DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #16
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazoo77 View Post
I agree with OP that Disney should notify guests about planned maintenance being done during their stay. I would expect that Disney plans and schedules their maintenance well in advance and there is no reason the information shouldn't be provided. A heads up would be nice.
It's really an impossible task to do so plus the system doesn't necessarily want people reacting to such option by changing reservations or taking up staff time by complaining or negotiating. Letting people know is the easy part, just put it on the website. The problem is knowing about such issues and making the decision about what to notify members and what not to. Clearly none of these issues were of the type where it would have been reasonable to expect a notification and part were outside the resort.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #17
Cee
DIS Veteran

We'll be at BCV in a few weeks and I was relieved to read that these were the only issues you had with the resort. I guess in the case of the Solarium, Disney figured it was better to have a makeshift gym than no gym. It had to go somewhere and the Solarium was the best location.

All these things are temporary, but I'm sorry that it impacted your vacation.

Next time, all will be well.
Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #18
Snurk71
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't consider the solarium being used as a temp spot for the fitness room as a "major" renovation.

Now, the SAB closing during spring break (we only experienced the partial closure) - I do consider as "major" since SAB is a major draw to YC/BC.
Snurk71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #19
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Honestly I don't think it would hurt to slip a brief notice into the check-in packets for guests who will be impacted by closure or temporary relocation of any resort amenity.

Beyond that, I wouldn't anticipate any major changes to Disney's status quo. While projects may be penciled-in on the calendar, exact dates are not set until just a few weeks beforehand. Notification at 11 or 7 months is not practical. And given the nature of DVC reservations, most guests aren't going to be able to switch resorts even when some desired amenity is impacted.

Notification would most likely be costly. Disney doesn't have the framework in place to send mass emails to guests staying over a certain date range. And even if they had the capability, not all members use email and many messages are still misdirected by spam filters. Ultimately we're talking about thousands of letters being mailed. Resorts occasionally go this route but only with a very major project like closure at Stormalong Bay.

Also, things like this have a way of morphing from a positive to a negative. While it may seem like advance notification is a good thing, drawing attention to any sort of refurb / closure has a way of inducing panic among members.

There are people who have no idea where the BC health club or Solarium are located--and no intention of using either one. But tell folks these facilities will be closed during a stay and suddenly they begin fretting over the impact it may have on their stay. Some will even start angling for compensation.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:38 PM   #20
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
Honestly I don't think it would hurt to slip a brief notice into the check-in packets for guests who will be impacted by closure or temporary relocation of any resort amenity.
I think that's very reasonable and should be routine procedure. That's much different than a prettification for minor to medium issues. Obviously decisions must be made as to what to notify potential guests ahead of time, what to do so on check in and what not to mention. Not everyone will agree with the decisions of course.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #21
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

OP- when was your stay? I am curious when the road closure was. My inlaws were at BCV the end of July and they said the buses were atrocious and they won't stay there again because it was so bad. I am thinking it was during the road closure and that added time on their bus route that they didn't realize was not the norm.

I got 5 nights at BCV for January...1st time I ever could get a resie at BCV...yay! I can't wait. We will just do what we can to avoid the buses as we hate them no matter what resort we are staying at.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #22
toniosmom
AKV, BCV, BLT Owner!

Spring break is a very popular time (not to mention HOT) time of year, so to get there and see SAB closed for repair would be so disappointing to me and devastating to my DS7. An emergency is understandable, but we should be notified of a planned maintenance before we get there.

We stayed at SSR in the spring of 2008 (outside of spring break) and the main theme pool was closed for repair/maintenance the entire month. I found out about it via AllEars, I think, so I was able to prep my (at the time) DS4 for it. We still had a great time, but it was disappointing.

In 2010, we stayed at AKV for the first time and the heater broke at the Kidani pool. The water was freezing, but we swam anyway. It would have been nicer if the water was at least a little warmer, but we were still able to enjoy it.

We'll be back at BCV in March -- they better have completed any maintenance by then!!!

1974 - Offsite 1976 - Offsite 1997 - Dixie Landings 1998 - Offsite 2008 - All Star Movies - Became new DVC member! March 2009 - SSR - First DVC Vacation!
March 2010 - AKV-Kidani Dec 2010 - BLT Christmas Trip April 2011 - BCV Nov 2011- BWV/DCL Dream March 2013 - BLT/DCL Dream April 2014 - VGF/DCL Dream Sept 2014 - VWL

Last edited by toniosmom; 09-20-2012 at 10:08 AM.
toniosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #23
nickcapp
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all of your replies.

We were there from 8/11-8/28.

The buses were very very slow during this time (doubled due to the road closure).

Like I said, we dealt with these minor issues and had a great time. A heads up was all I was looking for. Which was the purpose of the letter. I asked for nothing.

IMHO, It would be very selfish of Disney to fear cancellations and hide scheduled work that could hinder a guests stay.

Give me as much information as possible, and let me make my a decision based on that.

That's all.
nickcapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: