Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #91
20yBWDW
Mouseketeer

What's the irony?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
Irony!!!

Many of us did not buy into the "consumerism as a basis for a superiority complex" and lived our life frugally. We still live our life the same way and now our way is helping us to weather the current economic situation.
I am clarifying where I personally fall to proactively address the people who assume my viewpoint is defensiveness. We have a high income and have always been frugal, because I was raised to be that way for purely selfish reasons--to protect my future and alleviate stress. I do not see it as a moral issue or a better way to be, just the lifestyle I am personally comfortable with. I admit to curiosity about how others manage to afford a more luxurious lifestyle. But I cannot agree with the idea of going a few steps beyond that curiosity to make a value judgment on the individual, and attribute it to lower morals, values, priorities, financial sense, or intelligence.

Being frugal is a choice. Not a badge of honor, or something to feel superior about.
20yBWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:45 AM   #92
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

I think that those that have the choice to live frugal have a hard time seeing it from the side of those that have very little.

Yes, many of the things some buy is simply a status symbol; much like carrying the iphone that is disconnected.

For those that have so little, when they do get some money; they want the "nice" things that they think others have. They don't want to "look" as though they scrimp and save. They want that expensive pair of jeans or that iphone or that expensive purse or even that Escalade or those nails that everyone can see. Follow that Escalade home and you may find little more than a run-down 3 room house.

The priorities are wrong, I agree, but you have to live in that place to understand it.

Many can say "I grew up poor and it made me work harder to afford what I have". And that is great that it had that affect on you. It doesn't on everyone. Some just don't see a way out. Or they make the same choices their parents made and continue the circle. Doesn't mean they don't WANT out, just that they don't see a way out. There has to be that person that shows them how they can get out and so many do not have parents that can show them that way.

For so many that people assume are lying or tricking the system to get assistance because of the car they see them drive or the clothes they have on; don't realize that they do, in fact, meet the income requirements to get that assistance, they are just spending every dime they have to make those car payments or pay for those clothes or one whole paycheck just pays for that iphone.

Do I think its all ok? No. But, as long as they do meet those requirements and they CHOOSE to spend what little money they have left on that car note, what can be done about it?

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #93
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

I am so amazed at how much they charge for cell phone plans now. They think of some new charge you have to pay for and they increase the rates way more than inflation.

While cell phones may not be a necessity, it certainly gives me peace of mind when I am trying to locate my family.

I do not pay more for our cell phones per month than groceries, but the cell phone bill is ridiculously high - higher than our electricity bill was before we got solar and runs about the same as our internet/cable/landline bundle.

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #94
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellie16 View Post
I am so amazed at how much they charge for cell phone plans now. They think of some new charge you have to pay for and they increase the rates way more than inflation.

While cell phones may not be a necessity, it certainly gives me peace of mind when I am trying to locate my family.

I do not pay more for our cell phones per month than groceries, but the cell phone bill is ridiculously high - higher than our electricity bill was before we got solar and runs about the same as our internet/cable/landline bundle.
Those new charges or changes in service plans can be so frustrating!

DH is required to have a cell phone for his job. He drives a truck so he is all over the country. The service provider we have has the best service in that no matter where he is (except for a couple of exceptions) he can get a call in or out. He has to have a nationwide plan. The only way to get unlimited nationwide coverage was to also get unlimited text, picture messaging, etc. The man has never sent a text in his life!! Not even sure he would know how! I have tried to send him one just for him to read, no go. But we still pay for it.

NOW, our provider has been purchased by another company. His plan was grandfathered in. If/when he gets a new phone, he will not be able to get that same plan, he will have to go to a plan that requires at least 50% of his calls come from his service area. There is no way to make sure that happens. Guess he will be duct taping that phone until the last minute he can use it!

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #95
danield
Earning My Ears

Don't always blame consumer for their financial woes. Marketing strategists, psychiatrist, focus group, target audience, etc are all used to get you to spend more. All big companies are using psychological pricing and assorted methods to the point where the want and the need is the same thing to you.

Some people are ill-equipped to deal and understand this process. Companies are spending billions to understand our tought process and spending habit, be it Disney, Ford or MacDonald.
danield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #96
weezyree
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
I'd be interested in a source for that study, please.
I, too would be interested in that study and its source. We can't believe EVERYTHING we read. Sure, some people put their priorities backwards and pay more for phones than necessities; but if I want to spend my money on a smart phone, which has streamlined a lot of things in my own life, then I will. My bills are paid, we work hard for our money, we save money, take care of our kids, serve our country, enjoy a yearly Disney vacation and we are nearly in the 30% tax bracket. I think we have earned (not deserved) the right to have whatever we like since we are not living OFF the government; but rather our own hard work and our own money.

Why is this even an issue and who really cares??

WDW-Apr 02-Camp Wilderness, Apr 08; Port Orleans, Aug 09-Saratoga Springs; Jun 11-Saratoga Springs; Dec 11-Saratoga Springs (Christmas); Mar 12-Saratoga Springs (DD and DSin-law honeymoon); Jun 12-Saratoga Springs; RECON mission to Aulani, Hawaii-Sep 12; Dec 12-Saratoga Springs (Christmas)
DLR-Aug 09-Paradise Pier; Mar 10-Park visit only; Oct 11-Downtown Disney visit only
DCL-Aug 03 (4 nite), Apr 08 (4 nite), Aug 09 (7 nite), Jan 10 (3 nite), Jun 12 (4 nite), ...2013 NINE NIGHT MEDITERRANEAN!!!
DVC members since Apr 08-SSR and AKKV
DH , Me , DD22 , DSin-law26 and DD15 : FIRST GRANDSON DAunt :
PROUD ARMY FAMILY OF THREE!!!
weezyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #97
1stvisit0909
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27

Per household *with credit card debt*. That's a pretty important qualifier, since 28% of American households don't have any credit cards at all and only 40% report carrying an unpaid balance from month to month (according to the same source). But the shock value of the average number is greatly diminished if you put it in context and realize it applies only to about 1/3 of American households.
Dontcha just love the way "news" spins stats stuff to "everyone"

Coronado Springs 2014 PTR
Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time TR POFQ 2012 OKW 09

Last edited by 1stvisit0909; 09-20-2012 at 10:04 PM.
1stvisit0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #98
1stvisit0909
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahjade

That's not the case any more in most states - each month, the cash is loaded onto electronic benefit transfer (EBT) cards -people can then use the cards either as debit cards at a point of sale or as direct withdrawal cards at any ATM for whatever they want to buy.
And people here take the other person shopping and they give cash to the card holder.

Coronado Springs 2014 PTR
Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time TR POFQ 2012 OKW 09
1stvisit0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:17 AM   #99
dawnball
bouncie bouncie...
You don't want the camels to spit on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPete View Post
Here's an oddity about teenagers and cell phones: I've seen kids flashing cell phones that have no service connected to them. Cell phones are the ultimate status symbol these days, and teens who don't have them will carry around someone else's old phone (or their own phone that's been disconnected for lack of payment) just for the look.
*shrug* My eight year old has two smart phones with no service connected to them. She doesn't take them to school, but does take them to random places she might be at loose ends (dinner, the train, any shopping she considers boring - which is most of it). It's a remarkably useful device, either with open wifi or just what you can store on it. It's a book, it's a game system, it's a paper and pencil, it's your address book, it's a slew of useful electronic tools. And it fits in a pocket and weighs less than six ounces. A fashion thing? Not so much.

As for the original post - We spend more on cell phones than we do on:
Utilities (electric, gas and water combined. They're about $50-$100/month, depending on the time of year)
Cable TV ($0)
car payment ($0)
home internet (around $50/month again)
home phone line ($0)

However, we still spend less on our cell phone bills annually than we:
donated last year to education initiatives in our community.
spend on after school activities.
spend on summer camp.
spend at the laundromat.
spend on transit/funding our bicycling habits.

People's expenses vary. What people choose to spend money on varies, and it's no more my business what they spend money on than it is anyone else's business to dictate what I spend my money on.
dawnball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:50 AM   #100
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

We spend more on cell phones than on electricity in the winter but way more on electricity in the summer than virtually anything else. The heat here sees to that. However we don't have a land line.

Our food purchases don't suffer because of this. I wouldn't allow it. I can see why some who have less would be tempted to go for the bigger and better at times though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: