Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #46
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran
 
tinkerpea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: RAF Henlow England
Posts: 2,106

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneg View Post
Do you mean 1.60? 1.70 is more than the interbank rate of 1.625
Sorry i did it from my Iphone app it was ment to be 1.57. from the post office
__________________


Me 28,DH 32,DS 10, DS"Twins"8
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #47
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran
 
tinkerpea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: RAF Henlow England
Posts: 2,106

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmumof2 View Post
It's 1.5740 for small change so 1.60 sounds right for £1000 :D

Slowly going up!! :D
I got 1.57-10 for £1021 I was hoping for 1.58 but oh well at least ive changed some for more then the 1.48 i got in 2010!!

I have another £1000 to change at the end of the month on payday so im really really hoping that the rate is 1.60 or higher!
We only have 1 CC and i paid my flights on that and we dont use it for anything other then paying flights off

I was thinking about getting a Post office card BUT we really actually enjoy having most of it in cash and then having it in daily amounts which everyday that any is left over we then pop into our blow out pile for the end of the holiday
__________________


Me 28,DH 32,DS 10, DS"Twins"8
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #48
Disneynutinlondon
It's been such a blast with all the lurkers and fluffing
I seem to be whitering on in a constant stream of random thoughts
I think I'll just go with the small one
 
Disneynutinlondon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North London. U.K.
Posts: 4,192

Best Foreign Exchange is showing $1.61 if anyone is interested

http://www.bestforeignexchange.com/E...ange-rates.php
__________________
Isabel
Disneynutinlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #49
fairytale
DIS Veteran
 
fairytale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Too far from Disney
Posts: 1,026

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerpea View Post

I was thinking about getting a Post office card BUT we really actually enjoy having most of it in cash and then having it in daily amounts which everyday that any is left over we then pop into our blow out pile for the end of the holiday
Thats me too

Annette x
__________________
fairytale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #50
Disneynutinlondon
It's been such a blast with all the lurkers and fluffing
I seem to be whitering on in a constant stream of random thoughts
I think I'll just go with the small one
 
Disneynutinlondon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North London. U.K.
Posts: 4,192

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerpea View Post

I was thinking about getting a Post office card BUT we really actually enjoy having most of it in cash and then having it in daily amounts which everyday that any is left over we then pop into our blow out pile for the end of the holiday
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairytale View Post
Thats me too

Annette x
Thats me three
__________________
Isabel
Disneynutinlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #51
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran
 
tinkerpea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: RAF Henlow England
Posts: 2,106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneynutinlondon View Post
Thats me three
I know there is just something incredibly satisfying about seeing that MONEY!!!
Even more so when you keep having some left over each day not that it stays that way we never come home with more then about 20 dollars
__________________


Me 28,DH 32,DS 10, DS"Twins"8
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #52
Disneynutinlondon
It's been such a blast with all the lurkers and fluffing
I seem to be whitering on in a constant stream of random thoughts
I think I'll just go with the small one
 
Disneynutinlondon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North London. U.K.
Posts: 4,192

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerpea View Post
I know there is just something incredibly satisfying about seeing that MONEY!!!
Even more so when you keep having some left over each day not that it stays that way we never come home with more then about 20 dollars
OMG are you sure you don't have some king of spy camera hidden in my bag as thats EXACTLY us No matter how much we take be it $2000 or $5000 I only ever seem to bring a few bits of loose change home
__________________
Isabel
Disneynutinlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #53
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things
 
wayneg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dewsbury, UK
Posts: 22,844
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerpea View Post
I got 1.57-10 for £1021 I was hoping for 1.58 but oh well at least ive changed some for more then the 1.48 i got in 2010!!

I have another £1000 to change at the end of the month on payday so im really really hoping that the rate is 1.60 or higher!
We only have 1 CC and i paid my flights on that and we dont use it for anything other then paying flights off

I was thinking about getting a Post office card BUT we really actually enjoy having most of it in cash and then having it in daily amounts which everyday that any is left over we then pop into our blow out pile for the end of the holiday
Just check your insurance, some policies only cover as little as £100 in cash. Being a Yorkshireman I find nothing at all satisfying spending money, far better for me if I use a card and don't see it all disappearing Plus I usually get 5 or 6 cents/£ better rate and I don't have to pay it until a month after I return, the longer I keep it the better
__________________
  • 1993Travelodge Maingate East,1997Holiday Inn Nikki Bird,1999Sheraton 4 Points/Clearwater Hilton, 2000(Xmas) Disney’s ASMo
  • 2001Travelodge Maingate East, 2002 NYC Crowne Plaza Times Sq./Orlando Sheraton World Resort 2003(Aug) La Quinta Lakeside
  • 2003(Oct) Disney Wonder +Raddison Parkway2004(Oct) Disney Magic + Homewood Suites, 2004(Xmas) Hilton DTD
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #54
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran
 
tinkerpea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: RAF Henlow England
Posts: 2,106

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneg View Post
Just check your insurance, some policies only cover as little as £100 in cash. Being a Yorkshireman I find nothing at all satisfying spending money, far better for me if I use a card and don't see it all disappearing Plus I usually get 5 or 6 cents/£ better rate and I don't have to pay it until a month after I return, the longer I keep it the better
Well when im at home I dont really use cash at all! BUT when on holiday thats a whole different ball game!
It not the spending of the cash that i enjoy its actually seeing what i have left over each day out of the daily budget that thrills me as then I get all happy thinking about how much will be left at the end to buy all the stuff with!

We rarely buy as we go along we normally get it all a few days before we leave and so I love knowing that a ton of dollars are left over for me to play with

Ill check my insurance we are with the postoffice so ill have a little look.
__________________


Me 28,DH 32,DS 10, DS"Twins"8
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:00 AM   #55
madmumof2
DIS Veteran
 
madmumof2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Born in Leicester, live in Rutland
Posts: 1,973

I don't spend money at all at home, it's all on the cards, but in Florida you're right there's something satisfying having cash!

I love the smell of dollars and having some on me is a necessity there.

I have most of our money on my travel cards but I do have $500 cash as well for tolls, tips etc :D
__________________
Mum-27 Dad - 28 Big boy-9 Princess-7 Baby boy - 2!



Oct 2012 - 2 weeks Southern Dunes+1 night at the Hard Rock Hotel!
Oct 2009 - 2 weeks Pop Century
Jan 2000 - 2 weeks Ramada Inn International Drive
Oct/Nov 1995 - 5 weeks Lindfields Villa, Kissimmee
madmumof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:49 AM   #56
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things
 
wayneg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dewsbury, UK
Posts: 22,844
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerpea View Post
Ill check my insurance we are with the postoffice so ill have a little look.
Depends which policy you have. They do 3 levels

Basic - no cover
Classic - £250 with £60 excess
Premium - £300 with £45 excess
__________________
  • 1993Travelodge Maingate East,1997Holiday Inn Nikki Bird,1999Sheraton 4 Points/Clearwater Hilton, 2000(Xmas) Disney’s ASMo
  • 2001Travelodge Maingate East, 2002 NYC Crowne Plaza Times Sq./Orlando Sheraton World Resort 2003(Aug) La Quinta Lakeside
  • 2003(Oct) Disney Wonder +Raddison Parkway2004(Oct) Disney Magic + Homewood Suites, 2004(Xmas) Hilton DTD
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #57
Tinkerpeas hubby
Mouseketeer
 
Tinkerpeas hubby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneg

Depends which policy you have. They do 3 levels

Basic - no cover
Classic - £250 with £60 excess
Premium - £300 with £45 excess
Just found out that all out money is covered by RAF insurance we only have the post office one as it was cheaper to have buy the family insurance with the kids rather then just insure the boys!
DH said that he has kit insurance cover which covers any loss of money when out of the UK
__________________
Your Jedi mind tricks won't work on me Mickey.

Moi (31): dw (27): B (10) Ant (7): Avatar (7):
Tinkerpeas hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:12 AM   #58
Tinkerpeas hubby
Mouseketeer
 
Tinkerpeas hubby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneg View Post
Depends which policy you have. They do 3 levels

Basic - no cover
Classic - £250 with £60 excess
Premium - £300 with £45 excess
With the excess waiver, premium family annual travel to the US we are covered upto £750 cash!

If we get into trouble we can go to the UK Emabassey for assistance!

Two weeks on Monday!!
__________________
Your Jedi mind tricks won't work on me Mickey.

Moi (31): dw (27): B (10) Ant (7): Avatar (7):
Tinkerpeas hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:51 AM   #59
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things
 
wayneg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dewsbury, UK
Posts: 22,844
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerpeas hubby View Post
With the excess waiver, premium family annual travel to the US we are covered upto £750 cash!

If we get into trouble we can go to the UK Emabassey for assistance!

Two weeks on Monday!!
Post Office Premuim policy?
You are covered upto £750 for cash & documents but a limit of £300 for cash. Thats the policy I have.
Details on page 32:
http://www.postoffice.co.uk/sites/de...online_tag.pdf

I used to take cash myself but after losing my wallet at East Midlands airport with over £500 in I prefer to stick to cards now, at least if I lose mine Karen has more but we all have our own preferred ways, go with what you are happiest with, 2 weeks will be here in no time.
__________________
  • 1993Travelodge Maingate East,1997Holiday Inn Nikki Bird,1999Sheraton 4 Points/Clearwater Hilton, 2000(Xmas) Disney’s ASMo
  • 2001Travelodge Maingate East, 2002 NYC Crowne Plaza Times Sq./Orlando Sheraton World Resort 2003(Aug) La Quinta Lakeside
  • 2003(Oct) Disney Wonder +Raddison Parkway2004(Oct) Disney Magic + Homewood Suites, 2004(Xmas) Hilton DTD
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:43 AM   #60
Tinkerpeas hubby
Mouseketeer
 
Tinkerpeas hubby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneg View Post
Post Office Premuim policy?
You are covered upto £750 for cash & documents but a limit of £300 for cash. Thats the policy I have.
Details on page 32:
http://www.postoffice.co.uk/sites/de...online_tag.pdf

I used to take cash myself but after losing my wallet at East Midlands airport with over £500 in I prefer to stick to cards now, at least if I lose mine Karen has more but we all have our own preferred ways, go with what you are happiest with, 2 weeks will be here in no time.
Correct, Post Office Premium Policy, I must stipulate that it's the annual, as appose to single trip!

£750 spending money, documents i.e passports is £500!
__________________
Your Jedi mind tricks won't work on me Mickey.

Moi (31): dw (27): B (10) Ant (7): Avatar (7):
Tinkerpeas hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.