Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
coastiewifern
DIS Veteran

apple tv

Can someone explain how this works? We currently have DTV and would like to dump it after our contract ends. Our tv watching habits are changing as the kids get older. Our tv habits are as follows: besides the big 3 channels we watch shows on history, lifetime, bravo, espn, Fox, Nick jr, HGTV, PBS (Downton Abbey) mainly. We love watching footfall. We DVR probably 80% of the shows we watch.
Would we be able to watch most of what we want on Apple tv? We have an iPad, iPod touch, and 2 mac laptops if that matters at all.
My only trip as a kid 1983. The Moran family tradition begins: Jan 2002-off site,Dec 2002-Contemporary,May 2003-Shades of Green,Oct 2005-Shades of Green,Oct 2008-DCL 7 day western,Nov 2009-Shades of Green,Oct 2010-DCL 7 day eastern, Aug 2011, Oct 2011, BLT Nov 2011, March 2012 offsite, Disney Dream June 2012, July 2012 Blizzard Beach, August 2012 offsite and the end of our AP, offsite Nov 2012, BTL Jan 2013
coastiewifern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
JB2K
DIS Veteran

Apple TV is pretty much like the "Roku" box, or some of the apps found on today's Blu-ray players (it's basically a box that streams programming from certain TV-related websites) -- the only exception I am aware of is that Apple TV does allow users access their iTunes library (if that means anything to iTunes fans).

Now, to your post:

Quote:
Our tv watching habits are changing as the kids get older. Our tv habits are as follows: besides the big 3 channels we watch shows on history, lifetime, bravo, espn, Fox, Nick jr, HGTV, PBS (Downton Abbey) mainly. We love watching footfall. We DVR probably 80% of the shows we watch.
I see sports (particularly football) figures heavily in your viewing habits -- Apple TV, Roku, etc. will not be a good fit for you (unless you want to use an antenna to access the games on Fox/CBS/NBC). Same goes for PBS programming.

As for the rest of the programming, I suggest you give Hulu Plus a test-drive on the web -- if the programs are what you are looking-for, the box may be worth something to you.

Hope this helps...
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

Don't you pay PER epoisode or season of a show on Apple TV? I know you do on the iPad and most are $1.99/episode and at the very least $9.99/season and they aren't the current season. I have seen a few free epidodes of stuff, but not much.

We have a $40 convertor box, because we mostly watch ABC, some Fox and CBS and ocassionally PBS. We can't get NBC for some reason unknown to me. We also have Netflix that we can stream on our PS3, iPad, iPod, and laptops and my phone. They have added alot of new stuff recently, and it's $7.99 a month.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
momof3ds
Mouseketeer

With apple Tv, you can use hulu plus (8.99 a month) and netflix (also 8.99 a month) to watch certain things. I just watched the first 2 seasons of downtown abby on hulu plus.

Since you have an ipad (and other apple devices), you can also use the mirroring function to watch whatever you have on your ipad (except amazon instant videos I believe right now). So, if there was a full episode of something online, say from HGTV, you could stream it on your ipad and it would show up on your tv (as long as you have both the apple TV and ipad on the same wifi network).

I am thinking of getting an apple TV for this reason.
momof3ds is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: