Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #16
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elleshoodat View Post
Thanks for the link!
You are welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbott View Post
I've had some more time to think about this, and I think there are a few things to consider to help you choose the right one for your kid.

First, battery life. Is it rechargeable? You don't want to be replacing batteries constantly.

Second, games or app cost. I prefer the iPad or an android model mostly because there are tons of free educational apps. I've purchased one or two pricey apps, but the majority have been free or $1.99 or less. There's a Facebook page I follow called Good free apps for kids.

Good luck choosing!
Good points. I can speak to the Innotab. It uses batteries. We were going through them very quickly and switched to rechargable batteries and it's much better now. Good point about the game cost as well. Not sure how much the iPad cost (thinking around $300). The gamesbooks for the Innotab are an average of $17 not on sale. I purchase them when they go on sale for $9.99 which seems to be a lot. Using those price points, I would have to purchase 22 games to make the price "comparable". My son has 5 and that is all he cares to have.

I think age is a good thing to keep in mind along with how many games you think they would want.

I went back and forth between LeapPad and Innotab and, in the end, I went with the less expensive Innotab as I know these electronics seems to be becoming "obsolete" so quickly!

Good luck with your decision, OP. You can try out both the Innotab and LeapPad at Target.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #17
jillianjigs7
DVC Member

When our DD turned 2 we got her, her own ipad. We do a lot of traveling so it made sense to spend the money on that with some great educational games, shows, etc. She loves it and it lets us have our iphones to ourselves!

jillianjigs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #18
mobesfamily
Mouseketeer

We started with the Mobigo when our twins were 2 1/2. They learned all their letters and where they are on a keyboard before they were 3. Last Christmas, just before they turned 4, we got them the Leapster Explorers which you can get recharging docks for so no batteries to change.
Hubby & I got ourselves IPads this past summer and the girls love to play on them but still play with the Explorers. We are probably going to get them the Leap Pad this Christmas which uses the same games as the Explorer.

1st trip EVER 10/2004 ASMo, Girls 1st trip 10/2012 AKL, 2/2013 AKL, 1/2014 BW & BLT

mobesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #19
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elleshoodat View Post
DS is about to turn 2, and he loves playing with our iPhones and my Kindle Fire. Usually DH and I are OK with it, but sometimes we want to "play" on our smartphones, too.

His birthday is coming up, and we'd love to be able to get him something that

A) comes with learning apps/has learning apps available;
B) he can watch videos on; and
C) hooks up to the Internet (less important).

Is there anything out there like that? I know LeapFrog has some handheld devices, but I'm not sure what they are capable of...

Thanks in advance!
Sounds like you've gotten a lot of good suggestions already. You might want to just consider getting him an iTouch, or waiting until one of you upgrade to a new iphone (next week? ) and let him just use your older version iphone. Pros: he already knows how to use it, and you already own the apps. It's just another option to consider...we've always given our kids our old devices when we upgrade. We get a new one and they get the old one and are thrilled to have one of their own.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #20
momof3ds
Mouseketeer

I would just get an iPod touch or an iPad (with a warranty and a good case)!

Apple sells refurbs on their website from time to time.
momof3ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #21
DisneyMaMato8
Earning My Ears

iPad/iPod protection

Have you seen the new cases by fisher price to protect iPods and iPads?
DisneyMaMato8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #22
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

We've been debating this too and finally decided to go with an Ipod Touch 4 and this case: griffin armored survivor case . (You have to watch the video! We can get a refurbed Ipod 4 for around $129, but i don't remember the website. Maybe they will be even cheaper now with the new models out.

We have both an ipad now and android phones and I think the aps on the ipad are way better, and tv content is way easier to purchase too. We may consider the 5th gen, but I think that's a bit out of our price range.

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
I survived a trip with MIL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040750
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
First trip with Magic Bands http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170056
Post Holiday Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201404
Non-Fancy Fanatics at VGF http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3268362
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV) || May '14 (VGF and Expedition Everest Challenge)
DisneyRegulars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #23
Mariep26
DIS Veteran

I bought a iPod Touch for each of my kids with an Otter Box case. It works out great for us.. and despite the initial investment, has been quite economical because there are plenty of low price or free apps available.
June 2010 - Swan & Dolphin, March 2012 - ASMo Toy Story room, December 8-15, 2012 - AoA Cars Suite, Feb 25 - Mar 1, 2013 - BLT LV Studio, May 9-13 - AoA Cars Suite, August 19-23, 2013 - BLT TPV Studio - Jax's 5th Birthday!!! - Nov 2-9, 2013 AoA Nemo - Oct 18-25, 2014 - Presley's 5th Birthday @ SSR 2brdm!!
Me: Marie, DH: Neil, DS: Jax , DD: Presley, D?: Baby #3 Due 12/20/14
Mariep26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #24
Habbott
Mouseketeer

But if the OP decided to go with an android style tablet like the Nabi, then it does even out pretty well. The Nabi is $200, but it comes with aps loaded on, it can have real movies on it (you can convert your own on a PC pretty easily). You can also buy aps in the google play store. To me, it's a better value overall. the good thing about the Nabi is that it has parental controls, unlike my iPads.

I did buy a fisher price iXL for my guy for Christmas. It was on clearance for $22 and I couldn't resist it. Since he doesnt get to hold the iPad on his lap in the car, I figured it would be a decent system (even if I can't buy any new games than the ones I bought on clearance).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgirl View Post

Good points. I can speak to the Innotab. It uses batteries. We were going through them very quickly and switched to rechargable batteries and it's much better now. Good point about the game cost as well. Not sure how much the iPad cost (thinking around $300). The gamesbooks for the Innotab are an average of $17 not on sale. I purchase them when they go on sale for $9.99 which seems to be a lot. Using those price points, I would have to purchase 22 games to make the price "comparable". My son has 5 and that is all he cares to have.

I think age is a good thing to keep in mind along with how many games you think they would want.

I went back and forth between LeapPad and Innotab and, in the end, I went with the less expensive Innotab as I know these electronics seems to be becoming "obsolete" so quickly!

Good luck with your decision, OP. You can try out both the Innotab and LeapPad at Target.
Habbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #25
momto3pirates
DIS Veteran

I got my niece a Nabi tablet for her 7th birthday last month. My sister said it has been the best thing ever. It has a lot of educational games and aps preloaded. It also has a lot of just for fun games preloaded. She can read books, watch movies and play games. It comes in a rubber case. Baby sister is 2 1/2 and loves it so much they might have to get a second one.
2005-Port Orleans Riverside
2006-summer-All Star Sports,Thanksgiving-AS Music
2007-Adults only anniversary trip-AKL
2008- summer PoP
2009-summer-AKV,MNSSHP-SSR
2010-summer at BLT,Thanksgiving at POP
2011-summer at BLT, Thanksgiving at GCH
2012-summer DLH, Thanksgiving-AKL-Jambo
2013-summer VGC, Thanksgiving-US/IOA
2014-summer VGC, Thanksgiving-AKL
momto3pirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #26
Happyjen27
DIS Veteran

Just buy the iPad. Most people who share devices with kids and buy the kid substiute STILL have to share their deviced with the kids.

If he likes an iPad, get him an iPad.

Dec 2012: Polynesian, my first trip
Dec 2013: Contemporary
2014: 2 Non-Disney trips planned, going to wait and see how this whole FP+ thing shakes out.
Happyjen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #27
Elleshoodat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbott View Post
I've had some more time to think about this, and I think there are a few things to consider to help you choose the right one for your kid.

First, battery life. Is it rechargeable? You don't want to be replacing batteries constantly.

Second, games or app cost. I prefer the iPad or an android model mostly because there are tons of free educational apps. I've purchased one or two pricey apps, but the majority have been free or $1.99 or less. There's a Facebook page I follow called Good free apps for kids.

Good luck choosing!
Thanks, and great points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapquitler View Post
Sounds like you've gotten a lot of good suggestions already. You might want to just consider getting him an iTouch, or waiting until one of you upgrade to a new iphone (next week? ) and let him just use your older version iphone. Pros: he already knows how to use it, and you already own the apps. It's just another option to consider...we've always given our kids our old devices when we upgrade. We get a new one and they get the old one and are thrilled to have one of their own.
That wouldn't be a bad idea, but neither of us is eligible for an upgrade until next year. Bummer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMaMato8 View Post
Have you seen the new cases by fisher price to protect iPods and iPads?
Yeah, we actually have one of those, but we also have Otterboxes for our phones so we don't use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRegulars View Post
We've been debating this too and finally decided to go with an Ipod Touch 4 and this case: griffin armored survivor case . (You have to watch the video! We can get a refurbed Ipod 4 for around $129, but i don't remember the website. Maybe they will be even cheaper now with the new models out.

We have both an ipad now and android phones and I think the aps on the ipad are way better, and tv content is way easier to purchase too. We may consider the 5th gen, but I think that's a bit out of our price range.
I agree -- in general, I find Apple to be more user-friendly than Android.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyjen27 View Post
Just buy the iPad. Most people who share devices with kids and buy the kid substiute STILL have to share their deviced with the kids.

If he likes an iPad, get him an iPad.
I would love to, but that isn't in our budget right now. Plus, Mommy doesn't even have an iPad yet!

Still reading reviews, but right now I'm leaning toward the Nabi or the Tabeo. A refurbished iPod touch would be nice, but I worry about his eyes looking at that small screen. (DH and I have horrible eyesight, and I'm sure we passed it on to DS.)

Thanks, everyone!

Thanksgiving 1988, Offsite * June 1991, Beach Club * Easter 1995, Dixie Landings * June 1999, All-Star Movies * Easter 2005, Offsite * September 2007, Caribbean Beach * October 2008, Lake Buena Vista Best Western * May 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * October 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * April 2010, Port Orleans French Quarter * May 2012, Port Orleans French Quarter (Read our trip report here!) * October 2013, Wilderness Lodge
Elleshoodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #28
hgeisler
DIS Veteran

Just got Nabis for my kids that are 2 and 4. They are awesome! They have tons of apps, books, and Laurie Berkner music(She's like my kid's crack). I also added Netflix on them so they can watch their shows It's well worth the money!
hgeisler is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: