Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #466
mskayjay
They were sooooo good I had um.....a few.....okay fine.....several!
I have the coolest memories of going on that ride over and over with my cousin

Hi WISHERS! Merry Monday morning to everyone! Hope this turns out to be the week I finally land a great job. Much as I love the freedom of not working, this is getting a little old at this point!

Catching up on old questions....I hate fish and seafood of all types! Grew up on Long Island and we had to eat it all the time and I just can't stand it! I will catch it, clean it, and cook it for you but I am not eating it! lol

Peace and Tranquility....I think that is like trying to catch water in a net. You can't seek it out, you have to just let it happen. It's like most people who try yoga or meditation....it is amazing how hard you have to work at relaxing! I think peace and tranquility comes from doing what you love and making the time for just that be it reading, gardening, or going for a run. The P&T I feel when I get to that incredible place of exhaustion and then just push through to the runner's high is just unreal! I feel like that when I go out for the day to do photography or when I get lost in a great book. For some it is found in their daily prayers. Is it part of this journey? It should be part of our lives but I think its important to not make it one more item on our "to do" list. Let it just happen and also realize that it really happens more in our day to day lives than we realize.

I was awful this weekend with a houseload of company and a list of related events to attend throughout the weekend. Dinners out, cocktails like a fiend, and then the dreaded bagels....one of my guests always brings Long Island bagels when he comes up and I resisted until yesterday morning when I was feeling a bit quesy from the cocktails the night before. OMG I had forgotten how great a perfectly toasted bagel with butter tastes! DH will be taking all of the leftover ones to work with him as I simply can't have them in the house. lol Our weather here is beautiful again so I'm going to go hit one of the parks and get in a good walk/run and then hit the markets for some healthy eats! Have good one!

Golf Resort (SOG now!)1974*Polynesian Resort 1976* Off site 1990*Tree House Villas 1992*Caribbean Beach Resort 1998*Off site 2004*Animal Kingdom Lodge 2006*Wilderness Lodge 2008*Wilderness Lodge 2009*Wilderness Lodge 2010*Animal Kingdom Villas 2011* Wilerness Lodge Villas 2011*
mskayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #467
luvpoohandcompany
DIS Veteran

qotd When I'm feeling stressed I try to do the breathing exercises taught to me many moons ago at antenatal classes. You know the ones -basically deep breathing as a way of coping with contractions. Personally I find them more useful now (etinox did a much better job for me during labour)! They really do help me stay calm once I remember to actually do them though I have also been known to go outside and dig in the garden if I'm feeling angry about something and that works too
luvpoohandcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #468
bigsis1970
Eating and Drinking our way around the Food & Wine Festival Sept 26 - Oct 4 2014. Loves being Hunny to the Hubs. On the way to losing 1/3 of myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksLilWench View Post
Good Sunday Morning everyone! Sorry I'm late with replies and posting the QOTD. I caught a bug last week and it is really starting to wear me down Now I think it's taking away my voice! I may have to call it the Ursula germ, lol. Thankfully I can still type! So onto the QOTD!

Today we're on to...

Norway! A big part of Norway's cuisine is fish- being an "island", it makes sense! I love fish of all kinds- salmon, tilapia, trout, etc. Plus it's so healthy for you, and can be really easy to prepare, which leads to my question...

What is your favorite way to prepare your fish? Do you even like fish? Do you have a recipe you'd like to share? We'd love to hear it!

I'll be back later tonight with replies and maybe even my own recipe!
Aww hope your feeling better... I do like the mild tasting fish and I like shrimp (not scollops, clams or lobster) being from Maine people find that odd.. I like to put mine in a small pan sprayed with pam drizzled with a bit of butter and some lemon juice and breadcrumbs (or ritz cracker crumbs) but I mostly buy frozen filets - Sea Cuisine I think it is has a great tortilla crusted one and this week I am going to try the Thank Goodness Lemon Pepper Pacific Cod next. Oh and I love the Gorton's grilled or scampi frozen shrimp in the bag

Quote:
So technically, I'm posting this early. But I have to be up way early to be at work early (gotta make that extra spending money for my trip in just 11 Days!!!!) so I'm gonna cheat just a smidge and post the QOTD already

Today, our journey takes us to...

China!

One of the biggest aspects in Chinese culture is peace, tranquility, and balance. The yin and the yang. The Chinese are believers in feng shui, the idea that the objects in your life and home can be balanced to create positive energy. I'm not sure I entirely buy into the belief, but balance and peace are very important to me and my journey to wellness and goal.

QOTD Monday 9/17: Do you believe that peace and tranquility are a big part of your journey? Do you have a way to get ahold of that peace and use it to your advantage? Maybe you wake up 15 minutes before everyone else and get centered for the day. It may be that you find your tranquility by sleeping those extra 15 minutes

I'll be back after work tomorrow with your replies. I can't wait to hear all about where you find your balance!
Well I am a Libra and believe that balance and harmony rule my world.. I don't do anything special, the right time just finds me sometimes that means I get a few quiet mins to thumb thru a catalog or read a few chapters on my kindle or a scrapbooking day with some friends i've not seen in a long while..

Our family: Me - Michelle & DH - The Hubs DD -Princess B DS - Buddy Welcome home Hunny 11/26/13

Will our ponchos hold up Holy Rain !! 8D/9D for the Food & Wine 9/26-10/4 2014! OMG I went 3 Times in 2012 !!
Trip #1 With DD 4/7-4/14 2012!! Trip #2 With Work 4/29 - 5/2 2012!! Trip #3 Just Me & Hubs! Hubs 1st Trip 5/2 -5/7 2012 !!
Homeowners = 8/18/2011
R.I.P ( Race In Peace)Uncle Bub 06/05/2010 /Bandit RIP 4/1/1997 - 10/2/2013 / Copper RIP 2/1/2001 -9/23/2011/XO miss you all
bigsis1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #469
jillbur
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz5985 View Post
Hey everyone!!! My name is Janis, I live a little north of Boston with my DH of 27 years Joe and my almost 16 yo DS Connor. We have a little furbaby that is 2 1/2 named Patches.

I have been missing for about a month now. My life became so busy, then we had vacation, etc. To give you an idea - the week before vacation started - my sister was on vacation. That week my DF 80 was rushed to the hospital 3 times. Long story short - low blood pressure - he was taken off his high blood pressure medication.

Now the dog, when I came home from work one night the dog was holding his paw up and it was shaking. He only weight 10 pounds so we figured he hurt it. The next day when he was sleeping his whole left side was shaking, and he was falling over. Bring him to the Vet - he says it's neurological. So off to the Neurologist. Now normally, I wouldn't rush the dog to the doctor, but remember I am leaving for vacation and my GF is watching the dog. I can't leave her a sick dog. I did research online and find prednizone usually cures this shaking. The Neuro Vet tells me she needs to do a MRI and a spinal tap on the dog. I say, can't you just give him some drugs and work our way up. Well she looked absolutely horrified and tells me that she would never give a dog drugs without knowing whats wrong. So 5 days before my vacation, I am pulling out my credit card and paying $3500 for an MRI and spinal tap. To have both come out nonconlusive, we need to do more tests on the spinal tap. Another $450. But I get 2 anitbiotics and guess what?? Prednisone. He was on the Prednisone for 1 day and was much better. Little shakey white dog syndrome. Yes you read that right. So the dog is OK and friend agreed to care for him with all his medications.

Meanwhile, DH car needed work, and he had it done and I was a little mad feeling it could have waited until we were home. Now it's Friday. My DF has a doctors appointment at 10:45 am. I have to pick my sister up from her cruise at 9:00 am in boston. I drive get my father, drop him at my house, race to Boston to get Lisa, get to the dr on time. Drop Lisa off, she takes my father back to the Assisted Living community. Drop the dog off at friends, go pick up DS friend that is coming. Pack the car, hit the sack at 9 PM.

I should mention I worked 40 hours during this week too. LOL So we get up Saturday morning at 3:30 am for our trip to HH, BWV and THV. Drive down the driveway at 4:00 am. Everyone wants to stop at Dunkin Donuts, so before I get on the highway I stop. It was a misty morning. A delivery truck parked in front of my car. So when I pulled out, I cut the wheel sharp to the right. I hear this awful noise of metal against I don't know what. I look left thinking the delivery truck was backing into me - but in reality I was driving the passenger side of my car down a cement abutment around a light pole. I crushed the 2 doors and the rear panel. DH gets out, pulls the wheel well out from the wheel, I drive home. DH comes out with a crow bar. I tell him, move everything to your car (thank goodness he fixed it) and we were on our way. Will the dark cloud ever leave from above my head???

We arrived at HH, had our wonderful marsh view. Had a great time, ate in our villa much of the time, but for my birthday we went to One Hot Mama's. It was the best BBQ I have ever had. We left HH on Thursday for our other home, BWV. My neice and her 7 yo son joined us. We had a great time. Ate in the Villa a lot - but we did visit Ohana''s, LeCellier for lunch (nice to go back, with No Free Dining it was a nice enjoyable meal, no screaming/crying children being ignored by parents), and we ate at 50's Prime Time for the first time. It was great. We moved on Tuesday to the THV. When my Neice that was with us, was 9 yo we brought her to WDW and we stayed one night in the old Treehouses. We had golf carts that we rode everywhere, you went to dinner - you parked out front and plugged it in. So 25 years later, my neice got to experience the new villas. The new villas are beautiful - but no golf carts, etc. My neice left on ME on friday morning and we drove to Sanford to get the Autotrain. What a wonderful experience it was. We had 2 sleeper cars, the boys in one, DH and I in the other. We boarded at 2:30, went to our rooms, then went to the club car for wine, cheese, vegies, etc. We played cards until about 4 pm. At 7 we ate dinner, watched a movie at 9, went back to the room at 10 and the steward had set the beds up. Woke up at 7:30 am, breakfast at 8, arrived in Lorton VA at 8:30 am. Our car came off about 9:00 am. We were home by 8:00 pm.

So I am back, work is nuts, before I went on vacation I had worked on my resume to apply for 2 jobs. Just find out, both jobs are being held, since there is going to be downsizing. Dad is still having issues - now it's high blood pressure - back on the blood pressure medication. Sighhhh. Can't win.

So, I am back reading, I will try to post more than I have.

I popped on to catch up and only made it to your post before I have to get ready to leave work. I have to tell you, I am exhausted just reading about all you've been through! But, I'm glad you had a nice vacation

Jill
Old 09-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #470
bellaally
DIS Veteran

Today was very hard for me, about two weeks ago, I bent down to pick a cup off the floor, and this crazy back spams left me unable to move or bend. I was on the floor for the whole day and flat on my back for like five days. I called my md and got an appointment for oct. 16( that's a long time) I have suffer from a pinched sciatic nerve. I did go to the ER but all they did was give me Tylenol 3, ( I am breast feeding so they can give me anything really stronger. Anyway when I get up in the morning it's the worst lower back pain. I can relax it a little and I get up and walk it normally feels better. But today during the walk it was so intense I had to cut it short. I hope and pray it gets better, it usually goes away on its own. But this time it's taking forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksLilWench
QOTD Monday 9/17: Do you believe that peace and tranquility are a big part of your journey? Do you have a way to get ahold of that peace and use it to your advantage?
I do believe you have to heal from the inside out. I think this is why I never have really kept the weight off. I love to give myself ten minutes in the morning and meditate. It also helps relieve stress. My teacher once told me... You can't change your environment, but you can change yourself. If you know your going into work and it's a hostile environment just be positive tell yourself no matter what happens I am gonna be happy and stay calm. Most people start off negative even in the car, oh no I am going into this place again, it's gonna be horrible, this lady is gonna be rude, there is so much work to do etc. you make yourself negative before you even get to a place. Change yourself...be positive!

Last edited by bellaally; 09-17-2012 at 02:40 PM.
bellaally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #471
camnhan
DIS Veteran

Peace and Tranquility......Don't I wish!!!
Not realy good at this. Don't have much "ME" time though I know that I need to carve some time out so I can be more relaxed.

When I do get the chance...I nice glass of wine and hot bath always tends to help me relax. I used to play the piano to chill out but don't do it often now since we have an open floor plan and it would disturb everyone in the house.

Today has been a little better at least on the OP front. So many things on my plate at home and work that seem to be spiraling out of control so staying OP is even more difficult as I am such a stress eater!!! Just want to curl up and hide away....I know things will work out in the way they were meant to but it is just difficult to go through the process..

ON A FUN NOTE:
The popcorn buckets at Disneyland were sooooooooooooooooo cute!!! I got one that is a coffin that has Jack Skeleton on it and then another that is a Mickey Ghost!! and I love the mug I got as well!! I so love halloween and being in the part was so much fun...even if it was only for a few hours. Was neat to see the transformation of the park as the week went on. When we arrived on Monday there was only the large pumpkins at the entrance and by weeknds end they were everywhere!!
Can't wait to go back again with the family to enjoy the season and see it at night!!
camnhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #472
Raenstoirm
BL6 Team Challenge Tracker
Lets go get me your numbers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaally View Post

QOTD Monday 9/17: Do you believe that peace and tranquility are a big part of your journey? Do you have a way to get ahold of that peace and use it to your advantage? Maybe you wake up 15 minutes before everyone else and get centered for the day. It may be that you find your tranquility by sleeping those extra 15 minutes
I think it is really important to get in touch with "you." Back in the day (12 years ago ) I meditated every day. Ah to be young and have time . Maybe 10 years ago I was really into yoga. Since then, not so much and as bellaally said, keeping the weight off means finding a way to heal from the inside. This QOTD really has me thinking. I am going to add a little yoga/meditation to my schedule a few days a week. I think i have a DVD collecting dust somewhere to get me back into it.

Trying to stay at every resort, but we are creatures of habit!
Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary

Raenstoirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #473
KDIPIAZZ
Mouseketeer

I pin a LOT of recipes on Pinterest. Last week, I resolved to pin a little less and cook a little more. Some were no so good (radish salad was awful) Some weren't so healthy (those went to my son in a care package....no temptations in this house!) Some were DELICIOUS!! Here are 3 healthy recipes I've tried over the last couple of days that have been a huge success

Low Carb Gluten Free Cauliflower Pizza Crust - DH wasn't as thrilled as me, but he can eat wheat. I think it's a great substitute for "real pizza" It ain't Pizza Hut, but it's really good...and filling!
http://velocity.t-nation.com/free_on..._pizza_finally

Low Carb, Gluten Free Jalapeno Cheddar Cauli-muffins - made these today DELICIOUS! DH showed his appreciation by promptly eating 6 of them.
http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012...r-muffins.html

Oven roasted Cabbage - This was so good, I've made it twice in a week. In fact, the next time i make haluski, I'll be preparing the cabbage this way.
http://www.laaloosh.com/2012/08/17/o...-wedge-recipe/
KDIPIAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #474
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaally
Today was very hard for me, about two weeks ago, I bent down to pick a cup off the floor, and this crazy back spams left me unable to move or bend. I was on the floor for the whole day and flat on my back for like five days. I called my md and got an appointment for oct. 16( that's a long time) I have suffer from a pinched sciatic nerve. I did go to the ER but all they did was give me Tylenol 3, ( I am breast feeding so they can give me anything really stronger. Anyway when I get up in the morning it's the worst lower back pain. I can relax it a little and I get up and walk it normally feels better. But today during the walk it was so intense I had to cut it short. I hope and pray it gets better, it usually goes away on its own. But this time it's taking forever.
!
Could it be your gallbladder? I know that sounds odd but my SIL was having what she thought was back problems but it was gallstones!
Old 09-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #475
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

Finally getting a chance to stop back in for a quick hello. This job (school secretary) is kicking my rear! I thought with essentially working for 3 months at the end of the school year I had an idea of what I was getting into but this job is a lot more demanding than what I was doing. I am seriously having 2nd thoughts about taking it. I won't quit and do hope I will be there for a long time but I am understanding how easy it can be to get burned out. Hopefully it will continue to get easier for me as I get used to it and stop feeling so "in over my head". My coworkers are great (I am the baby of the group at age 42!) and very supportive and have really been helpful. The selfish part of me is wishing though that I was still a SAHM and could still focus on myself and my weight loss full time. Have had some scheduling conflicts with my kids that have also caused me to have to call in some favors from friends and that was stressful.

The first 2 weeks I did end up losing about 5 pounds but they found me again. I need to stop stress eating and just grabbing junk because I am too tired to think about what to eat. I take healthy stuff to work and do fine there-- greek yogurt for breakfast, some soup and leftovers for lunch, cheese stick and fruit sometimes in the afternoon. Then I come home and grab whatever junk I can get my hands on. I am too tired to chew so usually it is something full of carb and/or sugar.

I have my water bottle next to me but the more of it I drink the more I have run to the bathroom and I have let the others know if I have to leave my desk. I hate having to announce to the whole office that I have to go potty every I need to go so going even more frequently would get me very strange looks.

Going to see if I get time to read back some and see how everyone is doing.

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
lovetoscrap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #476
penguin1102
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Good Sunday Morning everyone! Sorry I'm late with replies and posting the QOTD. I caught a bug last week and it is really starting to wear me down Now I think it's taking away my voice! I may have to call it the Ursula germ, lol. Thankfully I can still type! So onto the QOTD!

Today we're on to...

Norway! A big part of Norway's cuisine is fish- being an "island", it makes sense! I love fish of all kinds- salmon, tilapia, trout, etc. Plus it's so healthy for you, and can be really easy to prepare, which leads to my question...

What is your favorite way to prepare your fish? Do you even like fish? Do you have a recipe you'd like to share? We'd love to hear it!

I'll be back later tonight with replies and maybe even my own recipe!
I love fish! It is one of my most favorite things to eat. I never cook it cuz I am so afraid of undercooking/overcooking it, however sushi is one of my favorite ways to have fish, go figure. I have been reading all the recipes today and it is making me feel a little braver about trying to cook it.
penguin1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #477
penguin1102
Mouseketeer

Quote:
So technically, I'm posting this early. But I have to be up way early to be at work early (gotta make that extra spending money for my trip in just 11 Days!!!!) so I'm gonna cheat just a smidge and post the QOTD already

Today, our journey takes us to...

China!

One of the biggest aspects in Chinese culture is peace, tranquility, and balance. The yin and the yang. The Chinese are believers in feng shui, the idea that the objects in your life and home can be balanced to create positive energy. I'm not sure I entirely buy into the belief, but balance and peace are very important to me and my journey to wellness and goal.

I'll be back after work tomorrow with your replies. I can't wait to hear all about where you find your balance!
This is something that I really need to work on, especially with my anxiety. I have gotten a lot better, but when something happens I immediatly feel an anxiety attack coming on and have to remind myself to calm down cuz getting anxious is not going to solve anything. After a long day of work I like to sit down and watch tv and work on my cross stitch. It helps me relaxe after a long day.
penguin1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #478
Disney Hokie Gal
Earning My Ears

Originally Posted by JacksLilWench
QOTD Monday 9/17: Do you believe that peace and tranquility are a big part of your journey? Do you have a way to get ahold of that peace and use it to your advantage?

I've never thought about this before. At one point, I tried yoga, but it didn't really do anything for me. I don't really try to center myself, or anything like that. But maybe I need to do so. I tend to scrapbook or read when I need some "me" time, but I never try to get in touch within myself.
Disney Hokie Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #479
Mom2aJessieGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
How do you make Mahi Tikka Masala?

Well this is the recipe that I use. Only I cook the fish to temperature and then cut into cubes and add to the sauce. Yum yum.
WDW (Dolphin/FW) February 2014; WDW (POP) March 2013 (F&G);WDW (ASsp) January 2013;WDW (POFQ/FW) May 2012 (SWW); WDW (FW) February 2012; WDW (POFQ) November-December 2011 (MVMCP); WDW (POFQ/FW) February 2011; DLR (GCH) August 2010; WDW (WL) Spring 2002; WDW (WL) August 1997; WDW (WL) July 1994; DLR (DLH) Mid 90's; WDW July-August 1991; WDW March 1989; And a couple more for good measure!
Mom2aJessieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #480
belledreamer
Hello Sweetie... <3
Nothing like reaching a goal to keep you motivated!

Quote:
I believe that it is but I've never tried it myself. Although I do enjoy the extra sleep when I can.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rainy day today so DM and I handled chores around the house. Dishes are cleaned up and everyone relaxing while I'm watching 'Lois and Clark: the New Adventures of Superman.'

Starting to consider dressing up as Lois Lane instead of Cinderella when I get to meet Dean Cain in December...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: