Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 02:21 AM   #1
Disney Burns
Earning My Ears

Money saving tips while in florida

Hi guys,

Was wondering if anyone had any money saving tips while on your Florida holiday.

I have seen all the vouchers etc and never sure if they are actually worth it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Disney Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:32 AM   #2
darthtatty
Been There, Done That, Going Back!

Use the vouchers, they are worth it.

Water-dont buy bottles.
either take a refillable bottle or go to any Disney counter service restaurant and ask for an iced water-its free

Do you have the dining plan?
use snack credits to buy a danish (or something like that for breakfast)
Breakfast is usually the cheapest meal, so dont use credits for it-unless youre going to have some left over.
Feb 2005 - Sequoia Lodge@Disneyland Paris
May 2009 - Holiday@ Contemporary Resort Trip report
August 2011-Holiday@Contemporary Resort Trip report
March 2013-Perth Australia
darthtatty is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-16-2012, 04:55 AM   #3
Kath2003
DIS Veteran

Buy half the amount of food you think you need.
Don't buy soda, refill water bottles.
Don't go overboard on the souvenirs. Are you really going to use it when you get home?
Voucher - yes, worth it, but only if you're going there anyway!
Kath2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #4
paulh
likes to have a beer
Guiness?

sign up to restaurant web sites to get discount vouchers.Tell them your B/day is the day you go and you will also get extra offers.We got a get a free earl of sandwich that way and others besides

Paul
been going since 1992 sayed offtite a few years then at ASMovies,ASmusic,ASsports,Pop,Caribiean beach.coranardo springs,port orleans,beach club,wildernes lodge,AK lodge,Vero beah,Hilton head island,Disneyland hotel ca,paradice pier ca and fav saratoga springs resort all in no particular order and how can i forget the disney 7 night cruise

"Fire. The Greatest Invention of Mankind. Beer. A Close Second."
paulh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Well worth joining the email clubs of restaurants you fancy a few days before you travel. A lot sent welcome vouchers.

If you look at my two dining on a budget threads - links in my signature lots of info about coupons and general money saving tips for eating.
20ish trips to USA 1997 onwards including All Star Movies Dec 2009 with DDP, OKW Oct 2010 with DDP, Floridays Resort Oct 2011, Bahama Bay resort May 2012, OKW Oct 2012 with DxDDP, All Star Movies Oct 2013 with DDP

DH 39 Me 39 DD 8

Perfectly Princess Tea Party Review Disney Dining 2010 Review
Dining on a budget - $100 a day with coupons All new Dining on a Budget of $100 May 2012
Dixons go Deluxe Oct/Nov 12
dixonsontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

Definitely join restaurant websites before you go, particularly if you are eating off site a lot (we like to go off property in an evening unless we're doing fireworks). We had BOGOF vouchers from Chevys, Sweet Tomatoes, Cici's Pizza and Uno Chacago Grill before we left home.
Also, get the coupon book from Golden Corral (probsbly found elsewhere too) as there are all sorts of things in there depending on how much time/money you spend off site.

Sepending on what you buy, Walmart have a great selection of generic disney merchandise, and there is also a Disney outlet at the Premier Outlets that you should try if you are on a budget.

We always go to the supermarket on our first night to buy soda, crisps etc. By the way, we do stay on site, but always have a car.
Eliza32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
WiganTony
DIS Veteran

Certainly when in Disney parks, you can probably get away with splitting a Counter Service meal between two of you - maybe just add an additional "side" rather than buying two full meals. An alternative owuld be to buy a kids meal which comes with a drink but at less than the adult entree on it's own.

We tend to take a couple of frozen bottles of water in a cool bag, together with a couple of unfrozen, which means we have cool water throughout the day. Can also use the bag for any small, perishable snacks.

2014 July/August - RPR and OKW - again!!
2013 July/August - NY, LA and San Diego
2012 August - OKW
2011 August - No Disney NY and Boston
2010 July/August - RPR and OKW
2009 Easter - Springhill Suites LBV & Cruise
2008 August - Marriott Residence Seaworld.
2007 August - CBR/Marriott Clearwater/Springhill Suites LBV
2005 August - Comfort Suites Kissimmee
Longer than I care to remember - 3 lads and their car touring Florida!!
WiganTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #8
ShellyG
Earning My Ears

Vouchers are worth it definitely!

Also if you don't have DDP stop of at a Publix or similar supermarket and stock up on Breakfast items. We normally buy a box of cerial, milk and some plastic bowls/cutlery. You can keep milk in the in room fridge, or ice bucket.

We also tend to get some bottled water, snacks and beer there to keep in the room as they are a fraction of the Disney price.

Also if you don't have DDP but have a car then eat off site, there is a Ponderosa just off site (and I am sure other, but we haven't been very adventurous!) which does a great all you can eat meal for about $12 (steak and chips plus all you can eat "salad" bar and desserts)

We only do DDP if it is free and it won't be when we go this time so we will be dining off site more with just a couple of ADRs.

1987-1995 Enclave Suites, Omni Rosen, Comfort Inn (?) 1 more offsite and The GF. 1997 - CBR. 2007 - Disneymoon WDW dolphin. 2010 - AKL and 2013 - POR.
ShellyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #9
Portugal1000
DIS Veteran

Don't go overboard with theme park tickets. Be realistic about how many parks you can visit in one trip. Just had our 9th trip. Was there for 3 weeks and had Disney and Universal tickets. For some reason I bought Aquatica midweek annual passes ($59) and only went twice for a couple of hours each time. Didn't need them as already had Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon. Nearly $200 for about 5 hours of fun.

We always take bagels to the parks if we haven't booked a sitdown meal. We then have those with cream cheese and treat ourselves to a nice dessert from the bakery type places or a big ice cream sundae. I enjoy that so much more than counter service meals.

We have never really tried to do a trip on a budget and this year we took $4200 for 21 nights and came back with $1100. However, if I had to go there on $2000 I think it would be pretty easy to cut back and still have a great time. We just wouldn't eat out as much and have lots more BBQ's at the resort which we did for the first time this year and loved it.
Portugal1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: