Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
chuds
Earning My Ears

wilderness lodge worries

Hi

can anyome help, due at WL woods view room next month travelling from UK, 3 peoplegoing DW who has rheumatoid and has to use a ECV, DS age 16 about 5'8'', me. Have spoken to tour operator re accesible room but we are really worried as how can 1 room fit a ECV, and 3 people, safely and without overcrowding. Tour operator said Disney not very accomodating to tourists and more interested in conventions etc. We have paid not an inconsiderable sum for this vacation and dont want to crowded together as like most teenagers DS likes his own space any ideas/suggestions/help welcom
chuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuds View Post
Tour operator said Disney not very accomodating to tourists

You're tour operator is either delusional or has never actually been to Disney.
Kellykins1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

WL rooms average 340 sq. ft. in size. This is much larger than rooms at the value resorts or most moderate resorts. I think there will be plenty of room for the ECV. If necessary, Mousekeeping can move furniture out (table and/or chairs) but I don't think this will be necessary. Accessible rooms have accommodations, primarily related to the bathroom (handrails, some with roll-in showers, etc.) - if your DW needs this style of room, your TA should book one for you (assuming one is available for your travel dates). However, if she simply uses the ECV to help get her around the resorts and parks, and can manage bedroom/bathroom space without those accommodations, an accessible room will not necessarily be what you want. The larger bathroom can make the bedroom area smaller, and you indicated your teenage DS wants his "space."

WDW is one of the most accommodating vacation destinations for those with various disabilities.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
Piper
DIS Veteran

i don't know where your tour guide got their "information" but it was wrong. WDW is very accommodating--has very good rooms for both accessible and non-accessible guests. Read the FAQs at the top of this board. I don't think you can count on your tour guide for accurate information.....you may need to know some of the things in the very accurate FAQs!
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
pbrim
Mouseketeer

My friend and I have had 2 ECVs in an AKL room with no problems, so you should be OK. You may want to take a power strip with you as that can give you a little more flexability in positioning the ECV. (Or an extension cord, but if so you need one of those heavy duty cords that take a 3 prong plug -- a power strip is better.)

There is usually a little table with a couple of chairs, and if necessary you can request those removed to give you more floor space, but it probably won't be necessary.

Disney Land: 1961, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1969, Oct 1994; Oct 2014
Disney World: AKL Oct 2009, WL Nov 2011, POFQ May 2014
pbrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
book_junkie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi

can anyome help, due at WL woods view room next month travelling from UK, 3 peoplegoing DW who has rheumatoid and has to use a ECV, DS age 16 about 5'8'', me. Have spoken to tour operator re accesible room but we are really worried as how can 1 room fit a ECV, and 3 people, safely and without overcrowding. Tour operator said Disney not very accomodating to tourists and more interested in conventions etc. We have paid not an inconsiderable sum for this vacation and dont want to crowded together as like most teenagers DS likes his own space any ideas/suggestions/help welcom
Hi!

Don't panic, it's definitely doable. Here's the basic layout with the two beds:

Door will be on the left side on the picture, all the way on the right is the balcony. I've had an ECV parked between the wall and the doorway to the balcony (by the bed on the far right of the picture), and I've had Disney remove the table so that two ECVs could fit (parked them at the foot of the beds instead).

If your teen needs/wants separate time/space, there are options- going onto the balcony if you don't want them to wander too far, or going off on their own to the lobby (which is beautiful) or down by the pool.

I would definitely bring a power strip or two, one at least for the ECV and one for your teen's stuff!

Past Trips: Oct 14 Cruise & Land; Nov-Dec 2013; May 2013 WDW; Oct-Nov 2012 WDW; Oct 2011 WDW Mother/Daughter Getaway; Oct/Nov 2010 WDW; Oct 2010 WDW Mother/Daughter Getaway; Oct 2009 WDW; June 2008 DL ; Nov 2007 WDW Clan Reunion; Nov 2004 WDW; June 1994 WDW Family Trip; March 1986 WDW Family Trip
book_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
bedogged
Choose parents that aged well

Quote:
Hi

Don't worry. I spent nine nights at WL in May with four adults and an ECV. This was a regular room, not a handicapped room. It was perfectly doable. Not tons of space, but nobody felt crowded.

I think you will enjoy WL. It has some good things regarding using an ECV. When you use the bus, WL is the first stop so you don't have to worry about not having enough room on the bus for the ECV. Also, for the boat to MK, WL uses the bigger boat every other trip so you can use that. You might have to wait for the bigger boat, but it is never very long and a very quick way to MK. The resort is also compact with everything under one roof. It is very nice when the weather isn't.
bedogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
tinka-belle
DIS Veteran

Some of the corridors at WL are loooong. When you check in ask for a room nearer to an elevator instead of way down the end of the hall, but not too close to one as the people coming and going might make for a bit of noise. You will NOT be overcrowded in a WL room!
tinka-belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #9
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

For my family the WL was fine but it is not a huge room by any means. If you are really concerned with having a lot of space and privacy, perhaps a suite at AoA may suit your family's needs better.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
mickey&minniealways
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellykins1218 View Post
You're tour operator is either delusional or has never actually been to Disney.
Ditto this.
mickey&minniealways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
mickey&minniealways
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelovesdisney View Post
For my family the WL was fine but it is not a huge room by any means. If you are really concerned with having a lot of space and privacy, perhaps a suite at AoA may suit your family's needs better.
If space is a real big problem the largest standard rooms on property are at OKW. No matter where you stay there are plenty of places for a teen to hang out. Both of my sons always managed and they are 23 and 25 now. My daughter is 17 and feels it is her right to get as much space as she deems needed. (We pretty much ignore the attitude) She has never complained though. Our last stay was at AKV and I think the standard rooms there are smaller than at WL. Don't quote me on that though.
mickey&minniealways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:59 PM   #12
bedogged
Choose parents that aged well

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey&minniealways View Post
If space is a real big problem the largest standard rooms on property are at OKW. No matter where you stay there are plenty of places for a teen to hang out. Both of my sons always managed and they are 23 and 25 now. My daughter is 17 and feels it is her right to get as much space as she deems needed. (We pretty much ignore the attitude) She has never complained though. Our last stay was at AKV and I think the standard rooms there are smaller than at WL. Don't quote me on that though.
I have stayed at AKL as well. We had a king bed room and it was much smaller than a king bed room at WL. It might measure pretty much the same, but at AKL a lot of the space was the bathroom. It was odd, this great big bathroom and a little room. We had to park the ECV in the bathroom. Kind of tricky to drive in and out of.
bedogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:41 AM   #13
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:
Hi

The WL rooms are designed for 4 adult guests, so 3 guests and an ECV will fit just fine. No issues with safety, there's lots of space to park the ECV inside the room. If you are worried about your son's privacy, you could always change your reservation and get 2 rooms at a value instead, then he could have his own room.

BTW, ECVs fit fine in value rooms too.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #14
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

There are two types of accessible room. Both will include a raised toilet (17 inches instead of 13) with grab bars.

The basic one includes a tub with many grab bars.

The other has a roll-in shower with a built-in seat.

And your tour provider does not realize that WDW is probably the most disabled-friendly vacation location in the world. Point that person just to this forum, and especially suggest they read the disABILITIES FAQs.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! Currently at Everything Pop Merchandise after nine years in Guest Services/Ticket Sales.

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: