Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #46
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

A Quick Splash into MK

Anybody want to hit the Magic Kingdom today? Yeah? Well then, let’s go!!

So when I last left off, we were skipping down the walkway from the Contemporary to the MK. Well, some of us were skipping anyway!

Dart is so cute. Whenever one of us has been away for awhile, he’s always really glad to see us again. In this case, he hadn’t seen my older brother Aramis in quite a while, so Dart was basically Aramis’s shadow all that afternoon. On the walk over, he wouldn’t let me hold his hand. Our conversation basically went like this…

“But why won’t you let me hold your hand anymore? You’ve been holding Aramis’s hand.”

“Well, he’s Aramis.”

“Did you just say HE’S ARAMIS?!?”

LOL.

My shoes and Athos’s shoes. So colorful. And yes, they were wedges. (My shoes, not Athos’s!) We were only in the park for a short time, so I chose fashion over function!

MONORAIL!

So this, as you may remember, was July. It was hot. It was muggy. And it was also tour group season. The hoards of matching neon-colored shirts were already in evidence as we entered through the turnstiles, causing Athos to joke: “Welcome to Brazil!”

Our goal for this quick MK visit was Splash Mountain, Dart’s favorite ride. Main Street seemed crowded, so we decided to conserve our energy by taking the train!

You know how the train goes through a tunnel where’s the window looking into Splash Mountain? Well the train was just entering that tunnel, and inside the tunnel, in a little alcove – right next to the area in the pic above – there was one lonely CM standing and watching the train go by. It was just so unexpected to see a person in there, and he was smiling in a kinda creepy way. Athos and I thought he might be a ghost escaped from the Haunted Mansion.

Looks like it’s a zip a dee doo dah day down there!

Before we knew it we were arriving at Frontierland Station!

Aramis and Dart hopped onto Splash – luckily Aramis had some fastpasses, so they didn’t have to wait sixty minutes! Mom and Athos and I just hung around the Splash area waiting for them. I strolled about to get some photos of interesting, half-hidden details for the trivia photos I do every Wednesday on my blog. You’ll have to watch the blog for those ones, but I did get some pics of the birdhouses…

Gotta love these – they look so cozy!

It’s like the Wilderness Lodge Resort for birds.

Aramis and Dart enjoyed their log ride, although Aramis lost his hat on the big drop! Whoops, at least it was an old one - we did call lost and found later, but they didn’t have it.

We trekked back towards the Hub through Adventureland. It’s so fun to admire the bungalow-style buildings in this land…

It’s like walking through the Agrabah bazaar (which I believe one of the shops there is appropriately named!).

I think that pink house with two peaky towers is my favorite.

We took a few photos and videos in front of the castle and then headed back down Main Street. Starting at the Main Street Cinema and stretching all the way down to the corner by Town Square, BOTH sides of the street were completely filled with Brazilian tour groups waiting for the parade. I was not sorry to be heading back to the cool quiet of the Contemporary for some desserts!

The Contemporary looked just gorgeous against a Florida sunset sky!

This looks like it was an interesting conversation…but probably it was just about video games!

Following the monorail tracks back to the resort...

Passing through the lobby…

Heading back to the lounge…time for some coffee and desserts!

Old 09-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #47
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

You guys went to MK, rode the train, some rode Splash and left? That's a real perk for staying at the Contemporary, now isn't it???

I love how you were all wearing similar shades of blue (except one was a little bit different!)!

Desserts? Did someone say desserts?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #48
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

Wow, the CL lounge looks awesome. The food looks really yummy and there is a good variety! Someday we'll give it a shot!

Your photos are making me SO EXCITED for our upcoming trip. I LOVE that you guys were able to walk over to the MK, ride the train and Splash, and make it back for desserts. I can see how easy it is to be spoiled by that kind of convenience!
Old 09-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #49
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

I liked the blue shirts too...and your wedges were a perfect match!! This is why I do NOT do Disney in July..we went there the summer I turned 18 after graduation (turned 18 the day we got home)...it was pure misery. No lie. I would not go back there in July ever. Even if for free. That's how miserable I was...I don't tolerate the heat very well~I get really bad headaches, so I was washed out every day!!

Old 09-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #50
jwwi
DIS Veteran

Short enjoyable visit to MK, you know how to get the best out of the time. Did you watch the fireworks from the lounge?
Old 09-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #51
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
You guys went to MK, rode the train, some rode Splash and left? That's a real perk for staying at the Contemporary, now isn't it???

I love how you were all wearing similar shades of blue (except one was a little bit different!)!

Desserts? Did someone say desserts?
Most definitely a perk of staying at the Contemp...you basically can't get any closer to the MK! Glad you appreciated the "matching" colors...Mom and I planned out the wardrobes so they would at least tone if not match! And ohhhhh, yes - desserts are next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
Wow, the CL lounge looks awesome. The food looks really yummy and there is a good variety! Someday we'll give it a shot!

Your photos are making me SO EXCITED for our upcoming trip. I LOVE that you guys were able to walk over to the MK, ride the train and Splash, and make it back for desserts. I can see how easy it is to be spoiled by that kind of convenience!
The Contemporary is a fabulous resort, and especially if you're going to the Magic Kingdom, you can't beat it for convenience. You're going to have an awesome time! Looks like you're getting really close!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Mommy 3 View Post
I liked the blue shirts too...and your wedges were a perfect match!! This is why I do NOT do Disney in July..we went there the summer I turned 18 after graduation (turned 18 the day we got home)...it was pure misery. No lie. I would not go back there in July ever. Even if for free. That's how miserable I was...I don't tolerate the heat very well~I get really bad headaches, so I was washed out every day!!
If we could do it any time of year we would, but with the boys' school the summer and peak vacation times are basically all we've got! The heat didn't bother me quite as much this trip...maybe living in Florida I've become inured to it! And taking it slow makes things better too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwi View Post
Short enjoyable visit to MK, you know how to get the best out of the time. Did you watch the fireworks from the lounge?
MOST DEFINITELY! I would not have missed Wishes from the lounge for the world! Can't wait to share pics!
Old 09-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #52
MainStreetFireman
DIS Veteran

your brother is spot on!

IMO, Splash is the best themed attraction in MK! Even the line is fun. I especially like the little birdhouses at the very top, where you can hear the birds tweeting along with the soundtrack.

It tells such a fun story throughout the whole ride. And just when you think the payoff was the big drop, there's a big party on the bayou to cruise on through. Wonderful.

My DKs always wanted to sneak a plastic tea set on the ride, so that we could appear totally composed, having tea, in our drop photo. Great idea, but too much prop work. That will have to wait for a time if illoveeeyore and I ever retire there.

Can't wait to read more!

I've been BOOed by iloveeeyore
Old 09-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #53
DinaBina
Earning My Ears

Wow, what a lovely start to the trip so far. Can't wait to read more! Love your brother's names!
Wifetograpger
Disneytographer
Old 09-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #54
Mommy2BnB
Mouseketeer

Emma, it is so nice to 'see' you! I guess your mom finally relented on the face pictures.

Staying Club level looks wonderful! The food served always looks amazing, and I learned a new word from your report. Crudite. I've read it before, but was too lazy to look it up. Thanks!!!

BTW, love the shoes.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:07 AM   #55
alagen
Wishing I was at WDW or Paris!

Hi Emma!

The food at CL looks amazing, I'm not sure why others who stay there don't take advantage of it, especially since they're essentially paying for it Frankly, I would probably spend all my time there if it weren't for those lovely parks so close by!

Downton Abbey season (ahem, series) 3 started over here in the UK (which was an excellent episode! ) and I couldn't help wondering what would happen if an episode took place at WDW. Of course, the timings for both don't coincide, but in an alternate universe, that would be an epic episode! They could film at the Grand Floridian under the guise of visiting Lady Cora's mother and then holiday at the Polynesian (standing in for Hawaii), lol. Then they could do a "in the future" episode and film at Tomorrowland!! Well, actually, I guess they can film any future scenes anywhere else at WDW!
December 2009 - WDW - Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
December 2008 - WDW - Swan
May 2008 - DLP - Offsite
December 2006 - WDW - Offsite
February 2005 - DL - Paradise Pier Hotel
pre-2000 - WDW - Offsite
Old 09-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #56
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainStreetFireman View Post
IMO, Splash is the best themed attraction in MK! Even the line is fun. I especially like the little birdhouses at the very top, where you can hear the birds tweeting along with the soundtrack.

It tells such a fun story throughout the whole ride. And just when you think the payoff was the big drop, there's a big party on the bayou to cruise on through. Wonderful.

My DKs always wanted to sneak a plastic tea set on the ride, so that we could appear totally composed, having tea, in our drop photo. Great idea, but too much prop work. That will have to wait for a time if illoveeeyore and I ever retire there.

Can't wait to read more!
Oh my goodness, your kids are BRILLIANT!!! You have to do that sometime, it would be hilarious! And it is so true, Splash has some of the coolest details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinaBina View Post
Wow, what a lovely start to the trip so far. Can't wait to read more! Love your brother's names!
WELCOME and thanks for posting. Yep, my brothers are my four musketeers!
Old 09-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #57
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2BnB View Post
Emma, it is so nice to 'see' you! I guess your mom finally relented on the face pictures.

Staying Club level looks wonderful! The food served always looks amazing, and I learned a new word from your report. Crudite. I've read it before, but was too lazy to look it up. Thanks!!!

BTW, love the shoes.
lol, I figued I've shared a few face pics on the blog and I'm not a high school kid anymore, so I might as well share a few here too. Glad you approve of the shoes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alagen View Post
Hi Emma!

The food at CL looks amazing, I'm not sure why others who stay there don't take advantage of it, especially since they're essentially paying for it Frankly, I would probably spend all my time there if it weren't for those lovely parks so close by!

Downton Abbey season (ahem, series) 3 started over here in the UK (which was an excellent episode! ) and I couldn't help wondering what would happen if an episode took place at WDW. Of course, the timings for both don't coincide, but in an alternate universe, that would be an epic episode! They could film at the Grand Floridian under the guise of visiting Lady Cora's mother and then holiday at the Polynesian (standing in for Hawaii), lol. Then they could do a "in the future" episode and film at Tomorrowland!! Well, actually, I guess they can film any future scenes anywhere else at WDW!
SO jelaous that you get to see Series 3 already!! I have to admit I've seen a few of the clips on youtube - I couldn't resist - and I can't wait. Haha, that would be pretty good - Downton takes over Disney! If telephones and swivel chairs leave the dowager countess confused, at Disney she would just be totally bewildered!
Old 09-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #58
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Wow a Downton Abbey and Dis fan... You are a girl after my own heart...

How fun that you got an opportunity to work at Disney... and how spectacular that you've gotten a chance to follow your dream of writing...

I can't wait to follow you and your family around the Bay Lake Resorts... it's the ultimate in resort hopping...

I've only been club at the AKL and I agree it is enough food to make dinner of...(we were actually upgraded and I was really torn because we had already made adrs... it's too much food to eat in the lounge and have dinner out...)

I love that the lounge at the Contemporary has the food set up to mirror the overall feeling of resort- kind of 60s mod... and sleek... It's always about the details...

Look forward to following along...
Old 09-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #59
MEK
DIS Veteran

The club level lounge looks great and the food selections look so yummy. I love your "dinner" selections. That food is making me hungry.

Woo hoo for a quick trip in for Splash Mountain.

I love your shoes and yes - you certainly did pick fashion over function.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 09-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #60
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
Wow a Downton Abbey and Dis fan... You are a girl after my own heart...

How fun that you got an opportunity to work at Disney... and how spectacular that you've gotten a chance to follow your dream of writing...

I can't wait to follow you and your family around the Bay Lake Resorts... it's the ultimate in resort hopping...

I've only been club at the AKL and I agree it is enough food to make dinner of...(we were actually upgraded and I was really torn because we had already made adrs... it's too much food to eat in the lounge and have dinner out...)

I love that the lounge at the Contemporary has the food set up to mirror the overall feeling of resort- kind of 60s mod... and sleek... It's always about the details...

Look forward to following along...
Downton and Disney are definitely two of the nicest things in life if you ask me! Ohhh, the Kilamajaro Club at the AKL is one of the nicest! It's funny how getting a free upgrade to club is sometimes how they get you hooked on club! I totally agree - you don't want to be eating out when you have the club food. That's why we do short club stays - because we want to get out to our favorite restaurants too! Thanks for posting! More coming up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
The club level lounge looks great and the food selections look so yummy. I love your "dinner" selections. That food is making me hungry.

Woo hoo for a quick trip in for Splash Mountain.

I love your shoes and yes - you certainly did pick fashion over function.
I found a bunch of really cute wedges before our trip, and I knew I wouldn't be able to resist wearing them - even though some of them were worthy of badshoe.com!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: