Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 03:48 AM   #1
cheryl.UK
DIS Veteran

suggestions needed for our Orlando to Boston trip

OK so we are starting to plan next years's trip.

We are hopiong to go from around the 7th July to 7th August.

We will spend 12 nights at SSR then start the road trip to Boston.

We want to spend at least 3 nights in NY and 7 in the Boston area

But where ti visit en route? (we are in no rush) And where to visit around Boston?
95 I Drive, 95/96 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 96 All Star Sports, 99/00 Courtyard by Marriott, 2001 Villa, 2001 DLP Hotel New York, 2003 One Big Blow Out! 5 weeks of Disney and a drive up to New Orleans , 2005 Wyndham Palace Hotel and Spa , 2005 DLP Sequoia Lodge, ,2006 Hong Kong Disney , 2006 Buena Vista Palace and Poly 2009 SSR, Key West, Miami, Royal Pacific Resort, Polynesian, 2010 SSR, RPR, BLT and the Poly!!!! 2012 SSR,RP, Miami, GF and BLT, 2013 SSR, 2014 OKW
cheryl.UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:09 AM   #2
Stitch's Greatest Fa
DIS Veteran

Never been to NY but loved Boston - the science museum, aquarium, duck tours and faneuil Hall all worth a visit. Used a "Charlie" card in Boston - bit like a London Oyster card and the underground system is fab. We stayed at a beautiful Hyatt across the water with water taxis and underground close by - near to the airport with own airport shuttle service. ALso don't know how far you are going but when we went it was Easter and we drove to Killington, Vermont for skiing - there were some gorgeous villages around that area, I would love to go back again in Summer/Fall and see them.

1995 1st time - Kissimee Villas 1997 Kissimmee Villas 2002 Kissimmee Villas 2004 - 1st time on site Polynesian Honeymoon 2005 Port Orleans Riverside 2006 Pop Century 2007 POFQ 2008 Coronado Springs/Wilderness Lodge 2009 Beach Club 2010 AKL/CR/SSR2011 Hilton Parc Soleil2013 Wilderness Lodge 2014 Hilton Parc Soleil
Stitch's Greatest Fa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
cheryl.UK
DIS Veteran

Thank you Stitch'e GF! We will be going in summer, so no skiing But we are maybe going to get as far as providence and we laos want to visit the coastal area
95 I Drive, 95/96 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 96 All Star Sports, 99/00 Courtyard by Marriott, 2001 Villa, 2001 DLP Hotel New York, 2003 One Big Blow Out! 5 weeks of Disney and a drive up to New Orleans , 2005 Wyndham Palace Hotel and Spa , 2005 DLP Sequoia Lodge, ,2006 Hong Kong Disney , 2006 Buena Vista Palace and Poly 2009 SSR, Key West, Miami, Royal Pacific Resort, Polynesian, 2010 SSR, RPR, BLT and the Poly!!!! 2012 SSR,RP, Miami, GF and BLT, 2013 SSR, 2014 OKW
Old 09-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Washington DC - it's right on the way...lots to see there..
Old 09-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

We've done washington DC and enjoyed it.

Also enjoyed Philadelphia and Boston.

As you are driving through Virginia maybe stop at a civil war battlefield if you are into history (we did a tour of them one year as DH like millitary history)

St Augustine in florida as you head north?

We've done several road trip type holidays in US. I used to get the virgin brochure with fly drives in and titan tours (few more companies do them aswell) gives you an idea of key places to visit and what is driveable in a day.

Happy planning.
20+ trips to USA 1997 onwards including All Star Movies Dec 2009 with DDP, OKW Oct 2010 with DDP, Floridays Resort Oct 2011, Bahama Bay resort May 2012, OKW Oct 2012 with DxDDP, All Star Movies Oct 2013 with DDP, Cabana bay and Universal Oct 2014

DH 40 Me 39 DD 8

Perfectly Princess Tea Party Review Disney Dining 2010 Review
Dining on a budget - $100 a day with coupons All new Dining on a Budget of $100 May 2012
Dixons go Deluxe Oct/Nov 12
dixonsontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
Kath2003
DIS Veteran

I love New York and Washington DC. New York is one of my favourite cities of all time. Washington DC isn't as nice to walk around but once you're there, all of the museums etc. are free. Boston was meh. The duck tours are fun and it's a pretty city but a couple of days there was plenty.

If you want to see some real America, try spending a few days in the southern states. Totally different from the North East and the tourist-trap of Florida.
Kath2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #7
wdwfan101
MVMCP veteran

Some suggestions:

Hilton Head, South Carolina
Biltmore Estate, Asheville, North Carolina
Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.
Lincoln Memorial, Washington, D.C.
Baltimore Aquarium, Baltimore, Maryland
Gettysburg National Military Park, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
Longwood Gardens, Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
National Constitution Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Mystic Seaport, Mystic, Connecticut
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Fenway Park, Boston, Massachusetts

Swan Dec 11
Sheraton Vistana Apr 13 Mar/Apr 12 11 10 09 08 07 06 05 Sheraton Vistana Villages Dec 13 Nov 12 Oct 11 10 09 Dec 08 06 Gaylord Palms June 08 Renaissance at SeaWorld June 07 Swan Sept 06 Wyndham Palace Dec 03 Contemporary Aug 01
wdwfan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:46 AM   #8
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

baltimore is ok, but i wouldn't waste my precious time there..
DC is much more interesting..

(i lived in baltimore for 4 years - i went to Johns Hopkins University).

lets see - it's not really on your way, but Great Smoky Mountains National Park is one of the nicest national parks. I spent a lot of time there growing up.
But it's definitely out of your way. But if you're a hiker, all of the national parks are amazing and the rangers are fantastic.
no matter what national park you go to, there are ranger walks and ranger lectures.
but again, only if you're a nature nut like we are

actually, when you're in washington DC, you'll encounter national park service rangers - they're at all the national sites. You'll recognize them by their hats!!! (they look like smokey the bear)
Old 09-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
WiganTony
DIS Veteran

Last year, we visited NY, Southern Maine and Boston.

Really enjoyed NY (much more than I expected) during our 6 days there - loads to do, but if you only have three days, you may have to be a bit "choosy" about which attractions/landmarks you visit. Note that if planning to visit the SoL and walk up to the Crown, you will need to book tickets in advance (we booked around 4 months ahead).

We used the train (Metro North) to leave NY to get to Stamforf (CT) where we picked up a rental car to drive to Ogunquit (about 75 miles north of Boston) for 4 nights which is a seaside town very much like a British seaside resort (think West Country or Wales). All three of us were totally surpised by this location and would thoroughly recommend it.

Then drove back to Boston for 3 nights (turned our car in to avoid the heavy parking charges!!). Stayed at the Sheraton in Back Bay which was right by the Prudential Centre and a short stroll from some excellent restaurants on Boyleston Street. We did the Boston Ducks tour, went up the Prudential Skywalk, visited the Aquarium, and spent almost a full day at the science museum. Also visited Boston Common and walked part of the Freedom Trail.

We then had a one-way car rental back to JFK before our daytime flight back to the UK.

2014 July/August - RPR and OKW - again!!
2013 July/August - NY, LA and San Diego
2012 August - OKW
2011 August - No Disney NY and Boston
2010 July/August - RPR and OKW
2009 Easter - Springhill Suites LBV & Cruise
2008 August - Marriott Residence Seaworld.
2007 August - CBR/Marriott Clearwater/Springhill Suites LBV
2005 August - Comfort Suites Kissimmee
Longer than I care to remember - 3 lads and their car touring Florida!!
WiganTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:54 AM   #10
cheryl.UK
DIS Veteran

Wow!

Thanks for all the help guys.

Washington hadn't occured to me but it's now on the list as is Cape Cod and Mystic. The battlefields aren't my thing but DH is in the military so no doubt that will be on his list.

Thanks for the Heads up on the SOL.

Would love to get some hiking into the schedule but it would mean taking extra luggage.(DH never hikes lightweght!!!!) I'm trying to keep bags to a minimum as I really want to hire a convertable. There will just be the two of us so we can sling one bag on the back seat when we are on the move.

Hilton Head is also on our list now, as is Charleston.

I've bought a new road atlas and I.m busy on the planning of the route. I'm not going to book every hotel in advance just the main ones (Disney, Hilton Head, NY, Cape Cod, Washington and Boston . I 'll sort the rest over the internet a day in advance. We are aiming to drive every other day at the most.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:28 AM   #11
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

check out the travel books by what's his name...hmmm...
what is his name...
an american expat living in the UK...he also wrote a brief history of nearly everything or something like that...

what's his name...off to google..

oh wait....i just remembered.....is it bill bryce?

off to google...

ah,...close....Bill Bryson..

so he has some travel books in america....the very first one i read by him was The Lost Continent - about a road trip that he took around america....very entertaining and interesting, although it's about 20 or 30 years old in terms of when he took the trip..

http://www.billbryson.co.uk/books_lostcontinent.html
Old 09-19-2012, 05:23 AM   #12
neydis
Earning My Ears

Love Boston we drove from Canada through Vermont. We have driven from DW to Hilton Head on many occasions as we love Disneys Hilton head resort. We like Charleston but prefer Savannah even used the name as my daughters middle name.
neydis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:59 AM   #13
rex008
Mouseketeer

We did a Boston to DC road trip a few years ago and enjoyed Colonial Williamsburg as an interesting non-city stop:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonial_Williamsburg
rex008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #14
sharon78
DIS Veteran

Hello, fellow GREEN DAY fan!!!

We went to Boston in January this year to see American Idiot, it was AWESOME.
After we booked it they then announced they we're bringing the tour to the UK so we booked again for December in London

Boston was not on my "To Do" list but when I found out American Idiot was playing there we priced it up for 4 nights, 5 days and got a right bargain for the four of us. It was our girls christmas present, they we're 16 & 14 at the time and they we're soooo excited, they did'nt even know about Boston let alone American idiot.
Boston is a really lovely place so much to see and do. We managed to fill our five days, no problem.
We had a five day trollytour pass and used that to get around, Fenway park is also a good tour as well as the Freedom Trail tour.
If you want to know more about Boston let me know.
Sharon
Old 09-21-2012, 12:44 AM   #15
JeanfromBNA
"Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming!"

Savannah, Georgia is unique.

1995 Disney Institute Treehouses 2005 Wilderness Lodge 2007 Yacht Club 2008 Coronado Springs 2008 Beach Club 2009 Grand Floridian 2009 Disney Wonder
2009 Disney Wonder 2009 Polynesian Resort 2011 Coronado Springs 2011 Portofino Bay Hotel UO 2012 Old Key West October, 2012, Proud new DVC AKL Kidani owners!May, 2013 Disney DreamSeptember, 2013 AulaniMarch, 2014 BWV October, 2014 AKV
JeanfromBNA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: