Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Collectors Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
1stvisit0909
DIS Veteran

Kids want to try pins...how many? Newbie alert!

So we are going to be there for a week at Christmas. We want to try pin trading - I thought it might help with some of the wait times to chat with CMs etc.

I've been reading threads and how to buy and what not, checked the ebay "ok" sellers list, and I found a set of 25 for $50 on ebay (they were booster packs, sealed) from one of the sellers on the list. Ive also looked at the starter sets at Disney.com I do NOT want to accidentally get/trade scrappers, but at the same time, the kits are $50 for 8 pins.

Do you think 25 will be enough between the girls to get started? I see some posts were people are talking about trading 20-25 a DAY. Wow. Or should I get them each a set of 25? will that be enough? It sounds like so much fun!

We are doing it for the fun of it, but Im sure they will end up with some they want to keep, and I dont want to run out the first 2 days!!

Suggestions? How many should kids who are new start with?

Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time TR POFQ 2012 OKW 09
1stvisit0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
baloony
Earning My Ears

Pin Trading is alot of fun. My Daughter started when she was 10 with a 6 pin set bought at the gift shop at ALMo. We have obviously added to the collection since she is 19 now. But it is a great way to interact with cast members and other guests. This past June we got into an in depth conversation with a cast member about how she collected pins only from Tokyo. You can even trade pins through the mail and continue the fun when you are not in the parks. Word of warning though, if you start to buy additional pins, it can become an expensive hobby. Trust me, I know. Started out with 6 pins, now have 2 big lanyards full. But I say go for it!. Just be careful, there are pins out there that are not official trading pins.
baloony is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
1stvisit0909
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloony View Post
Pin Trading is alot of fun. My Daughter started when she was 10 with a 6 pin set bought at the gift shop at ALMo. We have obviously added to the collection since she is 19 now. But it is a great way to interact with cast members and other guests. This past June we got into an in depth conversation with a cast member about how she collected pins only from Tokyo. You can even trade pins through the mail and continue the fun when you are not in the parks. Word of warning though, if you start to buy additional pins, it can become an expensive hobby. Trust me, I know. Started out with 6 pins, now have 2 big lanyards full. But I say go for it!. Just be careful, there are pins out there that are not official trading pins.
I know! I dont want to add to the problem of scrappers for sure!

I wanna do it too

Old 09-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
BigPumba
Earning My Ears

We only let DTwins trade 2 a day and only with cast members. Also get the pin locks for the real special one this keeps them From accidentally trading them. It's great fun for the kids
BigPumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

We are all avid traders, we can easily trade 10-20 pins a day and there are 4 of us! lol I would suggest getting each person 25 pins to trade, that will give you plenty just in case.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
taysalyn
DIS Veteran
not waiting for the tag fairies anymore! :)

tips from a previous CM

Just a word of caution before you purchase all these pins. Make sure you know your children's willingness to actually walk up to a CM and be willing to trade with them. In my experience, some children had a hard time with that. Sometimes the parents would force the child to walk up to the CM and by that time the child was so scared they were nearly in tears. That could be a concern, so just an FYI.

Otherwise, I say the more pins the merrier. Once you cross the threshold of pin trading, there's no turning back. It's such a fun and exciting adventure, especially if you are looking for a particular character (mine was either Figment or Chip/Dale) or if you want to focus on a specific ride or even resort that is a favorite such as The Haunted Mansion or Wilderness Lodge.

In all cases, the main focus is to have tons of fun and remember to let us know how the trading went. Keep us informed.

Happy Trading!!

1989 - Off site / 1991 - Off site / 2000 - Contemporary / 2001 - Off site / 2002 - All Stars Sports GPA2 / 2004 to 2006 - WDW Cast Member / 2007 - Wilderness Lodge & Off site MNSSHP / 2008 - Pop Century & Caribbean Beach / 2009 - Coronado Springs / 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge MVMCP / 2011 - Boardwalk Inn & DCL Dream #8508 / 2012 - DCL Fantasy #7676 / 2013 - Beach Club
taysalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
1stvisit0909
DIS Veteran

Thanks! I would never force my kids, do not roll that way. My girls want to try it, but my youngest did say " what if don't want to?" I told her could decide not to, or I'd help her. They got a shipment of 25 in...and are so excited!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: