Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
ekatiel
DIS Veteran

O/T: Where should we use our "free" United Club passes?

DH and I are going on a cruise on Saturday for our tenth anniversary . We are flying from IAH (Houston) to FLL (Ft. Lauderdale). I have two free United Club passes from opening up a credit card with them (to get the free miles ) a while back. I'd like to use them on this trip. I'm not sure which place would be better. Houston will be the bigger airport, so the club might be nicer , but we won't be in the airport in Houston for very long. In Ft. Lauderdale, on the way back, our flight isn't until 2:30pm, so we'll likely be in the airport a while. So, anyone familiar with the clubs-- where would be the best place to try it out? TIA! --Katie
Old 09-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
prncess674
DIS Veteran

None of the clubs are FABULOUS, just use the one where you will most likely need it. I am a UC member and try to minimize my time at my home airport, so be sure to ccheck your flight prior to departure. A perfect trip to me is one where I leave home in enough time to clear security and not fritter away time drinking bad wine and snacking on cheap cheese and crackers. If my options are enjoy thirty minutes at home or "free" glass of wine from a $5 bottle wine I know what choice I would make. Your choice may be different.

Th better option may be to sell the passes on eBay after your trip if all your flights are on time and use the money To take your wife out for cocktails on another night that doesn't involve an airport
prncess674 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
TexasTom
Earning My Ears

United's terminal at FLL is always packed with people who have just got off the ships and are waiting for their flight. There are a couple of restaurants and not much else. If I have to stay until 2 PM, the lounge would be a nice place to wait out.
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
ekatiel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by prncess674 View Post
None of the clubs are FABULOUS, just use the one where you will most likely need it. I am a UC member and try to minimize my time at my home airport, so be sure to ccheck your flight prior to departure. A perfect trip to me is one where I leave home in enough time to clear security and not fritter away time drinking bad wine and snacking on cheap cheese and crackers. If my options are enjoy thirty minutes at home or "free" glass of wine from a $5 bottle wine I know what choice I would make. Your choice may be different.

Th better option may be to sell the passes on eBay after your trip if all your flights are on time and use the money To take your wife out for cocktails on another night that doesn't involve an airport
Would someone really buy the suckers off eBay? --Katie
Old 09-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
ekatiel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
United's terminal at FLL is always packed with people who have just got off the ships and are waiting for their flight. There are a couple of restaurants and not much else. If I have to stay until 2 PM, the lounge would be a nice place to wait out.
That's a good point. FLL it is . I don't think we'd pay for this privilege, but a free drink is a free drink . We'll take it! --Katie
Old 09-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
prncess674
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekatiel View Post
Would someone really buy the suckers off eBay? --Katie
People buy them all the time. I would hold the and see if you are delayed with a long layover which makes the worth their while , otherwisec pocket them for selling later.
prncess674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #7
addicted2dizney
DIS Veteran

I have the presidential card and have used the lounges for years with Amex platinum before this card. I'd rec using the Houston lounge since it's a United, (former continental) hub so the lounge will be much bigger.

I've never been to the FLL one but some of the lounges in non hub cities can be the size of closets! I always get to my home airport, (newark, NJ) 2 hours ahead because ya just never know in Newark. So I like the large multiple choices of lounges my hub airport has. JMHO
addicted2dizney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

I would use these at the place with the longest wait. Just don't expect too much; I've been in many UA lounges and the domestic ones which your passes will get you into are nothing special.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/united-club-houston

Yes, people sell these passes all the time.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: