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.