Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
Nixie
DIS Veteran

Knee Surgery :(

I just found out yesterday that there is a good possibilty that I will be having knee surgery before our trip in December. I have been reading all the stickies and gathering information. (Thank you for all of those!) The question I stil have is: We were planning on renting a car. If I need to rent a EVC, how will I transport it from our resort to the parks? Are they able to be folded up and fit into a trunk? Are the parking lot trams EVC accessible or do I just need to motor to the front of the park?

Nixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
peemagg
We are doing the AKL tri-fecta
You will find us wrapped up in them at night and on the weekends

First off you will need to rent a travel style ECV. These are able to be taken apart. Some of them are the Pride Go-Go Elite Traveler and Traveler Plus scooters. There are others out there too, but these are the style that is rented quite frequently. You would probably need a car of standard size or larger to it to fit into the trunk.

You can't take it on the trams. What you should do right now is ask your doctor about a temporary handicapped tag. Bring this tag with you to Disney then you can park in the handicapped lots. There is no trams there, but it is usually a bit closer than regular parking.
peemagg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
cena_lamb
Earning My Ears

ECV's are available at all parks for $70/day (20 refundable deposit). BUT...you may not transport them between parks, meaning that you must travel into and out of parks by crutch or the provided wheelchairs. Now, on a brighter side, if you have someone willing to push you, I heard a rumor that if you check with your resort, sometimes they have wheelchairs available for your length of stay that you keep with you.
cena_lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
peemagg
We are doing the AKL tri-fecta
You will find us wrapped up in them at night and on the weekends

Quote:
Originally Posted by cena_lamb View Post
ECV's are available at all parks for $70/day (20 refundable deposit). BUT...you may not transport them between parks, meaning that you must travel into and out of parks by crutch or the provided wheelchairs. Now, on a brighter side, if you have someone willing to push you, I heard a rumor that if you check with your resort, sometimes they have wheelchairs available for your length of stay that you keep with you.
I wouldn't count on the wheelchairs at the resorts. They are meant for emergency use, like you fall and twist and ankle and such. They also are not always the best maintained or in great shape. If you need a wheelchair, then you are better off renting from an outside company who keeps their chairs maintained and they will have the right size one for you. If you only need a regular width chair, you don't want to try to use a extra wide one, or try to fit into one that is too small either.
peemagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
Glittercat
Mouseketeer

I know you mentioned ECV's but I have to agree with the others... my wheelchair folds right up on busses and such and the feet come off if we need to transport it by car. My husband can break it down in one minute flat, takes me a little longer. No matter what you choose if you can get a bit of practice in as learning to turn, break, go up hills, and watch for everything around you can take a few tries. Wishing you lots of good luck.

Glittercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:27 AM   #6
Piper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cena_lamb View Post
That is just a rumor. The wheelchairs at resorts are supposed to be for people who either get hurt while on property or suddenly find themselves needing one. Even then, they may not have one available. Also, they are not in great shape (since they aren't for continuous use.) You will get a better chair and one that is the right size for you if you rent from an outside vendor.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: