Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
ejrj
DIS Veteran

Fav TS restaurant for ACTIVE toddlers?

Hello!

My girls will be 4, 2 & 2 on our visit. My twin 23 months olds are ACTIVE and not the best restaurant goers. We are working on it...'it' is a painful waste of money,time & food .

Getting an 'Ohana res was important to me as it strikes me like it will be good choice for us - sit down but lots of opportunity for getting up, music & fast service of food. What other restaurants did you find worked well with your feisty toddlers?
Old 09-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
ktlm
DIS Veteran

Biergarten. When DD was little she loved watching the German Band and getting out on the dance floor and dancing during the show (still does at age 6). You can get a little energy out of them during the show. It is a buffet, so there is no wait for food. DD was a picky eater and we always found plenty she would eat there.
ktlm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
nickymaria
Mouseketeer

Most of the character meals are pretty chaotic and some active toddlers would COMPLETELY blend in! Like Chef Mickey's, Crystal Palace, Akershus, H&V, 1900 PF, etc. Most buffets are just inherently chaotic. Places like Whispering Canyon and 50's PT can be a little rambunctious. I would avoid most signature restaurants, they can sometime be a bit more quiet - though when we went to California Grille over Spring Break last year it, too, was fairly loud. When you're in Disney there will be active kids EVERYWHERE you go short of Victoria & Albert's. So it's really more up to what you want - will you be self-conscious if your kids are running around? Will it bother you if they're bothering others (or even if they're just being nutty?) - If so, then schedule fewer sit-down meals. If not, then go ahead and eat everywhere your heart desires! It's Disney so people will be used to kids all over the place - that is part of the fun!!
04/1998 - CBR, 05/2006 - Off site, 11/2008 - SSR, 1/2010 - BCV, 12/2010 - AKL, 3/2011 - Dolphin, 11/2011 - CBR, 3/2012 - BLT & BWV, 10/2012 - AoA & WL, 2/2013 - Off site (boo!), 4/2013 Disneyland, 11/2013 - BCV, 3/2013 Cruised the Wonder!

No current ticker, but hoping for a 3/2105 Fantasy Cruise...
nickymaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
ejrj
DIS Veteran

We don't plan to do very many ts, but I do want to do a few. Right now I have 'Ohana, CP (mostly for early MK/Main street) and BOG. BOG will be pushing it but I really wanted to experience it. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing an obvious choice.

Thank you both!

Oh, and we will be doing CG but that is on our night that the grandparents are staying in room with the kids! If I'm going to a sig, I plan to be able to eat my dinner dangit!
Old 09-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
ejrj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktlm View Post
Biergarten. When DD was little she loved watching the German Band and getting out on the dance floor and dancing during the show (still does at age 6). You can get a little energy out of them during the show. It is a buffet, so there is no wait for food. DD was a picky eater and we always found plenty she would eat there.
Thanks KTLM. That was exactly the train of thought answer I was looking for.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:00 AM   #6
NoahsMommy3
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejrj View Post
Hello!

My girls will be 4, 2 & 2 on our visit. My twin 23 months olds are ACTIVE and not the best restaurant goers. We are working on it...'it' is a painful waste of money,time & food .

Getting an 'Ohana res was important to me as it strikes me like it will be good choice for us - sit down but lots of opportunity for getting up, music & fast service of food. What other restaurants did you find worked well with your feisty toddlers?
We enjoyed Tusker House! Much like Ohana's, the characters start a "dance train" with small musical instruments. Doesn't last too terribly long but long enough for a little ones to get up, move around & have fun! Our son was 3 the first time we went & he has requested we go back to it during this years trip!

Me (29)
DH (34)
DS (2)
NoahsMommy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #7
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickymaria View Post
Most of the character meals are pretty chaotic and some active toddlers would COMPLETELY blend in! Like Chef Mickey's, Crystal Palace, Akershus, H&V, 1900 PF
We've done Crystal Palace, Akershus, 1900 Park Faire, and Chef Mickey's. Chef Mickey's was by far the most chaotic. I wouldn't have considered any of the others at all chaotic.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #8
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

I know it gets mixed reviews, but we enjoyed the food. We had breakfast at Hollywood and Vine at DHS. There are several opportunities to get up and dance during the meal. When they say play and dine they mean it. They play each character’s theme song and allow the children to get up and dance. My 9 year-old dd was a really good sport about dancing to the Jake and the Netherland Pirates song to get the younger children involved. She even helped lead the conga line. She said she did it for ds, wanted to be a good big sister since he sat through two princess meals earlier in the trip. Later after several pictures she blurted out, “I still like them okay?!”

Here’s my ds dancing to the Handy Manny theme song.

And here he is in the conga line.

I followed him to make sure he didn't take off across the restaurant, but he stayed in line and I didn't have any trouble getting him to return to his seat.

June 2012: Going with the flow with Tropical Storm Debby TR (1st 5 days): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2953583
June 2013: Our Disney World Road Trip TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3137685
May 2014: Best trip yet. Working on the TR
luvmy2babies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

I would stick to CS until your kids are old enough to handle TS.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
Marsheliz
DIS Veteran

I second Tusker House. Loved the music and the dancing and such. Lawson got up and danced and I didnt mind at all and didnt seem to bother anyone else. We are doing Hollywood and Vine as well this time so I am looking forward to seeing how that is.

No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep believing.. The dreams that you dream... Really do come true....

April 2005- Offsite.. My now DH's first time
December 2005- Offsite ( ENGAGED at MK)
December 2007- Offsite ( Pregnant with Lawson)
February 2011-All Star Sport ( Pregnant with Landen)
September 2012- 1 night @ POFQ
September 2012- 3 nights @ AOA
October 2013- Caribbean Beach Resort
June 2014- Weekend Surprise at Port Orleans Riverside!

October 2013 TR- http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3207813
Marsheliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #11
Lindana
Earning My Ears

Another vote for Hollywood and Vine! We had one of the best character meals there. DD loved the Disney Jr. characters and they really took time to interact with her. It's also aimed at a younger audience, so active toddlers are definitely not out of place.

For a counter service restaurant, our favorite is Cosmic Ray's in Tomorrowland. There's an audio-animatronic alien called Sunny Eclipse there who sings and tells corny jokes. It's great for kids to have something to watch while waiting for the food, and often kids will get up and dance near the "stage."
Old 09-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
lukikam
Mouseketeer

Whispering Canyon, for sure!! Where else can you yell for ketchup and ride stick horses around the restaurant?
Old 09-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #13
hgeisler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktlm
This!
hgeisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #14
ghtx
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by okeydokey View Post
I would stick to CS until your kids are old enough to handle TS.
Disagree. And I agree with the majority of the PPs who say that "active" toddlers are common and accepted at nearly all of the WDW TS restaurants. In fact, WDW is a great place to introduce toddlers and young kids to dining at good restaurants.

The only exceptions would be, of course, V&A, and maybe some of the list of "signature" restaurants with a dress code: http://www.wdwinfo.com/tips_for_tour...htm#Restaurant. Even among most of these kids would be welcome. Have fun!
Old 09-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #15
BubMunkeyBles
DIS Veteran

My kids are usually best at Garden Grill. We usually get to see each character a couple times and they bring the food to the table. Servers have always been great.

Ohana's is usually pretty good, unless there is a long wait. We waited almost an hour after reservation time and then were at the end of the character line, we were all miserable by the end.

Biergarten is great for kids and my two enjoy it.

Sometimes buffets can be overwhelming but generally okay. One of us goes and gets the food while staying with the kids. Then we both take turns getting food.

December 3-9, 2014- SSR and BWV
BubMunkeyBles is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: