DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 07:03 AM   #1
moejoe
Earning My Ears

Red face dinning on cruises and rci

Considering options other than Disney.
If I book a cruise or RCI trade on points does it include food and drink or is it accomadation only?
moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moejoe View Post
Considering options other than Disney.
If I book a cruise or RCI trade on points does it include food and drink or is it accomadation only?
I'm assuming you have use or lose points and that part of your reasoning is available extra cash (let me know if these are not accurate). My suggestions would depend on location and how many points to a degree. Assuming a fairly large number of points (since you mentioned cruise or exchange), I'd suggest you consider renting out the points, if that's not an interest, maybe an exchange where you can drive to and that is appropriate for relaxing and eating in. A cruise can have additional expenses of travel, excursions and tips. The AI fee can vary from a few hundred dollars to a couple of thousand per person. More specifics on situation and interest might help.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

as pp noted you would need to be more specific on the trade. most cruise lines include the meals and some beverages, non-alcoholic, excluding soft drinks. for their signature restaurants you would pay additional. this would depend on the cruise line, ship, etc. likewise, some rci exchanges are all-inclusive. some include everything, all meals, drinks, alcoholic beverages, and activities and others pay additional for a signature restaurant or some activities. it all depends.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcterry View Post
likewise, some rci exchanges are all-inclusive. some include everything, all meals, drinks, alcoholic beverages, and activities and others pay additional for a signature restaurant or some activities. it all depends.
Maybe you didn't mean this as posted. There are NO RCI exchanges I am aware of that include meals, only some that REQUIRE additional purchases for AI options. These can be quite high, around $2K per person is not unusual and some require you pay for the occupancy of the unit even if that many are not present, like 4 for a 2 BR.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

in response to pp, no we did not have to pay for our meals with the exchange, included. to add to op's question, gratuity would not be included with exchange for your cabin steward and waitstaff. they would give a recommendation of so many dollars per person, per day. so figure the cost of gratuity for your cruise.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcterry View Post
in response to pp, no we did not have to pay for our meals with the exchange, included. to add to op's question, gratuity would not be included with exchange for your cabin steward and waitstaff. they would give a recommendation of so many dollars per person, per day. so figure the cost of gratuity for your cruise.
I am not aware of an RCI exchange that includes meals without paying an additional fee, please enlighten me.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I am not aware of an RCI exchange that includes meals without paying an additional fee, please enlighten me.
I think there is just a simple wording mistake. Sounds to me like dvcterry is talking about a DCL cruise, not an RCI exchange.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
moejoe
Earning My Ears

we have lots of points and just thinking about trying something different. Renting points is not something we want to do. we understand the use of points on a cruise is not the best use of points. But we have them so might as well use them.
If I understand your saying meals and non alcoholic drinks are included on disney cruises but not RCI exchanges when using points.
thanks for all the advice.
moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Quote:
Originally Posted by moejoe View Post
we have lots of points and just thinking about trying something different. Renting points is not something we want to do. we understand the use of points on a cruise is not the best use of points. But we have them so might as well use them.
If I understand your saying meals and non alcoholic drinks are included on disney cruises but not RCI exchanges when using points.
thanks for all the advice.
Yes, the meals and non alcoholic drinks are included on Disney Cruises. If' you haven't taken a DCL cruise yet, you're in for a treat! We've been on 5, 2 using points and 3 for cash. We now have a lot of points, but we don't seem to ever have enough to use them for cruising. We had bought a resale with lots of banked points and that was our source for the first cruise, and the second was a MC that we just didn't have the out of pocket money to pay for. Now, we are hooked on DCL, and do save so we can have the cash to pay for them. We don't want to rent our points either.

Bobbi
Old 09-16-2012, 11:46 PM   #10
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
I think there is just a simple wording mistake. Sounds to me like dvcterry is talking about a DCL cruise, not an RCI exchange.
Jim, that may have been the intent but is not what was stated.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: