Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #16
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

We would go back to the hotel as much for a break for the heat and crowds as we would for actual naps. If you have two adults, send one of them to the pull with the children that don't want to nap. Or, don't bother leaving the park.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #17
ghtx
DIS Veteran

I am with the PPs who say that the mid-day break isn't just about naps, it's also about just resting, chilling out, taking a break from the crazy atmosphere of the parks. It recharges everyone, both kids and adults. IMO the "break" where you stay in the park and try to remain calm doesn't quite cut it.

But of course every family is different and should plan accordingly. And getting into and out of the parks for a break is a big pain for bigger families (then again, so is a meltdown caused by exhaustion!). I am sure that you will have a good time no matter what you do
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #18
lucifie
DIS Veteran

Even though this will be our first trip with kids, I've been reading the DIS boards long enough to know not to overplan. We're not super structured people and we're all pretty good at going with the flow. My plan is to pick a few things we really want to do before we go and hit those in the morning and go from there. that way we'll be sure we get to see a few things that we're really interested in and anything else will be a bonus.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #19
ClaireW
Mouseketeer

There are some good ways to take a break without heading back to your own resort for a nap.
We like to take the boat across to Fort Wilderness and take a stroll, sit in the rocking chairs, visit the stables. This trip we went over to Wilderness Lodge and spent a little while relaxing in the lobby, getting lunch, window shopping and then exploring the resort. On the way back we rode the boat back and forth between there and MK twice whilst our DDs took a nap
ClaireW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #20
lan3
Mouseketeer

I went with three 3 year olds (one with special needs) and we didn't nap. We went in February so it wasn't hot and I felt that going back to the hotel was too much hassle. Also, the hours were so short that we didn't have late nights. I went to the park early, stayed at the park all day and went back to the hotel for dinner. We were in bed by 8 each night.
lan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #21
canopynut66
DIS Veteran

your right is huge waste of time running back to resort. we rented a stroller for my cousins 7 yeara old and she had not been in a stroller since she 2 but she did at WDW she would take a nap as well. we would go where it was shady area and we rested as well. can rent them off site so you have 24/7 while there is what we did. and got a double so would be big enough but was more than big enough for her
canopynut66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #22
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canopynut66 View Post
your right is huge waste of time running back to resort. we rented a stroller for my cousins 7 yeara old and she had not been in a stroller since she 2 but she did at WDW she would take a nap as well. we would go where it was shady area and we rested as well. can rent them off site so you have 24/7 while there is what we did. and got a double so would be big enough but was more than big enough for her
Is this for real?
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #23
brockash
DIS Veteran

For us, going back to take naps is totally not worth it, unless you can just hop on a monorail back to your resort or walk...and even then we only do it when there's real long park hours or it's really hot or pouring out. We tried doing the going back for nap thing a few years ago when we were staying at Pop, and the hassle of the bus and the time it took back and forth was just not worth it at all. Really, I think it just made us all more tired and cranky. Having to get the kid out of the stroller and everything else out, folding it up etc. was just a pain to do 4 times a day as oppose to just twice (morning and night). My dd just sleeps in her stroller whenever she's tired and the rest of us can do stuff while 1 person, usually me sits and relaxes with a snack while she sleeps. I was only corralling two kids around going back and forth, I assume it'd be even worse with 4. I'd just stay at the parks the whole day, especially in Jan. It's not hot, shorter hours, you'll be fine. Just plan to have rest times (like sitting to watch a parade or riding the train around or the ppl. mover a few times or watching shows etc. when the kids get tired.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #24
brockash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck View Post
Is this for real?
I don't get it??? I don't find anything unrealistic about the pp post. ??? Is what real?
Old 09-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #25
Gracie09
DIS Veteran

Last time we went the only melt down DD (then 17 months) had was the one day we tried to leave the park for a nap. We plan and napping in the stroller for both DD's.
Gracie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #26
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockash View Post
I don't get it??? I don't find anything unrealistic about the pp post. ??? Is what real?
I think it was the comment about getting a stroller for a seven year old just to be able to commando the parks.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #27
DisneyMom0115
Earning My Ears

I also worry about wasting time going back to the resort just for a nap. We are going in December and are staying at Pop and I think (from what I've seen and read) that it takes some time to get from MK to Pop - and as much as I'd love to get some rest along w/ my DD (2 yrs old) and DH - we would be missing so much valuable time esp since it would be in December (shorter hours)! So here's a link I found on places that you can rest or take a break w/o having to go all the way back to your resort:

go to tips from the disney diva dot com and she has a post on places you can rest/take a break - sorry i can't post links b/c im too new on the post count!

Also, can someone explain what "commando" is? (not the 'naked' meaning, of course! Unless that's what the PP meant
Old 09-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #28
ghtx
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMom0115 View Post
Also, can someone explain what "commando" is? (not the 'naked' meaning, of course! Unless that's what the PP meant
Commando means going straight through all day at the parks, open to close, cramming in as many rides as possible.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #29
Ava
DIS Veteran

It definitely depends on how close your resort is to the park you're in, if going back to the hotel for nap/break is a good choice. We were at POP last trip, and it was a long trek on the bus to get back there from almost everywhere. Usually once we left the park in the afternoons, we were just done for the day because we didn't want to make that trek again. The one time we took DD back to the park after her nap was the night we planned to see Wishes; we let her take a later nap and then headed back to MK after dinner.

Sept 2014 Trip Report - In Progress

1983 (age 3): Buena Vista Palace 1988: Fort Wilderness Cabin 1991: Offsite 1997: All-Star Music 2002: All-Star Music 2004: All-Star Movies
April 2006: All-Star Music May 2011: POP Century Sept 2014: Caribbean Beach Aug 2015: Art of Animation, Lion King Suite

Ava is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #30
kshbrower
Earning My Ears

It's such a trek back to the hotel...is it worth it? Or would it just wear ME out?

This thread has been really helpful to help me think things through! It definitely seems like it depends on when you're going (and what the park hours are at that time of year) and where you're staying.

I am planning a trip in April for a 16 month and almost 3 year old. We opted not to do the park-hopper, as this would force us not to drag the kids from park to park and wear ourselves out. We also decided to pass on most EMH evenings, as the parks are more crowded on these days. We decided we'd rather have less crowds and get the kids in bed at a decent hour than to go back for an afternoon nap and keep them out until midnight. As they get older, I expect this strategy will change as I absolutely LOVE evening magic hours, at MK especially!

The last time we went to Disney (with my son, at 10 months) we did quite a bit of park-hopping and didn't go back to POP for naps. But he slept so easily in his stroller or in the BabyBjorn (even while I rode Pirates). I know I cannot expect it to be so easy with a 16 month old and a 3 year old.

If we were staying at one of the resorts on the lake, I wouldn't hesitate to go back for a nap. To me, the monorail and boats are pretty relaxing in and of themselves and would be a good wind-down for nap-time.

But a bus ride to a value resort?? I am trying to imaging how much time it will actually take to go back for a nap.

Let's look at a day in MK as an example:
The standard park hours are 9am-10pm in April.
No matter which land you are in when you decide it's time for a break, it's likely to be a decent trek back to the front gates (10min), then it's another trek to the value resort bus stops (5min). Then you have to wait. Last time we waited close to 20 minutes quite often for a bus to take us back to POP (let's call it 15min). Then you have to take all your bags out of the strollers, fold them up and load (grr...). Then there's the bus ride (18min). The trek to your room (5min). Wind down (15-30min). Nap (2 hrs). Get up and ready to leave (5min). Then go back (1 hr). That's 5 hours that I'm not having much fun, and only 2 of which I'm really relaxing. Then there's the added risk that at least one of the kids will fall asleep on the trek, and not be sleepy enough to nap once we get there. Or maybe they'll just be so wound up they won't nap when we get there. Or they may throw a fit because we're leaving the park early. It seems like a big gamble to me.

Of course, it's a big gamble to stay in the park too. They may not nap. They may get cranky. But I think this is the gamble I'm more willing to take. At least I didn't wear myself out lugging everything back to the hotel, just to have it backfire. We can find a quiet place to sit and rest for a while. I think my mood will affect the kids' as well and I know I'd never be able to nap if we did go back and I'd get a lot more rest by just taking a break at the park. Worst case scenario, I bet a loop or two in the stroller on the monorail would put them to sleep and it's still more relaxing than going all the way back on the bus.

I'm also thinking about practicing naps with the kids in the stroller at home. Maybe putting my kids in the strollers in the house, lowering the sunshades and then adding some distracting sounds in a distant room. Maybe we can come up with a stroller nap routine to help them settle down. Anyone have any ideas?
kshbrower is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: