Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 02:35 AM   #1
Go Vols
Go Vols

Taking a 10 month old to Disney

We have been visiting Disney for several years and just had our first child. Would like to hear about any experiences regarding taking a 10 month old to Disney. We are planning on going in early May and staying at GF.
Go Vols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
ElenaRN
Mouseketeer

Congrats on your baby!!

We went when DD was 11 months old and had not started walking yet. She was cruising but not walking on her own. I think this made is slighly easier bc she was content in the ERGO or stroller.

We have never stayed at GF but are DVC members and stay at BLT. We found it very convenient to have the monorail there and be able to travel to 2 parks without having to drive. We also were able to walk to MK from BLT. Not sure if that is possible from GF.

I was still nursing, but DD was also eating regular food. I made sure to have some baby appropriate snacks and even brought some baby food just for convenience.

We are going at the end of the month and she is now 20 months old and running all over. I think this is going to be the challenging trip.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
luvmesometigger
Mouseketeer

We took ODD when she was 9 months old and YDD when she was 18 months old.

Do you have any specific questions??

(DH) (ME) (DS 14) (DD 8) (DD 5)
Poly 5/1994, SoG 1/1996, Contemp 8/2004, Pop Century 6/2006, Contemp 12/2010, SoG 4/2012 POR 6/2013 AoA 8/2014

luvmesometigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #4
ready2vacation
Mouseketeer

Just got back yesterday

We got back from 9 days at Disney with our 10 month old daughter yesterday. It was challenging at times, but still a lot of fun. The main thing is to be flexible and go with their schedule and cues. Here were some things that we learned or worked for us:

1. Have a spritzer fan available to cool the baby off. My DD loved this!
2. I'm assuming you are in TN, too (Go Vols!) so this may affect your child as well - the pollen wreaked havoc on my DD. The environment was so different than TN, she immediately had significant issues.
3. We believe because of #2, that she lost her appetite and would only drink formula with small amounts of table food/baby food. This is a HUGE difference in her normal diet. She seems to be back on track today.
4. DD loved the characters at Crystal Palace. I thought the characters were very good about approaching cautiously and gauging the child first.
5. Baby centers were so nice to use and the changing tables SO much nicer than the regular bathrooms. Nice quiet and cool environment.

Hope this helps!
ready2vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
ChillyWilleys
My mother is a finger licking cake cutter

I brought DD at 7months and it was surprisingly easy and she enjoyed it surprisinly much! The most important thing is to know your babycare centers! They are a Godsend. Especially if your nursing. They are clean, quiet and cool. Absolutely perfect for changing and feeding. They have microwaves if you need to heat up food, rocking chairs for quiet feedings, high chairs and and a TV and some toys. Great for down time if the baby gets a little overstimulated. Other than that just go with the flow. DD loved looking around at all the sights and even loved (and I mean LOVED) the characters. Other things are pretty much the same as with anyone. Remember your sun screen, be willing to stop for naps if need be, and keep cool and hydrated.
ChillyWilleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
hfuellgraf
DisneyMOM

DD first trip when she was 9 months. Sippy Cup/Bottle with water and juice, we bought a LARGE hard lolli pop for "meltdowns" I took a baggie and rewrapped she smiled everytime I got it out! The rocking chairs on Tom Sawyers island; the Belle show at HS and ditto on Crystal Palace loved those characters. Maybe introduce her to some of the Disney Characters on Disney JR. shows etc...Have fun!
00-All star Movies Buzz; 03-All Star Movies Woody; 04-All star Movies Dalmations; 05 All Star Movies Buzz; 06-All star Sports; 07-CBR; 08-All star Movies- Fantasia;12-All star Movies-Dalmations Planning March-13-All star Movies OR AoA Cars Suite
hfuellgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
TheWabbit
Earning My Ears

We just got back from our 2nd trip to Disney with an infant and two other kids (2 and 5). We stayed at Riverside with daughter #2 (6 months) and our van. We had to fold up the stroller each time but it wasn't a big deal. We did take the bus once to Magic Kingdom for MNSSHP. On the bus and trams, use a baby wrap to wear the kid as your other folds the stroller and holds it. You can find a lot of info on woven wraps at thebabywearer.com. My wife brought several and they worked well.

The first trip daughter #1 was 11 months and we stayed at the Poly. The monorail is awesome since you can roll the stroller on most times. The Magic Kingdom is my wife's favorite and Epcot is mine so it worked out well.

Use baby swap passes and everyone will get to ride the big stuff. You might ride alone but single-seat lines are often very quick. It's not like the ride changes from person to person (except for Star Tours).

Good luck!
TheWabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #8
Go Vols
Go Vols

Great information! Thanks!
Go Vols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
pumpkinmomma
Mouseketeer

We took our youngest at 10 months old, and it was surprisingly an easy trip. A couple of suggestion beyond what pip's have already said. If baby is crawling but not walking yet, take a few breaks from the park to let baby crawl around and be free from the stroller. Overall my dd was fine in the stroller most of the time but we made sure to take breaks at the room where she could crawl and explore without being so confined.

The only attractions that were problems were the longer shows like Finding Nemo. She got bored about halfway through and we had to take her out. We found we could only do shows that were 20 min or less.

Just be flexible, try to sit where you can escape easily if necessary, and go with the baby's cues and you will be fine.
pumpkinmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #10
Marsheliz
DIS Veteran

I am taking an 11 month old on Friday and an excited to see how things go. I will let you know! We have a stroller, obviously but just recently I dug out our Baby Bjorn that I had from my first child and Landen seems to love it. My mom had a good point that when he is in his stroller, all he will see is everyones legs walking and not get to see much. By putting him in his carrier- he will get a good look at everything I am hoping he is not scared of the characters but something tells me he will be
We are just planning on trying to not over-do it and hopefully we will be fine.

No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep believing.. The dreams that you dream... Really do come true....

April 2005- Offsite.. My now DH's first time
December 2005- Offsite ( ENGAGED at MK)
December 2007- Offsite ( Pregnant with Lawson)
February 2011-All Star Sport ( Pregnant with Landen)
September 2012- 1 night @ POFQ
September 2012- 3 nights @ AOA
October 2013- Caribbean Beach Resort
June 2014- Weekend Surprise at Port Orleans Riverside!

October 2013 TR- http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3207813
Marsheliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
nemofans
DIS Veteran

You will see WDW in a whole new way w/your little one! DS's 1st trip was DL at 6 mos old & he just loved looking at everything! He also loved the parade & characters. I have a great pic of him grabbing Pluto's nose. It was a very fun, relaxing trip as we followed his schedule & took breaks back in the room.
My 2nd DS just turned 1 yr right b4 his 1st trip. He already loved Mickey & it was so sweet seeing him meet Mickey for the 1st time. We have a great pic of him grabbing Mickey's nose. He was afraid of the taller characters though (Goofy, Pluto, Incredibles, etc).

We brought our own stroller that reclines for naps & for use in airports.
I brought lots of disposable supplies, like bibs, spoons, sippys, wipes.
I also ordered from babiestravellite.com for baby food, diapers, the supplies listed above, & it was shipped directly to our resort. This is very helpful if you are flying down.
USE the babycenters for diaper changes, feeding, downtime from the sun, for extra supplies you forgot or ran out of.
We used the baby bjorn for rides like jungle cruise & small world.
We avoided fireworks shows or watched them from a far distance (Narcoossee's or Calif Grill).

I've been BOO'd!!

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 62 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #12
ClaireW
Mouseketeer

We took both DDs for their first trip at 12 months and stayed at the GF. I think you'll be glad to be on the monorail loop when it's time for naps, etc. You can't walk directly to the MK but it is just one stop on the monorail on the way to MK. We often took the boat back to the GF but sometimes with little ones the monorail is just so much easier because you don't have to fold the stroller.
ClaireW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #13
RachaelA
DIS Veteran

We're taking our DD in 3 weeks (she will be 11 1/2 months). I'll let you know how it goes! We're staying at BLT and plan to come back to the room for one nap a day (and see if she'll take another nap in one of my carriers or ring slings.

DD walks (has been since 9 months) though so I have a feeling she is going to wear us out quickly! The naps might be more for mommy and daddy

Aug 2005 1st Trip Offsite-Jan 2008 Pop-June 2009 AKL CL *Disneymoon!*-May 2010 AKL CL *1st Anniversary*-Dec 2010 Pop - October 2012- First birthday trip and first trip home to BLT! - May 2013- AKV Upcoming Trip: October 2014- BLT *1st and 3rd birthday trip!*
RachaelA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: