Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #16
ronDisney
the Ron of RonnMel

bom_noite:
I hear ya about the pace. There's a slow moving ride, and then there's SLOOOOW moving ride. LOL!! Yeah...maybe a bit faster on the transitions. Maybe even add some new tech so that there's a bit of effect on the ride vehicle. Like maybe a moving bridge ala Safari at AK. The train just sits on it, and the "bridge" just kinda shakes or moves or something.

Not a big fan of the actor interactivity of GMR. No cheesy jokes like Jungle cruise or safari, just a worn out skit. Maybe the ride could do with a pre-recorded voice over, while you pass the scenes.

I'm actually a big fan of the COP myself. I LOVE the calming effect of it. Reminds me a lot of the way I feel when I ride Spaceship Earth at Epcot.
HENRY!!!! LOL!!! And they tend to update it just a bit every now and again. Gotta love grandma kickin' butt at that new-fangled VR game, while the turkey gets burnt to a crisp cause of some voice activated oven. LOL!!!

That being said, I suppose I can understand the reluctance of some to never change the attraction. Guess everyone's up for change as long as it's not on one of their favorite attractions.
ronDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #17
bom_noite
DVC-Trivia Contest - April, 2006: 3rd Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronDisney View Post
bom_noite:
I hear ya about the pace. There's a slow moving ride, and then there's SLOOOOW moving ride. LOL!! Yeah...maybe a bit faster on the transitions. Maybe even add some new tech so that there's a bit of effect on the ride vehicle. Like maybe a moving bridge ala Safari at AK. The train just sits on it, and the "bridge" just kinda shakes or moves or something.
Dude - have ridden it twice - both times I walked away thinking me and my neighbors could build this thing in the Elementary School Gym!
bom_noite is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #18
WaltDaddy
Earning My Ears

Love the GMR, agree that it could use some updating though! And the CM actors leave much to be desired....their talent is lacking and it takes away from the experience...

Officially addicted to everything WDW

Trips to WDW:
April 2008 (Star Island), September 2009 (BLT), June 2010 (Wilderness Lodge Villas). Aug 2010 (AS Sports)Nov. 2010 (Bonnet Creek), May 2011 (BLT), July 2011 (Coronado Springs), November 2011 (Port Orleans RS/Coronado Springs), September 2012 (Coronado Spgs/Art of Animation), March/April 2013 (Port Orleans RS), September 2013 (Coronado Spgs)

WaltDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #19
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

Nothing (outside of updating the AAs and the finale movie). I like the scenes that are already there
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #20
PrinceOfPeace
Mouseketeer

I personally don't care too much for the ride....I say make it a "family" ride to include little ones as well...and not the scary stuff....aliens, etc. And make it a great 'disney' movie ride...put in the classics like 'polyanna''mary poppins', etc.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #21
Magic Fanatic
Mouseketeer

Let me appologize up front just in case I offend any women with this post. I have always enjoyed this ride but when we last rode in June, it was absolutely terrible. The role of the mobster that takes control of the car was played by a female cast member. It absolutely killed the theming and feel of the ride. Not to mention that the young lady playing the part seemed very uncomfortable with the role. The entire ride and casting has become very "tired" in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I like the ride and don't wish to see it reinvented, but it is in dire need of a refresh with an updated scenario for the in ride gags. Again, I apologize if I offended the ladies, but the gangster role is a male role ( In my opinion).
May 2014 - Disney Fantasy May 2013 - Disney Dream Dec 2012 - Ft Wilderness June 2012 - Wilderness Lodge April 2010 - Wilderness Lodge Dec 2009 - Ft Wilderness May 2009 - Old Key West Aug 2008 - Ft Wilderness Mar 2008 - Disney Magic Dec 2007 - Ft Wilderness Feb 2007 - Animal Kingdom April 2006 - Disney Magic Dec 2005 - Wilderness Lodge Mar 2005 - Wilderness Lodge Dec 2004 - Caribbean Beach Aug 2003 Caribbean Beach June 2002 - Port Orleans Oct 1009 - All Star Music
Magic Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #22
Friendly Frog
DIS veteran with a mouse on her back.

Keeping the alien scene is a must for me. My favorite part was when the alien dropped down from the roof nearly on top of the guests, it's a shame they took that out. They seriously need to get rid of the worn out spills expecially the gangster. It would be better with no speil at all and talk about the movies. I am all for allowing cast members to create adlibs. That is usually better than a rehearsed spiel.

I think at the end there should be a place where you could pay to have a DVD made putting yourself in your favorite movie scene. The technology is here now to be able to do it at a reasonable cost, it would just be a matter of copyright purchases. Can you picture yourself in that famous Casa Blanca scene standing by the plane? Perhaps have all your kids appear as munchkins in The Wizard of Oz?
Friendly Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #23
Joanna71985
Characters are my friendsSuper CP to the rescue!
I was mostly in Fantasyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Fanatic View Post
Let me appologize up front just in case I offend any women with this post. I have always enjoyed this ride but when we last rode in June, it was absolutely terrible. The role of the mobster that takes control of the car was played by a female cast member. It absolutely killed the theming and feel of the ride. Not to mention that the young lady playing the part seemed very uncomfortable with the role. The entire ride and casting has become very "tired" in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I like the ride and don't wish to see it reinvented, but it is in dire need of a refresh with an updated scenario for the in ride gags. Again, I apologize if I offended the ladies, but the gangster role is a male role ( In my opinion).
Aw, I'm sorry you feel that way. But personally, I'm glad they have female gangsters (as it's one of my favorite things to do at GMR).
Aug 1998- POR March 2003- HS band trip (offsite) Aug 2003- POR Jan 12-Aug 5, 2005: CP Jan 1-5, 2006: AS Sports (solo) May 24, 2006- Jan 5, 2007: CP Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007: Solo (offsite) March 1-3, 2007: Dad+me (offsite) May 16-Aug 10, 2007: CP Aug 10-12, 2007: GF May 21-Aug 15, 2008: CP Aug 15-18, 2008: AKL March 25-29, 2009 (offsite) Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: CP Jan 3-May 14, 2010: CP May 16, 2010~ FT Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012 Fantasy: Oct 20-27, 2012 (East) Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013 Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014 Dream: 3-6, 2014 (for now)
Joanna71985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #24
rolliev60
Mouseketeer

I think at the end there should be a place where you could pay to have a DVD made putting yourself in your favorite movie scene. The technology is here now to be able to do it at a reasonable cost, it would just be a matter of copyright purchases. Can you picture yourself in that famous Casa Blanca scene standing by the plane? Perhaps have all your kids appear as munchkins in The Wizard of Oz?[/QUOTE]

I love that idea. I would love to see myself as the Wicked Witch!
rolliev60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #25
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

Star wars scene
lotr scene
indiana jones scene
Before that too many to list
!

SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
xipotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #26
rdearth
Ears Earned

I would demolish the whole thing and start over.

Okay, maybe I wouldn't go to that extreme, but I'm definitely not one that enjoys this ride....and I LOVE movies and movie history.

As I see it, the first problem was that someone had some idea early on in the planning stage that they needed a guide to kind of replicate the success of the MK Jungle Cruise. But, for whatever reason, those corny Jungle Safari jokes always seem to work and the GMR jokes just don't. And I don't think it's always the case that it's the guide not being good at it, or even the material. I think it's more a problem of subject matter. No matter what kind of movie you like, everyone agrees that movies are cool. Corny jokes and stereotypical characters are what the worst movies are made of, not something that should be showcased as Hollywood's success.

A Great Movie Ride should either showcase the best ever movies (and just great Disney movies would be fine with me), or somehow make attendees feel like they are IN the great movies. A GREAT Movie Ride would do both.

I guess I would rather see a short history of film. Start in the queue area with silent films, etc. Then get on the ride, but have the ride take you through popular sets, but also have large screens incorporated that show more movie history. Add a host on screen like they do with Figment or Ellen's Energy. Maybe a treasured Disney character could be the host or even someone like Kurt Russell. Have some simulations that makes the ridegoers feel like they're flying through hyperspace or other great, recognizable scenes from movies.

OR, instead of going through movie history, have the car ride through different genres of film. So, you start with Drama, move to Comedy, enter War, then Animation, then Science Fiction, etc.

Last edited by rdearth; 09-17-2012 at 01:08 PM.
rdearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #27
DisneyDetective
DIS Veteran

As long as they don't Disneyise them ride, I'm quite happy for an update of the ride however I would like there to be a constant reminder of the classics that changed cinema.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #28
Disco
Hail Eris!

My idea would have been to give the entire ride an Aliens theme. I'm not sure if they have the rights to Aliens or just Alien though?
Replace the cars with replicas of the tank (APC) from the second movie. Have them opened topped with Pulse Rifles mounted off the sides for an interactive shooting experience ala Buzz Space Rangers.
Re-enact the tank fleeing the power plant scene in Aliens with the music blaring tank crunching Alien heads action. Aliens jumping and popping out everywhere with everyone in the tanks blasting away with their guns.
Ah, the perfect ride... It would need an age limit though.
Just not sure what to do with the exterior? The theater is really nice but it would be kinda weird internal difference. Maybe they can make a new side entrance and keep the theater portion up front so they can play classic movies?
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #29
rdearth
Ears Earned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
My idea would have been to give the entire ride an Aliens theme. I'm not sure if they have the rights to Aliens or just Alien though?
Replace the cars with replicas of the tank (APC) from the second movie. Have them opened topped with Pulse Rifles mounted off the sides for an interactive shooting experience ala Buzz Space Rangers.
Re-enact the tank fleeing the power plant scene in Aliens with the music blaring tank crunching Alien heads action. Aliens jumping and popping out everywhere with everyone in the tanks blasting away with their guns.
Ah, the perfect ride... It would need an age limit though.
Just not sure what to do with the exterior? The theater is really nice but it would be kinda weird internal difference. Maybe they can make a new side entrance and keep the theater portion up front so they can play classic movies?
But then you would just have The Great Alien Ride.

Don't get me wrong, I love (most of) the Alien movies, but I don't think I would even consider it one of the GREAT movies of all time...unless you're just limiting your choices to sci-fi or horror.

And it should tell Disney something that the only thing people recall about this ride is the small part with the Alien and the hokey parts with either the Gangster or Western scenes.

Ask yourself this, or ask family and friends, how much do you remember about the Jungle Cruise? Describe the different things that happen or what the guide says. Then ask them to describe the Great Movie Ride and what happens. The Great Movie Ride is utterly forgettable.

I'm typically not one of those people that call for changes to Disney stuff because I think a lot of that stems from people going to Disney so much that they're bored with it. They forget that for many people, it's all new to them, BUT The Great Movie Ride is a disaster on first viewing, or at least a missed golden opportunity that could be SO much better.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #30
MHSweb79
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well, my first reaction was going to be that it's fine as it is (not "great" but fine enough) and if they just replaced the Alien section with something else, that would be change enough for me.
That makes two of us. "This could be the start of a beautiful friendship!"

I just don't think the Alien/s series is classic enough to be included. I like the Star Wars idea and also Psycho. The ride is supposed to be a homage to classic Hollywood (as is the entire park) so it gets tricky when you are trying to decide on which modern movies to include. Will they stand the test of time?

When the Studios was built, the Great Movie Ride was supposed to be the super headliner for the park. How times have changed!
MHSweb79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: