Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #76
tajz90
Mama D
 
tajz90's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,265

Quote:
Originally Posted by dato63

I had booked our parking back in July - prepaid. Mine was cancelled. The email stated that they were not going to be able to accomodate Disney cruises for certain dates. I was on cruise critic gulf ports board to get other ideas of what to do - and some people on the Princess cruises were posting that they had been cancelled after the fact too.

One person claimed to ask Galveston Park N Cruise about it - and were told it had to do with overlapping dates, and demand with 5 ships now sailing out of there. They would not be accepting Disney or Princess Cruise bookings starting November due to the increased demand. Again, this is 2nd hand information that was shared - I didn't get it directly from the parking lot.

We decided to just drive down the night before -and booked a cruise package at the Galvez.

My DDs love Moody Gardens. And we all enjoy Bubba Gumps, haven't been to the one in Galveston yet - but we are planning dinner there the night before our cruise. It looks like Pleasure Pier is within walking distance of our hotel.
Bubbas in Galveston is yummy. It's a neat one too.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #77
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun
 
Gina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pearland/Friendswood, TX
Posts: 4,842

Quote:
Originally Posted by dato63 View Post
One person claimed to ask Galveston Park N Cruise about it - and were told it had to do with overlapping dates, and demand with 5 ships now sailing out of there. They would not be accepting Disney or Princess Cruise bookings starting November due to the increased demand. Again, this is 2nd hand information that was shared - I didn't get it directly from the parking lot.


That was me, and I got the info directly from Galveston Park & Cruise. In what has to be the most bone-headed business move ever, they have not only said flat-out that they will only be parking for Carnival and Royal Caribbean and not Disney or Princess. And instead of honoring the reservations that people were already holding - prepaid, mind you! - they just canceled them.

There are so many other places to park... I used to love them, but wouldn't touch them with a 10-foot pole now even if I were sailing on Carnival or RCI.

I spoke with the manager, Tom, at Discount Cruise Parking, and he said they absolutely were accepting reservations for any and every cruise line. He was very nice, and pretty shocked himself that Park & Cruise was doing that. I haven't used them before, but they sound very nice. Bathrooms, a deli, a convenience store, indoor seating. He also gave me a code for an additional $5 off -- I just spoke with him again now to ask him if it was alright if I shared the code, and he said "Absolutely!" The promo code is 8115. Really nice guy, I feel comfortable with my reservation there.



-gina-
__________________
WDW many times
Navigator of the Seas ~ 2/2014 - Disney Magic ~ '02, '03, '04, '08, '13 - Grand Princess ~ '06 - Voyager of the Seas ~ '10- Mariner of the Seas ~ '12
Next up: Navigator of the Seas ~ 2/8/15


Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #78
dato63
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Deep in the heart of TX
Posts: 1,574

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
That was me, and I got the info directly from Galveston Park & Cruise. In what has to be the most bone-headed business move ever, they have not only said flat-out that they will only be parking for Carnival and Royal Caribbean and not Disney or Princess. And instead of honoring the reservations that people were already holding - prepaid, mind you! - they just canceled them.

There are so many other places to park... I used to love them, but wouldn't touch them with a 10-foot pole now even if I were sailing on Carnival or RCI.

I spoke with the manager, Tom, at Discount Cruise Parking, and he said they absolutely were accepting reservations for any and every cruise line. He was very nice, and pretty shocked himself that Park & Cruise was doing that. I haven't used them before, but they sound very nice. Bathrooms, a deli, a convenience store, indoor seating. He also gave me a code for an additional $5 off -- I just spoke with him again now to ask him if it was alright if I shared the code, and he said "Absolutely!" The promo code is 8115. Really nice guy, I feel comfortable with my reservation there.



-gina-
Good to see you here too. :D

We have a CCL Cruise out of Galveston next year - and I have to say I am not planning on parking there. It may be convenient, but there are too many choices to take a chance. I'll have to look up Discount Cruise Parking for next year - thank you for sharing the information. For now - we'll enjoy The Galvez and exploring Pleasure Pier.
__________________
John Deb Madison (10) and Makayla (10)
dato63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #79
Chee Chick
DIS Veteran
 
Chee Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 682

A panicked a bit when I read that Galveston Cruise and Park was canceling reservations and booked at EZ Cruise N' Park. They were gladly taking reservations. A few days later DH and I decided to drive in the night before. I ended up booking a room at the Holiday Inn on the Beach which offers free shuttle and parking. I called and cancelled my parking reservation with no problems (just a $5 penalty which I knew about beforehand).

I probably would have booked the Hotel Galvez if we were spending more time in Galveston before the cruise. But we will get in late the night before the cruise, so I couldn't justify the cost difference.
__________________
DH, Me, DS(9), DD(4)
Summer 1981, July 1988, Dec 1993, Oct 1994, Aug 1996 - WDW offsite
Sept 2008 - BC; April 2009 - WL; Nov 2012 - DCL Magic; June 2014 - POR/DCL Fantasy
Chee Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #80
cruisemaniac2011
Earning My Ears
 
cruisemaniac2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Alaska
Posts: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmiebr80 View Post
I called them and confirmed that they do have parking and a shuttle. I don't know if it's every weekend, but our cruise weekend, it was a minimum 2 night stay in order to book a room. I kept checking for check in Friday and check out Saturday and it shows no rooms available. But If I searched 2 days, rooms were available. Luckily, last month my dh did a work trip that sent us over into Hilton Diamond status and they waived the 2 night for us because of that.
Thanks! I was able to book a room through a travel agency but it didn't say anything about free parking or a shuttle.
cruisemaniac2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #81
Jgasink
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 76

scooter rental?

ok gang, anyone know if there is a scooter rental company servicing the terminal?

thanks

John
Jgasink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #82
CeCeGarrett
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 89

Is Gaidos as wonderful as it used to be? I haven't been to Galveston in 7 years... we moved away from our home in Texas when Hubs started preaching. Oh MAN I miss Galveston. It's truly a town that is a balm for the soul, IMO.
CeCeGarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #83
ljknecht570
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 33

Am I Crazy?

We are flying in on Friday night to Houston. There are 31 of us all coming in at different times so we need to stay where there is an airport shuttle. I have arranged a shuttle to pick everyone up on Saturday morning and take them to the port. Me, DH and two children are staying in Houston Saturday m0orning for some a work conference my husband has to attend. We will be done by 1:00-1:30 and then we have rented a oneway rental through enterprise. (Rate was $80 for oneway. I realize they close at Noon, but they said I could drop off the car and they have a key box to put the keys in. They will get it Monday morning. Then we need to take a taxi to the terminal. I know we are pushing it close on time--but it is something he needs to do. Should I have DH husband drop us and luggage off at terminal or should I we go to enterprise and all of us take the taxi?
ljknecht570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #84
Piper
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 2,888

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljknecht570 View Post
We are flying in on Friday night to Houston. There are 31 of us all coming in at different times so we need to stay where there is an airport shuttle. I have arranged a shuttle to pick everyone up on Saturday morning and take them to the port. Me, DH and two children are staying in Houston Saturday m0orning for some a work conference my husband has to attend. We will be done by 1:00-1:30 and then we have rented a oneway rental through enterprise. (Rate was $80 for oneway. I realize they close at Noon, but they said I could drop off the car and they have a key box to put the keys in. They will get it Monday morning. Then we need to take a taxi to the terminal. I know we are pushing it close on time--but it is something he needs to do. Should I have DH husband drop us and luggage off at terminal or should I we go to enterprise and all of us take the taxi?
I am afraid that you may not make the ship. Depending on WHERE in Houston you are meeting, it may take 2 or more hours just to get to Galveston. Houston is huge, the freeways are crowded and it is not uncommon for one of them to be closed due to an accident.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #85
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun
 
Gina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pearland/Friendswood, TX
Posts: 4,842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
I am afraid that you may not make the ship. Depending on WHERE in Houston you are meeting, it may take 2 or more hours just to get to Galveston. Houston is huge, the freeways are crowded and it is not uncommon for one of them to be closed due to an accident.

I have to agree with Piper -- that's pretty much a "no way." Even if you're estimating being done by 1-1:30, you have to bank on 2 just to be safe. Then unless the conference is way on the South side of town, you're looking at potentially quite the drive -- and with the construction on 45S, traffic has been even more hellish than normal. If the conference is near Hobby Airport, you need to allow 45 minutes-an hour to get to Galveston. If you're talking about Intercontinental Airport, a good hour and a half.

So it's potentially already 4:30 at that point -- and you have to be on board by 4pm (which might have actually changed to 3:30pm since they recently changed sailaway from 5 to 4:30.) And you haven't even drooped the car off yet and taken a taxi to the terminal. (And Enterprise is nowhere near the terminal.)

All of the above is based on "normal" conditions -- if it's raining, if anyone is playing smash-'em-up on the freeway, anything not optimal, add a bunch more time.

I'm not trying to be a downer, but hubby really needs to finagle his way out of that conference thing if y'all want to make this cruise.
__________________
WDW many times
Navigator of the Seas ~ 2/2014 - Disney Magic ~ '02, '03, '04, '08, '13 - Grand Princess ~ '06 - Voyager of the Seas ~ '10- Mariner of the Seas ~ '12
Next up: Navigator of the Seas ~ 2/8/15


Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #86
ukintheus
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Magnolia, Texas
Posts: 1,262

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljknecht570 View Post
We are flying in on Friday night to Houston. There are 31 of us all coming in at different times so we need to stay where there is an airport shuttle. I have arranged a shuttle to pick everyone up on Saturday morning and take them to the port. Me, DH and two children are staying in Houston Saturday m0orning for some a work conference my husband has to attend. We will be done by 1:00-1:30 and then we have rented a oneway rental through enterprise. (Rate was $80 for oneway. I realize they close at Noon, but they said I could drop off the car and they have a key box to put the keys in. They will get it Monday morning. Then we need to take a taxi to the terminal. I know we are pushing it close on time--but it is something he needs to do. Should I have DH husband drop us and luggage off at terminal or should I we go to enterprise and all of us take the taxi?
Is there anyway you could do a towncar instead of the car rental? If not, I think I would have your DH drop you off first and then take the rental car back. I also have to agree with others that depending on where you are coming from there could be a serious issue with traffic going down to Galveston. I also just wanted to let you know that we are on the Oct 13th sailing and about 3 weeks ago they sent us an email to say that all aboard was now 3:30 pm not 4:00 pm. As Gina said, they changed the sail away time. Don't know if this will apply to your cruise, but just a heads up as it appears to be applying to several.
__________________
Wandering The Gulf on the Wonder - Inaugural Bahamas Cruise Trip Report
Magic Your Way to the Magic Kingdom...another Galveston trip report
Our Magical Trip From The Lone Star State - Oct 13, 2012

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston
ukintheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #87
Brooke3L
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 234

Is there a convenience store with in walking distance from the port?
__________________
Brooke
Brooke Ethan Stunner Manny Kelso Trixi Bama
Brooke3L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #88
mikehn
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,208

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljknecht570 View Post
We are flying in on Friday night to Houston. There are 31 of us all coming in at different times so we need to stay where there is an airport shuttle. I have arranged a shuttle to pick everyone up on Saturday morning and take them to the port. Me, DH and two children are staying in Houston Saturday m0orning for some a work conference my husband has to attend. We will be done by 1:00-1:30 and then we have rented a oneway rental through enterprise. (Rate was $80 for oneway. I realize they close at Noon, but they said I could drop off the car and they have a key box to put the keys in. They will get it Monday morning. Then we need to take a taxi to the terminal. I know we are pushing it close on time--but it is something he needs to do. Should I have DH husband drop us and luggage off at terminal or should I we go to enterprise and all of us take the taxi?
The best solution here is for DH to excuse himself from the conference a little earlier.
mikehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #89
eggroll
eggroll
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeCeGarrett
Is Gaidos as wonderful as it used to be? I haven't been to Galveston in 7 years... we moved away from our home in Texas when Hubs started preaching. Oh MAN I miss Galveston. It's truly a town that is a balm for the soul, IMO.
It's still yummy and had the best Mac and cheese in the world. We were there 3 times this week.

If you want to save I also ate at Casey's and the club sandwich. I have to work in the area off and on.
eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #90
eggroll
eggroll
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke3L
Is there a convenience store with in walking distance from the port?
There are some shops on the strand. It's close to the train Museum. If you walk out of the museum go straight down a block then the left hand side. Beware, it's retarded expensive.
eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: