Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #11
mytripsandraces
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
Actually, this is something that has been documented. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have read about it before in a book as well as spoke with someone at Disney Studios/Archives two years ago during my ABD trip. Walt specifically said that he did not want alcohol in either MKs. Club 33 was made the exception in DL due to its being a private club that is not open to the public. Florida's MK, though, does not have such a venue and all of the park was meant to stay "dry." This tradition has been in place since it opened in 1971.
Which book? I haven't been able to find anything about Walt Disney's determination to keep alcohol out of the Magic Kingdom in Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
"Times and conditions change so rapidly that we must keep our aim constantly focused on the future."

Walt Disney

Walt's ideas would have evolved.

Stranding his ideas in 1966 (or before) does a disservice to his legacy of forward thinking.
I totally agree, Kevin. I am not a drinker and don't drink wine or beer at all, so don't see a need for alcohol in the Magic Kingdom, but I'm not going to base my opinion on the perceived wishes of a man who has been dead for almost 45 years, especially a man who made his fortune through sales. He would most definitely have revisited the issue over the years. If he weren't interested in continual growth and improvement in the parks, they would look very different. If he had wanted the Florida Magic Kingdom to be just a copy of the original Disneyland, the castle would be a lot shorter!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: