Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #16
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolewhipPrincess View Post
I believe that I read somewhere that the entire structure was made out of concrete. There was no way to pick them up and move them.
Pretty much..... and if you saw the pictures of the demolition, You'd see how the majority of the structure was concrete and rebar. (You gotta recall that those houses were built, similar to the "Temporary Tents", For the Temporary Mickey's BirthdayLand for Mickey's big 60th Bday celebration in '89....Which then turned into Mickey's Starland.... and then got the remodel into Toontown. Nothing was really built with the intention of remaining in place for 20+yrs)

They did save many of the interior decorations though, and I believe i've heard and seen some pictures of some of those set pieces and props even being placed around the Expo where Mickey now does his M&G.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #17
BeadyLady
Survivor
Us older people try to amuse the younger ones
He likes the whole thing - so who am I to stop the visits

Good to know, the interiors were great fun!

wish we were there NOW

April 1994 All Star Music; Sept 1999 Caribbean; May 2005 POP Century, the 60's; Dec 2006 Port Orleans French Qtr; Oct 2007 POP Century; Dec 2010 Caribbean Resort; planning Oct 2012
BeadyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2012, 01:39 AM   #18
tikistitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaters View Post
Same with the old Disney Store I used to go to- it got remodeled into a very generic Gap-looking store before shutting down. I wonder what happened to all the cool character statues and set pieces. They were too cool to just toss into a dumpster.
Not a dumpster. They were woodchipped to prevent people from taking them. I helped close/demolish a large handful of the disney stores in the area I live in between 2004-2006 and it was always so sad to have to woodchip the animation that used to live on top of the store.
tikistitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #19
MichelleAMouse
Earning My Ears

That's really sad news :/. I haven't been since this new expansion, so I guess I'll just have to hope it was worth it to remove them.
MichelleAMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #20
dwaters
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikistitch View Post
Not a dumpster. They were woodchipped to prevent people from taking them. I helped close/demolish a large handful of the disney stores in the area I live in between 2004-2006 and it was always so sad to have to woodchip the animation that used to live on top of the store.

Oh no! Don't put Mickey in a woodchipper!

Why woodchip versus simply giving them to employees or fans? Maybe auction them off for charity? Seems like they had lots of options here.

Did they tell you why they did it this way?
dwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:56 PM   #21
Jackiemarie21
DIS Veteran

Sad

The Mickey and Minnie houses were always a favorite of mine! I am excited about the FE, but I will also miss that attraction. I can still remember the first time I saw Mickey's house, its one of my favorite childhood memories.
Jackiemarie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #22
tikistitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaters View Post

Oh no! Don't put Mickey in a woodchipper!

Why woodchip versus simply giving them to employees or fans? Maybe auction them off for charity? Seems like they had lots of options here.

Did they tell you why they did it this way?
The only thing we were told was they had to be destroyed and not put in a dumpster, to keep people from taking them and selling them. I hope some of the other stores were able to maybe auction off the larger characters for charity, though! I'm not saying some of the smaller animation like Tink and Figaro didn't make their way home with some managers, and I'm definitely not saying it did , but we were just told to destroy all of it before our final day of demolition.
tikistitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #23
jshuff1
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

that is news to me I was really looking foward to bring my 5-3-1 year olds( of course in a couple of more years) to see the houses I wish they would build them somewhere else for it is Disney World right??? Home Of Mickey
jshuff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:31 AM   #24
Fantasmiss
DIS Veteran

My husband said he thinks they should be sold on eby or similar. How funny would it be to live in Mickey's house, haha! Imagine the neighbours' faces! :D
May 2008 - WDW - All Star Sports - 2 weeks
Jan 2009 - WDW - All Star Music + All Star Movies - 2 weeks - birthday trip
Feb/Mar 2010 - DLP - Santa Fe - 6 days
Jan 2011 - WDW - All Star Movies & Pop Century - 17 days - birthday trip
May 2011 - WDW - All Star Sports - 17 days - anniversary trip
Nov 2011 - DLP - Hotel Cheyenne - 6 days
Oct/Nov 2012 - WDW - All Star Sports+Art of Animation - 3 weeks - 10th Disney Trip
Oct/Nov 2013 - WDW - All Star Sports - 25 days - birthday trip
MAR 2014 - DLP - Hotel Cheyenne - 5 days- birthday trip

MAY 2014 - WDW - ALL STAR SPORTS - 17 DAYS - ANNIVERSARY TRIP!

Fantasmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #25
Disneyfreak44
Mouseketeer

Those two houses would be the smallest million dollar houses ever hahaha
Most recent trip was to Walt Disney World we stayed at Caribbean beach and got to experience mymagic+ and the Magic Bands and it was awesome!
Disneyfreak44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #26
Itlngrl
Earning My Ears

So sad. We were there a few years ago when our daughter was 3 and it's one of the things she still remembers.

She is now 6 and yesterday she told me she is so excited we are going this January and the first thing she wants to do is visit Minnie's house. Yikes, not sure what story I will have to tell her now as to why the houses aren't there.
Itlngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:56 AM   #27
AdamRos19
Earning My Ears

It was an upset to see them go I remember them as a kid. Definitely with the new expansion though.

As for stories in true Disney Spirit,

1- moved into cinderellas castle
2- live in California but come here every day. (goes along with your arriving and departing video on the magical express bus)
3- depending on your resort they could be "staying at your resort on vaca" also goes along w those videos
4- moved into he upstairs of the firehouse- or live on mainstreet

I'm sure you'll come up w something, after all prince charming did get cinderella cable TV to the castle. :-)
AdamRos19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #28
AdventureIsOutThere
Just a girl, boy and their dog.

The mice are not homeless

I know this has been mentioned on the board, but for all of those worried that their kids will be sad that they can't see Mickey and Minnie's houses just remind them that WDW is where Mickey and Minnie go on vacation, too! Their permanent homes are safe and sound in ToonTown in Disneyland!

It should be an easy enough explanation... we go on vacation, so do M&M! And lucky for the kids they are visiting at the same time!

I realize not everyone can go on multiple trips and make it out to California but that is where all the magic started and where Disney is headquartered. Disneyland is so wonderful and knowing you are walking in Walt's dream is pure magic!
AdventureIsOutThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #29
BeadyLady
Survivor
Us older people try to amuse the younger ones
He likes the whole thing - so who am I to stop the visits

Views of insides

wish we were there NOW

April 1994 All Star Music; Sept 1999 Caribbean; May 2005 POP Century, the 60's; Dec 2006 Port Orleans French Qtr; Oct 2007 POP Century; Dec 2010 Caribbean Resort; planning Oct 2012
BeadyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #30
Angebee
Mouseketeer

"Yikes, not sure what story I will have to tell her now as to why the houses aren't there."

According to the website about New Fantasyland, a spell has been keeping us from seeing this expansion for many years. Could always paint Mickey and Minnie as heroes in that they sacrificed their Florida homes to help break the spell?

(inactive at the moment) 'No Pit Stoppo!' -- Our first TR (Feb 2013)

The Sunfinders ... 'Lady' (mom), 'Butch' (dad), me, Kit (21)

'88, '90, '94 to '98 -- offsite w/ family '09 -- ASsport & '13 -- AoA Cars '11 -- offsite at Disneyland!
Angebee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: