Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #16
bettymae1121
sure. fine. whatever.

Our trick is to buy (yes buy!) a bottle of water on our first day and just keep refilling it, after a fey days if it's getting icky we just buy another. Cheaper than buying one each time we're thristy but if we lose the bottle it's not a big deal either. Also keeps the luggage light come to/going back home.

While I liked the dining plan when we used it last year with Free Dining (it was the only discount available to us) if there wasn't a Free Dinning offer I wouldn't get the plan. DH and I would rather split an app and get two entrees rather thant each get and entree and desert. I also don't want to worry about what is a 1 vs. 2 credit restaurant. I don't know if it would save us money, but not doing the dining plan I think gives us better flexibility. But the plan still worked ok for us, I'd use the snack credit for breakfast (DH isn't hungry in the mornings) and I'd eat it while waiting for the bus. Lunch would be QS and dinner we'd do TS.

For sure I'd skip the hopping pass, espeically for a week long trip. Also we don't bother getting a park pass for our arrival day, by the time our flight gets in and we're at the resort, 2/3 of the day is shot. We relax at the hotel or go to DTD for the night, then turn in early to get an early start the next morning.

Additionally we will only get a park pass for our last day if our flight is in the evening. Assuming we're packed and ready to go we can stay at a park until after lunch and still make our flight. But sometimes we get a morning or early afternoon flight back so a park pass is a waste. So depending on your flight arrival/departure times you may be able to shave 2 days off your passes.

bettymae1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #17
cjlvsccm
DIS Veteran

All great suggestions so far. I'll add to check out the DisneyStore.com for shirts and souvenirs before you go! Through this Sunday you can use promo code PARKFREE for free shipping, and there is currently a sale on thermal tees! If you're not ready to buy right now, sign up for their email notices of sales and promos.

We really enjoyed POFQ, have a great trip!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dec'12/Jan'13, NYE at AoA!!!! ... Apr/May '12, DREAM! ... Nov '11, POR ... Jan '11, CSR ... Nov '10, POFQ ... May '10, POFQ & ... Nov '09, after seeing STS-129 launch!!!! ... June '09, POP ... Nov/Dec '08, ASMu ... Oct '06, POP ... Aug '00, FREE trip (friend's radio prize!!), stayed offsite ... Aug '89 daytrip
cjlvsccm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #18
SamiGage
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlvsccm View Post
All great suggestions so far. I'll add to check out the DisneyStore.com for shirts and souvenirs before you go! Through this Sunday you can use promo code PARKFREE for free shipping, and there is currently a sale on thermal tees! If you're not ready to buy right now, sign up for their email notices of sales and promos.

We really enjoyed POFQ, have a great trip!
This is so funny- I am on DisneyStore.com right now, no joke! I got a tee, a thermal, and a fleece for me and a fleece and a t for my boyfriend to put away for Christmas. I am using the code you gave me and I logged in through ebates so I'll get another 3% back. Every little bit helps!
SamiGage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #19
curseofcurves
Mouseketeer

If you are considering signing up for the Disney Visa, look around for sign up offers first. You won't have much time to build up many reward points before you go, but if you found an offer for a $100 GC or something for signing up it may be worth it. (I got a $200 Disney GC for signing up last year.)

Personally, I would opt for the brita bottles or something similar. The tap water in the Disney parks has a bad taste to me and those would help. Some people don't mind the taste, though, so it's personal preference.

Also IMO, my BF and I find the best deal to be: using a room only or AAA discount for the rooms, buying tickets from Undercover Tourist with the discount you get in the Mousesavers newsletter, and paying for food out of pocket when we want it. I also would get rid the park hoppers. When we did 6 days, we did each park once then picked our two favorites to do again. The dining plan is really up to your personal preferences and the best way to find out whether it will be good for you is to check out the menus on allears and add up all your prices. It's all very subjective based on your appetites(We find portions quite big across the board and often share a meal+side/dessert), which places you really just want to try, whether you want to take time from the parks to go to a sit down restaurant, etc.

I would do a comparison between your current package (room, dining, tickets + tips for dining) vs. (UT tickets with mousesavers discount, room only discount, buying meals out of pocket).

Good resources to use would be: Mousesavers website - Will give you ticket prices using the discount from UT. Will also give you an idea on what room/package discounts will become available for your dates based on last few years. Allears gives you an idea on prices for food and menu items so you can decide where and possibly how often you want to eat.
December 2012 - Holiday time at Disney World
curseofcurves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #20
rebeccalb10
Mouseketeer

I could be wrong but I don't think the QS distinguishes between Adult & Child. Don't waste them on the Kid's meals.
rebeccalb10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #21
CluelessDisFan
DIS Veteran

Keep an eye on the specials. Last fall sometime they extended free dining thru January. And the french quarter rooms go fast during free dining. It is a good choice because you rarely have to share a bus with another resort. In January we found the boat service to dtd to be a lot slower and sparse then other times of the year.
The cinnamon rolls are big enough to share and are only 1 snack credit.
Check out the other resorts and take some time to explore them before or after your dining reservations, there are some romantic locations. My fav is sunset point for either the electric water pageant or wishes fireworks.
Enjoy! Hope this helps!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: