Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #406
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathicool View Post

So I have come to accept this is our last trip to disney. We leave in 2 days, I still don't have all of my son's food worked out and most locations can't (won't?) accomodate him. So I am bringing food to a bunch of restaurants, but they won't heat any of it up and in 90 degree weather, I can't take the risk of not having a cooler full of ice to carry his food in, so his food will be cold when it is time to eat it. If this had been conveyed to me sooner, I would not have planned the trip. But to be into it now for airfare, park tickets, accomodations, etc....plus the disappointment of my other 2 kids would be a travesty.

I'm totally stressed out.....and I'm sure I will be, the whole "vacation". So sad......
I honestly wouldn't abandon Disney because of this. It will just require different strategies. I bring a cooler every trip with stuff I can eat. Sure that means I eat cold food instead of hot much of the time but I do have food I can eat and not be sick and still control my blood sugar levels.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #407
SDSorority
I was traumatized as a child by Magic Journeys and The Haunted Mansion. **I have a LGMH with me at all times.** {Is it Podcast day yet??}

Location: The home of the Buckeyes! 975 Miles too far away from Epcot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Hands View Post
I honestly wouldn't abandon Disney because of this. It will just require different strategies. I bring a cooler every trip with stuff I can eat. Sure that means I eat cold food instead of hot much of the time but I do have food I can eat and not be sick and still control my blood sugar levels.

I second this.
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #408
danaw11
Earning My Ears

Does anyone have the phone number to special diets? I seem to have lost it and, of course, can't find it on their website. Thanks!
Old 09-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #409
SDSorority
I was traumatized as a child by Magic Journeys and The Haunted Mansion. **I have a LGMH with me at all times.** {Is it Podcast day yet??}

Location: The home of the Buckeyes! 975 Miles too far away from Epcot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaw11 View Post
Does anyone have the phone number to special diets? I seem to have lost it and, of course, can't find it on their website. Thanks!
(407) WDW-DINE (939-3463) will be able to direct you.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #410
danaw11
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSorority

(407) WDW-DINE (939-3463) will be able to direct you.
Thanks! That must be what I did before and forgot. I also emailed so we will see.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #411
dawnball
bouncie bouncie...
You don't want the camels to spit on you

This may have been mentioned earlier in the thread, and I didn't catch it.

I just got an email from WDW special diets, and they currently consider none of their fryers to be dedicated or low-allergen. They're concerned about cross contamination during the filtration process, and all fryer oil is assumed to be contaminated with gluten, eggs and dairy.
dawnball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #412
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Interesting. I've spoken with different chefs and managers about this specific thing. Each location has their own way of handling this. Anywhere that combines the oil for cleaning doesn't list their fryers as allergen free and will bake their items that would normally be fried, such as fries and chicken tenders but there are a few places that do say they have dedicated fryers and don't combine oil for cleaning.

At CHH for instance the manager seemed to really understand the concern as she explained to me that while they do combine the oil at night for cleaning, they put fresh oil in the allergy fryer in the morning. She did also say that the tools that they use for cleaning the fryer are used in all fryers so it really is up to the individual to decide if this is safe or poses a cross contamination risk.

Talk to the folks working at each location. They'll know what they do and will bake the items if there isn't a safe fryer.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #413
mistysue
DIS Veteran

While we were there a couple weeks ago, the manager at Backlot express told us they had dedicated fryers.
To be fair though, they tried to serve DS the regular chicken tenders insisting they were the right ones, took over 45 minutes to get us ANY food while there were only about 4 people in the place, and I watched a girl put fries on some plates, get tired of waiting for the burgers to be ready and then toss them all back into the main basket of fries, only to put them on other plates a few minutes later. They were obviously training new kitchen staff and the people out front were panicking because they were going so slow and messing up every order. A girl ordered a burger with only bacon and it took them 4 tries to make it right. (at about 5 minutes per try)
So who knows what the "dedicated fryers" reply was worth. I didn't have much faith in them that day.

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #414
ekatiel
DIS Veteran

Bumping for any updates on Udi-gate. Yes, I've named the problem . Anyone seen egg and nut free bread options lately??! --Katie
Old 10-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #415
snorris49
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekatiel View Post
Bumping for any updates on Udi-gate. Yes, I've named the problem . Anyone seen egg and nut free bread options lately??! --Katie
lol Udi-Gate...that's a great name for it. Gonna have to remember that

From the chefs I've talked to recently, Udi's is on permanent contract (whatever that means in terms of permanent) but that they are incorporating some other brands. I haven't seen Ener-G yet, but I thought I read about some others getting them. I do know that the rolls at some locations are now GNI Brand and they also have egg in them.

Sorry I can't help anymore!

Check out my Blog!:
http://glutenfreedairyfreewdw.blogspot.com/

snorris49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #416
nfceagles
Mouseketeer

Katie- It's not a lot, but I think the regular hamburger and hot dog buns are egg and nut free. I thought they were shipped in rather than made at the Disney bakery like the other rolls and buns that aren't nut safe. We haven't had them in the past because they contain milk, but we do baked milk now so I'm hoping we can get burgers and dogs on them.
nfceagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #417
valree
Mouseketeer

Does anyone have feedback on eating at the F&W festival (specifically gluten free)? I've only seen one thread so far. Has anybody else eaten there yet? I'm going for the final weekend, and I'd love to hear if Disney's "unofficial even though we posted it on our blog" gluten fee map was accurate.
valree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:52 PM   #418
alisaaaaaaa
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by valree
Does anyone have feedback on eating at the F&W festival (specifically gluten free)? I've only seen one thread so far. Has anybody else eaten there yet? I'm going for the final weekend, and I'd love to hear if Disney's "unofficial even though we posted it on our blog" gluten fee map was accurate.
I've had the corn arepas from the Florida stand and the lettuce wrap from South Korea without any problems. Can't judge on the rest of the list though.
alisaaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:14 AM   #419
snorris49
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by valree View Post
I've been to the Florida booth with success, but not any others. I have heard some first hand reports from friends who used the list at other booths and they have been ok so far.

Check out my Blog!:
http://glutenfreedairyfreewdw.blogspot.com/

snorris49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:31 AM   #420
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Just got back on Sunday. I'm gluten/egg/dairy/tomato/peanut free. Mine are ingestion allergies and not Celiac so I'm not sensitive to cross contamination, but can get sick or feel icky if I eat something.

I had the lettuce wrap at South Korea, the shrimp on the barbie from Australia and the kielbasa only from Poland. Honestly, the only time I got sick the whole trip was after lunch at Catina La De San Angel (they apparently use tomato in their pulled chicken)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: