Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 03:42 AM   #1
LiseG
DIS Veteran

Long Beach Airport & Disney Cruise - best car/hotel/shuttle combo?

OK... need your help.

We're planning a Disney Cruise heading out of San Pedro. We'll flying into LGB on a Saturday morning and have about 24 hours to play, sleep and get to the ship.

Now here's where I need your help. I need a combo of a car, hotel and maybe a shuttle or taxi, too.

Option #1 - Hotel offering FREE LGB and San Pedro Shuttles
According to their website, the Best Western Long Beach offers a Fly & Cruise Package
Sat am - Arrive at LGB & rent car for the day
Sat PM - Return car at airport and take hotel shuttle back to the room
Sun am - Take hotel shuttle to San Pedro / DCL

Option #2 - Paid Shuttle
Sat am - Arrive at LGB & rent car for 24 hrs.
Sun am - Return car to airport and take paid shuttle/taxi to the port

Option #3 - Taxi & San Pedro Rental Car
Sat am - Arrive at LGB & take taxi to Enterprise Rent-A-Car in San Pedro
Sun am - Return car to Enterprise SP. They will shuttle FREE to DCL

I know I'm overthinking this.

Can you please tell me what's worked for you... where did you stay, how did you get around

Thank you for your help

Magic 4-Day Cozumel only - Sept 2004 (Booked as 7-Day Eastern - Thanks Hurricane Francis) . . . . . . . Magic 7-Day Western - Sept 2009 (Ms. Mary's Wedding)
Magic 7-Day Semi-Western - Sept 2005 (Booked Eastern again - went West due to Hurricane Rita) . . .Wonder 7-Day Pacific Coast PIXAR- Sept 2012
Magic 7-Day Eastern - Halloween 2006 (Finally made it to Eastern!) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Fantasy 7-Day Western - Sept 2014 (20th Anniversary)
LiseG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:54 AM   #2
samily
DIS Veteran

We've sailed out of San Pedro twice. The first time we did option 2. We planned to rent a car at LGB when our flight arrived; however our flight arrived late, and the rental places were closed. The hotel shuttle also was not running at that time (around midnight). There were plenty of cabs waiting at LGB, so we hopped in a cab to the hotel. In the morning my DH took the free hotel shuttle back to LGB and picked up the car. We had a full day to site see. The day we got on the ship, DH dropped us all off at the port and then drove back to LGB to return the rental car. He took a shuttle back to the port - the shuttles at the airport are priced per person and there were 6 of us, so that is why he dropped us at the port first.

When we got off we had reserved a van with Zippy Shuttle.

The 2nd time around, we needed the rental car for a couple of days before and a day after the cruise, and it ended up being cheaper to rent for the week and pay to park at the port. Much more convenient too!
"And so many nights I just dream of the ocean; God, I wish I was sailin' again; Oh, yesterdays are over my shoulder; So I can't look back for too long; There's just too much to see waiting in front of me, and I know that I just can't go wrong...." Jimmy Buffett
samily is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
LiseG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by samily View Post
We've sailed out of San Pedro twice. The first time we did option 2. We planned to rent a car at LGB when our flight arrived; however our flight arrived late, and the rental places were closed. The hotel shuttle also was not running at that time (around midnight). There were plenty of cabs waiting at LGB, so we hopped in a cab to the hotel. In the morning my DH took the free hotel shuttle back to LGB and picked up the car. We had a full day to site see. The day we got on the ship, DH dropped us all off at the port and then drove back to LGB to return the rental car. He took a shuttle back to the port - the shuttles at the airport are priced per person and there were 6 of us, so that is why he dropped us at the port first.

The 2nd time around, we needed the rental car for a couple of days before and a day after the cruise, and it ended up being cheaper to rent for the week and pay to park at the port. Much more convenient too!
Great info... I was thinking about taking DH and DD to the port first, too.

thank you

Magic 4-Day Cozumel only - Sept 2004 (Booked as 7-Day Eastern - Thanks Hurricane Francis) . . . . . . . Magic 7-Day Western - Sept 2009 (Ms. Mary's Wedding)
Magic 7-Day Semi-Western - Sept 2005 (Booked Eastern again - went West due to Hurricane Rita) . . .Wonder 7-Day Pacific Coast PIXAR- Sept 2012
Magic 7-Day Eastern - Halloween 2006 (Finally made it to Eastern!) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Fantasy 7-Day Western - Sept 2014 (20th Anniversary)
Old 10-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
LiseG
DIS Veteran

Rental Car Tip

If you're not sure if you'll need the car or don't mind playing it to the end... hjere's a cheap car trick.

My friends disembarked the Wonder early and found they had extra time between arriving back at the airport and the flight. A quick reservation on Priceline via smart phone found them a $16/day car with Avis! Much better than waiting for hours in the airport.

I was in the next line paying $45 for Hertz.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
dthogue
BL II - Blue Team
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by samily View Post

How was your experience with Zippy Shuttle??

dthogue is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: