Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
cornandacobb
Earning My Ears

Are wheelchairs free at Vacation Club rentals?

Reading up, I know if you stay at a DW resort, they will provide a wheelchair free or charge(refundable deposit of $315) on a first come first serve basis.

We are going in December, but for the first time we are renting from a vacation club owner. So, we'll be staying at the Beach Club Villas. Will the same wheelchair service be provided to my party?

Thanks.
cornandacobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Actually, while there are a limited number of wheelchairs available at WDW resorts free of charge, these are really intended to be for emergency/unplanned needs (someone gets hurt on vacation). They are not necessarily in the best condition, may not be the right size, and are only available first-come first-served - so planning to use one of these for your length of vacation is not advised. If you know you (or a member of your party) will need a wheelchair for your vacation, it is strongly advised to rent one. They are available in the parks, or a better option is to rent off-site which typically costs less and you have full use of the chair/ECV at all times (to/from buses or transportation, around the resort, etc.).

I can't speak specifically to wheelchair availability at DVC resorts, but I expect it to be the same as other WDW resorts.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
Piper
DIS Veteran

Wheelchairs are not available on a regular basis at WDW resorts. They may have a couple of them and they are not in the best condition. They may be too small or too big and are not carefully maintained. They are not intended for long term use--they are only available for emergencies.

To put yourself in someone else's shoes: How would you feel if you tripped and sprained an ankle and there were no emergency wheel chairs available because someone who knew they needed one before they came had taken it? The ones from the outside rental agencies are in much better condition and can be tailored to your needs. Plus they aren't very expensive....a few dollars a day.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

I agree with the others. They ate really meant for people who are not able to plan their need and might not be able to get a rental one on short notice.

They may have one they can lend out. They may not.
If they do, it may or may not be in good condition.

Your best bet is to rent from one of the offsite places - there are a number listed in post 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs. It is near the top of this board or you can follow the link in my signature.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
cornandacobb
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the repsonses. I now know what I need to do.
cornandacobb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: