Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 12:55 AM   #211
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

A brand of hair care products over here in Australia is currently running a promotion to win a family trip to 'Disneyland, Florida'.

Um... I can understand the general public getting it wrong, but couldn't their marketing department have done a bit more research? I'd like to think they put more research and thought into their products!

Having said that, I still bought the product so I could enter the competition

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR - Aug/Sep 2014 RunDisney 10k DLR (DI&S & Portofino) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Sep 2015 RunDisney Half DLR PTR - 2016 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:07 AM   #212
philmagic
Mouseketeer

I have to laugh - going back to the posts where people think EPCOT is just a bunch of countries. The first time DH and I went, we only rode Spaceship Earth and Living with the land. We also went to the Millenium Village, which was a temporary land for the year 2000. We didn't even know World Showcase existed! But we had a blast anyway!
philmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2012, 01:21 AM   #213
CurlyJo224
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stm61 View Post
This is from a friend of my sister, she adopted a child in her late 40's, had zero experience with kids or WDW. She took her child on their first trip this summer. She had no idea the lines would be long, could not understand why there weren't alternative lines for people with small kids who don't have the patience to wait in long lines. Same thing for dining- my sister did get her to make some ADR's, but she didn't expect to have to wait for the characters to make their way around to her table. Don't understand what she thought would happen, since she says she knew she wouldn't be the only person in the restaurant. She thinks the buses should have car seats installed permanently, separate buses should be provided for families with little kids, and that strollers should be allowed to be wheeled on full of kids and/or bags. My favorite was that she thinks WDW should provide air conditioned napping areas, with beds, in all the parks. She even asked a cm about the nap areas while in the parks and was directed to the baby care centers. That wasn't good enough for her- she wants private rooms for each child. She wasn't amused when we told her that's what her hotel room was for.
Did she think that people with small children would be in the minority in the parks and treated specially?

** Summer 1985 - First trip with family. Off property ** Summer 1991 - Trip with Dad. Off property ** Spring 1998 - Trip with Mom. Off property ** Halloween 2006 - Honeymoon. All-Star Movies ** Halloween 2007 - 1st Anniversary. All-Star Music ** Halloween 2008 - 2nd Anniversary. All-Star Sports ** Halloween 2009 - 3rd Anniversary. Pop Century ** Halloween 2010 - 4th Anniversary. Pop Century **Halloween 2012 - 6th Anniversary. Pop Century**July 2013 - Florida Residents!
CurlyJo224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:28 AM   #214
CraftyMommy
Mouseketeer

I took a friend on a mom's only trip to WDW for her first visit. We got along real well and had fun....as long as you always let her be right. She had that attitude where she would go out of her way to prove someone was wrong even after they had long given up the disagreement.

On our first day we were doing some resort hopping and checked out the Swan and Dolphin. The next day she kept referring to them as the "Swan and Carp hotels." I kept telling her its the Dolphin, but she pointed out it didn't have a dolphin nose, it looked like a fish and it has to be a carp. I tried to tell her there are different types of dolphins than just the typical kind people think of when you hear the word dolphin. She was not having it. I surely was wrong and she was right. After all, she had been in WDW a total of 2 days and (and I had been going for years). Just to prove to me how wrong I was, when we got onto a bus headed for Downtown Disney, we passed the S&D. She looked at me with that (I know more than you face) and proudly pointed out to the bus driver, "Look at how beautiful the Swan and Carp hotels are." He busted out laughing and replied, "You mean the Swan and DOLPHIN." I died laughing as her prim and proper face turned beet red.

If she ever says something that I disagree with I always tell her. "Sure you're right...Swan and Carp?"
CraftyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:36 AM   #215
daraddg
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by herewego1 View Post
When I told my BIL he really didn't need a rental car while staying on Disney property, he angrily told me he wanted to do the safari at Animal Kingdom, and how would he "be able to drive through it if he didn't have a car?"
Is he from NJ? They have a drive thru safari here at 6 flags so that why he may have thought that
Old 09-17-2012, 02:08 AM   #216
iheartmickey1111
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantHeart View Post
So I went for the first time this past summer, and I was 17 at the time. I got "I don't know why she's in a character line, she's too old!" so many times, you would not believe!

Granted, it was at the first part of June, but why should that mean I can't be a little kid on my first WDW trip?
LOL, I don't even WANT TO KNOW what people thought of me last year then. I was on my first solo trip and I stood in line for every. single. character. I could find...and I was 26! Who cares?! To me, NO ONE is an adult once they pass through those gates. I say enjoy yourself- you pay to much $$$ not to! Plus, DH and I didn't meet any characters but Mickey and Minnie on our first trip and I majorly regreted that!

LOVING this thread by the way- hilarious. Definitely keeping my ears open on my next trip!

*1997- Disneyland*5/2009-Late Honeymoon at AKL (Army ruined our first one)*10/2011- Pop for the MK 40th Anniversary Celebration, MNSSHP, first SOLO trip!*4/2012- Coronado Springs*9/2012-Pop, MNSSHP, Wild Africa Trek, Haunted 5k Run
iheartmickey1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:09 AM   #217
tinkluvr23
Mouseketeer

There was a dad and his son in line in front of us waiting for BTM and you could just tell this kid had just gotten to the age where he was too cool for his dad, maybe 11 or 12. The whole time the dad was in good spirits and cracking jokes. At one point he says "this ride is going to wiggity wack" in a super excited loud voice. His son looks at him says "Dad, does anyone say wiggity wack anymore?". Dad, "No". Son,"lets keep it that way" in his snottiest voice possible. The dad was unphased but my boyfriend and I thought it was hilarious. We still say wiggity wack to each other.

This thread is great! Especially the self entitlement comments Oh man. I feel like I am going to be ease dropping on people the whole time I am at the parks now.
tinkluvr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #218
jenjie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stm61
This is from a friend of my sister, she adopted a child in her late 40's, had zero experience with kids or WDW. She took her child on their first trip this summer. She had no idea the lines would be long, could not understand why there weren't alternative lines for people with small kids who don't have the patience to wait in long lines. Same thing for dining- my sister did get her to make some ADR's, but she didn't expect to have to wait for the characters to make their way around to her table. Don't understand what she thought would happen, since she says she knew she wouldn't be the only person in the restaurant. She thinks the buses should have car seats installed permanently, separate buses should be provided for families with little kids, and that strollers should be allowed to be wheeled on full of kids and/or bags. My favorite was that she thinks WDW should provide air conditioned napping areas, with beds, in all the parks. She even asked a cm about the nap areas while in the parks and was directed to the baby care centers. That wasn't good enough for her- she wants private rooms for each child. She wasn't amused when we told her that's what her hotel room was for.
This cannot be true. Are we being punk'd?
October 1996 ~ March 2003 ~ August 2012
jenjie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #219
Herbie
DIS Veteran

I overheard a lady on the tram telling her group that if you stick your hand in the water on splash mtn or drop any thing in it, they evacuate the place and drain all the water, and it takes about two hours..........
Herbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #220
longneckthree
Mouseketeer

My husband and I say these things and more

to embarrass our children. My husband can never call anything by it's real name - the Swan and Dolphin is the Duck and Fish, Downtown Disney is Disney City, he comes up with loads of them.
Just remember some people may just be having fun - who really care what you call it?
And he will also repeat things he has heard on previous trips - like going through the fast pass line he will be saying loudly," How much did these special tickets cost again?" or on the monorail,"This is the monorail we take to go to SeaWorld, right?(He loves to ask loudly)"
Yes he is a brat but he has a great time and its so worth it to hear the girls go "Dad, Don't you know anything?"
Yes we have a great time. I hope we don't mess up anyone else's vacation. I keep picture angry people going up to a cast member demanding the expensive fast passes or asking where the monorail to SeaWorld is.

me DH
DD20 DD17 DD14 DD12
DDog 5 DDog 10

2007-2011 POFQ,POR,CB,CS,BWI
BVC / THV 2012 DVC Now!
AOA 2013
AKL 2013

AKL / The Darkside 2015
longneckthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #221
jenjie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckthree
to embarrass our children. My husband can never call anything by it's real name - the Swan and Dolphin is the Duck and Fish, Downtown Disney is Disney City, he comes up with loads of them.
Just remember some people may just be having fun - who really care what you call it?
And he will also repeat things he has heard on previous trips - like going through the fast pass line he will be saying loudly," How much did these special tickets cost again?" or on the monorail,"This is the monorail we take to go to SeaWorld, right?(He loves to ask loudly)"
Yes he is a brat but he has a great time and its so worth it to hear the girls go "Dad, Don't you know anything?"
Yes we have a great time. I hope we don't mess up anyone else's vacation. I keep picture angry people going up to a cast member demanding the expensive fast passes or asking where the monorail to SeaWorld is.
Hah! love it. My DS was so embarrassed when I would talk to the characters, but it was perfectly ok for him. Then he embarrassed us by his choice of questions.
October 1996 ~ March 2003 ~ August 2012
jenjie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #222
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckthree View Post
the Swan and Dolphin is the Duck and Fish.
Hey! that's our nickname too!

I posted before about a trip where we were tlaking withon our large extended family and some obnoxious lady felt the need to intervene and 'correct' us. We had a good laough at her expense- all TWELVE of us! It was our intentional inside joke, and one of her business. Plus, we were aready obviously chucking about it.

Most of the time, I don't notice what others call something. We have a few Disney nicknames; it will always be the "WEDway Peoplemover" to us; I don't care what new name Disney gives it. If someone says Disney World or Disneyland in place of Magic Kingdom, I could care less.

The only time I might intervene is if someone is having obvious trouble. I usually start by asking if they want my help.
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #223
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyluv'r View Post
The only time I might intervene is if someone is having obvious trouble. I usually start by asking if they want my help.
What happens when you do this? I have tried but usually I get the look where they look at me as if I had lobsters crawling out of my ears.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #224
JasonDVC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckthree View Post
LOL I love this kind of humor, we would get a long great!...

In 2008 we were on the Tram to DHS and we were sitting in the last seat in the last Tram where the CM is. I said in a loud, proud voice "This is my first time at Six Flags!", the CM responded "You know this is Hollywood Studios, right?" I replied, "Yeah, Six Flags Hollywood Studios!" He stared at me with a confused look on his face and then said "Oh. you're kidding, right?" We had a good laugh with that.

JasonDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #225
VP037388
Mouseketeer

One trip, DH and I were in the bus line at our resort. The couple behind us asked where we were going. We were going to AK. The lady starts this rant about "what a joke. Disney is really stealing your money there". Turns out, she thought the whole park was the safari and that all the animals were "robots". One. big. giant. Jungle Cruise experinece. LOL.
When I told her they were all REAL animals, shows, food, all that, she started yelling, seriously yelling, to her husband "They aren't ROBOT animals, Larry, did you HEAR ME". Her DH had moved to another line, after the conversation had started. He apparently realized when I said AK, that they were in the wrong bus line. I don't think she ever realized, she just wandered over to her DH yammering the whole time. Also, love when people:
- Get on the boat at the far end of the World Showcase and think it goes somewhere other than the other end of the World Showcase.
- People who want into a park without a ticket because "we are only going to eat, not ride a ride".
- People who want into a park without a ticket just to see the parade/fireworks. They always promise to leave right after the show ends.
- People who ask for advice about Disney, ask 1000 questions, and then never take the advice.
VP037388 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: