Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
Tennor
New to DISboards, not new to DISney

Staying Safe From the Sun - in Disneyland

We've decided that we are going to do it - we're going to go to DL for the first time as parents.

My wife and I have been many many times, even a couple of new years eve trips, so we are pretty experienced Disneyland-goers.

However, this is our first time with a kid, who will be 2 1/2 years old. And she has a special circumstance: she can't be exposed to UV light or the Sun. When we are outside during the day, she wears a special hat with a face shield to protect her. You can see it at Annaliberty.com.

A representative from a foundation that helps kids like her is contacting Disneyland about getting a GAC.

Any tips for how to do DL that way?
Old 09-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennor View Post
We've decided that we are going to do it - we're going to go to DL for the first time as parents.

My wife and I have been many many times, even a couple of new years eve trips, so we are pretty experienced Disneyland-goers.

However, this is our first time with a kid, who will be 2 1/2 years old. And she has a special circumstance: she can't be exposed to UV light or the Sun. When we are outside during the day, she wears a special hat with a face shield to protect her. You can see it at Annaliberty.com.

A representative from a foundation that helps kids like her is contacting Disneyland about getting a GAC.

Any tips for how to do DL that way?
My grandson is very fair and they were able to buy a shirt and pants that blocks UV. He is 2 1/2 as well. While he doesn't need to stay out of the sun they are concerned about sunburn. He also gets sunscreen top to bottom. If Uval is still made that is what my doctor recommended for me. It is a sun block not a sunscreen.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennor View Post
The child will need to be present when the GAC is requested as it will be issued in her name; you request a GAC at Guest Relations at a park by explaining needs, not diagnosis. Also note that a GAC will only be of assistance at rides/attractions - it will have no "value" when walking around the parks which is truly where most sun exposure occurs.

You will want to do all you normally do to keep her protected from the sun. Use the sun hat with face shield, UV protective clothing, sunblock, an oversized sunshade on the stroller, towel or light sheet over the stroller to provide an extra barrier, etc.

You should request to use the stroller-as-wheelchair to allow her that extra shade since it is not possible to keep lines completely out of the sun. I suggest alternating indoor and outdoor rides/attractions to minimize exposure. How is your DD in the evenings/night? If she's a night owl (most kids aren't, but maybe), try to plan your time at the parks to be more evenings and nights rather than mid-day. At the very least, try for rope-drop until noon-ish, take a break indoors for the early afternoon when the sun is at peak, and return late afternoon.

Enjoy your vacation!

Last edited by lanejudy; 09-20-2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: added
lanejudy is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: