Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Flying with crochet hooks and supplies?

I did a search here but the most recent seemed to be 2010. I would like to take my crocheting with me when I fly up north. Are the hooks allowed these days? What about blunt end scissors and yarn needles? Has anyone had any recent experiences?
Old 09-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Phors, I found this http://www.purplekittyyarns.com/info/air-travel.html but you may want to check the TSA site, just to be sure.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I've seen people in the airport with knitting needles.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!

Yes -

FWIW the best place for this info is right from the TSA website at
tsa.gov
They have a section where you can search by name anything your concerned about and get an answer -

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm

I put in crochet needles and here is the response:
"You may place your knitting needles and needlepoint tools in carry-on or checked baggage.

Circular thread cutters or any other cutter or needlepoint tools that contain blades must be placed in checked baggage. You are permitted to keep scissors smaller than 4 inches in your carry-on baggage"

TJ
tjmw2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!

I just wanted to add that the rules are different for different countries. So, I'm not sure how far north you're going, but if you are headed to a different country, you should check the requirements for the country out of which you are flying.

For example, a few years ago we flew to Mexico. I was fine taking knitting needles and small scissors from the U.S. to Mexico. However, on the trip from Mexico to the U.S., different rules applied and I couldn't take the needles or scissors in my carry on.

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmw2727 View Post
Yes -

tsa.gov
They have a section where you can search by name anything your concerned about and get an answer -

"You may place your knitting needles and needlepoint tools in carry-on or checked baggage.

Circular thread cutters or any other cutter or needlepoint tools that contain blades must be placed in checked baggage. You are permitted to keep scissors smaller than 4 inches in your carry-on baggage"

I know I could check the TSA website, but I wanted to see if anyone had gone through security lately with the stuff and if they had any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
I just wanted to add that the rules are different for different countries. So, I'm not sure how far north you're going, but if you are headed to a different country, you should check the requirements for the country out of which you are flying.

For example, a few years ago we flew to Mexico. I was fine taking knitting needles and small scissors from the U.S. to Mexico. However, on the trip from Mexico to the U.S., different rules applied and I couldn't take the needles or scissors in my carry on.
No, not leaving the country. Just going to New Hampshire.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
lylone
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post

I had an experience in Mexico!!! The way there...no issue. On the way back they took a metal nail file from me! I guess they thought I would hijack a plane with it! I think a good rule is that to put it in your checked if you are unsure. Because there are inconsistancies for carry ons. My bare legs also got patted down in the same trip. I guess the large super scanner caught something wrong with my bare legs!
Old 09-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #8
Betty Rohrer
DIS Veteran

had no problems last year,2011, on either of your 2 trips. took knitting needles and small blunt scissors.
Betty Rohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #9
Tricx
Earning My Ears

I have taken a plastic crochet hook and a clover cutter (round pendant that has slots you cut the yarn). I have not had any problems with either. Both can be found at your local craft store.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:28 AM   #10
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

My DD has taken both knitting needles and crochet hooks and scissors with no problems.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:45 AM   #11
Muhlenberg
Clues! We want clues!
It's a small world after all It's a small world after all...
E / E
Tushy imprinting chair here

My mother took knitting needles and scissors when we flew in April and had no problems.

Next dream unknown...

CR 6/97 6/00 8/06 1/07 CBR 8/07 CR 1/08 BWV 8/08 SSR 1/09 AKV-K 9/09
BLT 2/10 THV 8/10 BWV 1/11 AKV-K 4/12 OKW 12/12 SSR 12/13

Muhlenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #12
MsHershey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhlenberg View Post
My mother took knitting needles and scissors when we flew in April and had no problems.
I'm so glad to read this. I'm flying for the first time this Saturday and am so happy I can take my knitting with me.

MsHershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #13
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmw2727 View Post
Yes -

tsa.gov

That rule about circular thread cutters must have changed in the last 5 years - probably when they allowed scissors with less than a 4" blade in your carryon. When we last flew (back in 2007 - we now drive to Disney), you couldn't bring any type of scissors but they allowed the thread cutters - in fact they were advertised as being TSA compliant.
Glad somebody brought this up so I won't make a mistake and lose my favorite thread cutter when we fly.
cruisingkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #14
iluveeyore
DVC Member - Disney is my second home!

I flew last year from Buffalo to Orlando, got my crochet hook (steel) through no problem, but I had foldable, tiny scissors that they confiscated. Now I pack those in my checked luggage. Only about an inch long, but I guess because they had sharp points it wasn't allowed.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: