Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Swimming with the Ducks!

One of the simple pleasures of WDW is while staying at the WL, waking up very early, putting on your swimsuit, going down to the empty pool to enjoy some quality time swimming with the family of ducks, who use the pool when everyone else is asleep!

Has a anyone else enjoyed this experience? Are there families of ducks at other resorts?

BTW, please don't chase the ducks away!
Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
scout68
We dig the Duck

It is an experience I will not forget. The first time we shared the pool with them was almost 9 years ago!

Doofenshmirtz

Headed home 11-1

Last edited by scout68; 09-18-2012 at 10:18 PM.
scout68 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteAsMinnie View Post
One of the simple pleasures of WDW is while staying at the WL, waking up very early, putting on your swimsuit, going down to the empty pool to enjoy some quality time swimming with the family of ducks, who use the pool when everyone else is asleep!

Has a anyone else enjoyed this experience? Are there families of ducks at other resorts?

Yes they decided to join us at the Courtyard pool in Grand Floridian until some over excited kids scared them away...

That being said they crash my pool all the time at home as well, we are SFL residents...
Butterflygirl35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflygirl35 View Post
Yes they decided to join us at the Courtyard pool in Grand Floridian until some over excited kids scared them away...

That being said they crash my pool all the time at home as well, we are SFL residents...
Oh, what fun!

Kiddies, please don't scare away the ducks! Watching them is more fun, especially underwater!
Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:51 AM   #5
mamamary
DIS Veteran

My kids swam with ducks at CSR (in the middle of the afternoon) in one of the quiet pools.

me dh ds (17) dd (15) and Baxter (my 8 year old lab - rescued from a shelter)

mamamary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:51 AM   #6
almcg
Mouseketeer

My DD12 ending up swimming with the ducks at the Dolphin Lap Pool. They had been walking around the pool and one of the Waiters tried to chase them away. It was only ever going to end one way and she ended up swimming with a Mummy duck and her three ducklings. Very cute
almcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #7
cvjw
DIS Veteran

We were swimming at the BCV quiet pool one afternoon when a mother duck and about 8 ducklings got in the pool with us to swim. Everything was going great until mother duck had to go to the bathroom. It was disgusting, and went every where - you could see the pool water turning brown. After that, swimming with the ducks lost it's shine in our eyes.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjw View Post
We were swimming at the BCV quiet pool one afternoon when a mother duck and about 8 ducklings got in the pool with us to swim. Everything was going great until mother duck had to go to the bathroom. It was disgusting, and went every where - you could see the pool water turning brown. After that, swimming with the ducks lost it's shine in our eyes.
Ewww... Yes that would do it... Kiddies continue chasing the ducks
Butterflygirl35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:54 AM   #9
rznhal
DIS Veteran

I watched ducks swim in the pool at AKL while I ate breakfast last trip....it was too cold to get in though (unless you had feathers)

Great memories!!

me, DH, DD6, DS2
1988-Grand Floridian, 1993-offsite, 1994-offsite
2002-DTD and Disney Cruise Honeymoon
2005-offsite, 2009-POP, 2011-CSR
2012-Adults only Graduation Trip-AKL
2013-AKL again!
rznhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #10
mouseketeermama
Mouseketeer

I don't have any pics of us swimming with them at the Poly, but we did! They were not afraid of us at all!

Just a married to my raising our littleand tiny
mouseketeermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #11
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We have seen several ducks in the pool many times and I love it . They have also walked right up to us when we were outside eating or just sitting by the pool. But we have also seen on several occasions where kids would chase them away .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #12
dzorn
DIS Addict

Quote:

I hate swimming with the ducks. Duck poop in the pool Yuck.

Denise in MI
Off Site, SSR 2014 (with the Marching Band), ASMu,AKV, BLT Aug/Sept 2012, AKV April 2012, BCV/AKV November 2011, BB April 2011, CBR,BCV,BWV Aug/Sept 2010, ASMu,VWL Nov 2009, CSR September 2009, AKV August 2009, CSR April 09 ,AKV/VWL/OKW Feb 09, TL April 08, DCL January 08, POR August 2007, POR May 2006, ASMo May 2005

dzorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #13
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:

And you can never catch them when playing Marco Polo with them
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #14
king kamehameha
Poly Beach Comber

This is a typical morning at the Polynesian! [IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #15
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

Last May we swam with the ducks in the BCV pool. I was sitting on a lounge chair watching DH and both of my kids swim when all of a sudden 4 baby ducklings came waddling in to take an afternoon swim. They were so cute and no one bothered them. Mama duck did decide to come join in the fun by flying into the pool. When mama duck decided to swoop in, it was right when my youngest DD went underwater, which was a good thing because I think DD would of freaked out seeing mama duck swooping in right over her head . Mama duck was just coming to retrieve her ducklings because they all got out of the pool and waddled away. It was so cute to watch .

PoohsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: