Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
ElenaRN
Mouseketeer

Kids meals at CS restaurants?

I'm looking for some info on what kinds of kids meals are available and the counter service restaurants around WDW.

When we were there last year DD was still nursing and only eating a bit of our food. When we go next week, she will be 20 months and she has a ferocious appetite.

I'm curious to know if the kids meals are relatively healthy. I don't usually give her anything fried including chicken fingers and like to make sure she has a fruit or veggie with each meal.

I don't mind carrying in food for her. Just would like to plan for it ahead of time if it's necesssary.

Thanks
Old 09-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
hivemama
Mouseketeer

Www.allears.net has menus for every restaurant at WDW. Look under dining.

DH Me DS9 DD8 DD6 DS5
hivemama is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
Woodmnky
DIS Veteran

Take a look at the menus, but you may come the same conclusion that I did which was that most of the meals offered are not what I prefer to feed my 21 month old son.

I will be bringing most of DS's food with us. DS reminded me today of how much he loves those organic pureed food/veggie packages that he can squeeze himself. I plan to stock up on these and other healthier options to bring with us. DS will still share from our plates, but at least this will help ensure that I don't need to constantly spend $6 to buy him junk.
Woodmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
Ava
DIS Veteran

Plan on bringing in food for her. Most of the kids meals come with relatively healthy sides - carrot sticks, apple slices, and grapes are most common - but the kid's entrees are pretty much just chicken nuggets, burgers, pizza, pb&j, mac & cheese, grilled cheese. TS restaurants usually have better options on the kids menus, but at CS those handful of options are pretty much it. When DD was just turned 2, she mostly shared from our plates (there were 5 adults, so lots of people to share with her). A couple times we got her a kids pizza or grilled cheese, but the rest of the stuff we wouldn't feed her.

ETA: DD probably did most of her eating on that trip in the stroller while we were walking around the parks. It was hard for her to sit and concentrate on eating at the restaurants; a lot of them have so much "entertainment" going on, it's hard for little ones to focus on their food.

Sept 2014 Trip Report - In Progress

1983 (age 3): Buena Vista Palace 1988: Fort Wilderness Cabin 1991: Offsite 1997: All-Star Music 2002: All-Star Music 2004: All-Star Movies
April 2006: All-Star Music May 2011: POP Century Sept 2014: Caribbean Beach Aug 2015: Art of Animation, Lion King Suite

Ava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
Missy13d69
DIS Veteran

As a couple of the PPs mentioned, reading the menus is your best bet. A lot of the places do have a very limited and crappy children's selection, but the adult menu usually has some healthy options and the portion sizes are plenty big enough to share. One place for instance, has a half rotisserie chicken with vegetables as a meal. Half a chicken, is insane. I could share that with both of my little ones, and all of us have plenty to eat. You can read menus and reviews right here on the DIS, but I prefer the Allears menus, they are more organized and sometimes more up to date.

Missy13d69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
ElenaRN
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone!
I already have my veggie/fruit pouches packed as snacks!
Going to check out the menus on allears.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

Easy to share your meals with your little one, Not sure my DS5 ate even one kids meal last trip. He shared with me and we were fine! I would bring a few of healthy snacks type things like the fruit pouches but there are healthy choices everywhere, you just have to look for them!
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #8
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

MK has the liberty market that has great fresh fruit and baked potatoes sometimes baked sweet potatoes. Columbia Harbor House has steamed broccoli.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #9
mommiemade
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennylyn_b View Post
MK has the liberty market that has great fresh fruit and baked potatoes sometimes baked sweet potatoes. Columbia Harbor House has steamed broccoli.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
OOH I did not know they had baked sweet potato! We will have to check that out!!!!
mommiemade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
msmama
DIS Veteran

There are enough places, I think, that kids can eat relatively healthy. And I never needed to carry snacks because he never finished his sides so that became snacks for later (though we were both sick of grapes and carrot sticks by the end).

Our last trip I think we both (my son and I) had burgers once and pizza once. Most places have at least one "non-standard" kids meal, I found.

(Of course when you eat at a place like Casey's, everyone has a hot dog so I don't know if that counts).

msmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: