Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
Andrea464
Mouseketeer

Just e-mailed the principal

Just e-mailed the principal to try and get credit for my daughter for three of the six days she'll miss at school from our Disney trip. I hope it works!
I wrote a one page letter detailing everything she'd be learning at all of the parks. *gulp*
June 2013: DisneyLand with my family & sister's family!
December 2014: 1st Cruise (Dream) with WDW stay at AKL
Andrea464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
Andrea464
Mouseketeer

Oh my stars, it worked!
I was expecting a few days, not all of them! She'll have to stay up to date on assignments (expected), as well as keep a daily journal with photos and pictures. She'll have to present that to her class when she returns to talk about what she saw and learned. Woohoo!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
ghtx
"In this times that all strategies seem to be death and you pay to eat fart and make a line in the parks of DW and just a few rides..."

What do you mean by "get credit" for three days?
Old 09-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
marmalade
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea464 View Post
Oh my stars, it worked!
I was expecting a few days, not all of them! She'll have to stay up to date on assignments (expected), as well as keep a daily journal with photos and pictures. She'll have to present that to her class when she returns to talk about what she saw and learned. Woohoo!
Great news!

I want to take my kids out of school within the next few years to go in October, and I hope their school is as accommodating as yours.
marmalade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
Andrea464
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtx View Post
What do you mean by "get credit" for three days?
Excused as an educational opportunity (lawful absence) vs. unexcused absence.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
dismiss
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea464 View Post
Oh my stars, it worked!
Would you mind sharing what you wrote?
My school is already giving me grief for 3 days in Oct.
High school 16 year old.

Please send a PM

Thanks
Dismiss
dismiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
RedHeadedFairy
DIS Veteran

I found this one online & I'm debating using a versionof it. DD will only miss 2 days of 3rd grade & she's a straight-A student all the way around. It's also the very first 2 days of a new quarter, so plenty of time to catch-up. I might just skip it, call her in sick & deal with the catch-up later just to avoid the judgement. Our school is militant about non-excused absences.

http://www.themouseforless.com/downloads/kids/SE.shtml

Last edited by RedHeadedFairy; 09-19-2012 at 12:58 PM.
RedHeadedFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
Andrea464
Mouseketeer

Here is my letter that I wrote!

*removed*

Last edited by Andrea464; 09-26-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
DopeyDame
DIS Veteran

Inriguing...
What would have happened if you had just said "Annabelle will be out of school for a family vacation October 12-19, 2012."
DopeyDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #10
lindsmom
DIS Veteran

I just emailed my daughter's school - 6th grade. I sent an email to her three primary teachers (math, english, reading, social studies, science) to say that we would be out (gave the dates - missing 6 days of school) for a family vacation. Told them she would be keeping a journal which she will be happy to share with the teachers, and if the teachers wanted to add anything to that we would be happy to incorporate it in her journal - also that we aren't asking for makeup work, as that is extra work for the teachers and I wouldn't expect or ask that.

Got very nice responses back, all three wished us a nice and safe vacation, told us they would give her some work to do over the time we are gone, and seemed very amenable to it.

I also sent an email to the principal and vice - principal, with a copy of the text that I sent the teachers as a head's up. I think it helps that I spent the last 5 years working on the PTA, for a few extra brownie points. LOL!
Old 09-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #11
Andrea464
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeyDame View Post
Inriguing...
What would have happened if you had just said "Annabelle will be out of school for a family vacation October 12-19, 2012."
It'd count as an unexcused absence. Looking at our handbook out now, it states (for my state): "It is illegal for a child to fail to be in school for any reason other than those set forth by the State Board of Education..."
3 unlawful absences: notification
6 unlawful: notification via nastygram that you might be in violation of law
10 unlawful: school can notify DA and file a complaint.

Without the prior approval my daughter would get 6 unlawful absences from this one trip. The letter might have gone overboard, but I wanted it clear that there was plenty of stuff to do that was educational.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Inriguing...
That's all I've done and never had a problem. I'd have a big problem with an administrator telling me when I can and cannot take my kids out of school.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:14 PM   #13
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismiss View Post
High school 16 year old.

Please send a PM

Thanks
Dismiss
While I think her letter was fine for an younger elementary school child, don't think that would fly for a high school teen. Good luck, we found it impossible to take DS out once we hit high school.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #14
hj0519
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismiss View Post
High school 16 year old.

Please send a PM

Thanks
Dismiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSSANDRA View Post
While I think her letter was fine for an younger elementary school child, don't think that would fly for a high school teen. Good luck, we found it impossible to take DS out once we hit high school.
Agreed...that letter works for a kid in elementary school, but not for a high schooler. A week in Disney World is not the equivalent of a week's worth of high school classes, even if they are "learning about other cultures" in Epcot.
hj0519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:23 AM   #15
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Inriguing...
You should just deal with the consequences
I will preface this by saying that I have taken my kids out of school for WDW, and I wouldn't even consider trying to get "credit" for them since the trip wasn't planned as an educational trip, it was planned as a family vacation. Sure the trip would be a learning experience, but one can say that about anything. Unless the trip is planned specifically for education then its just an excuse so that parents aren't held responsible for their choice for their child to miss required school days in order to take a vacation. We have to do what is right for our families, and sometimes that means we vacation when school is in session, but we should own up to it.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: