Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #196
Tltorrez
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKreamer
My mother, who has beer been, always says "but what can a 5 (or insert 2, 3, etc) year old going to do in Disney! He won't be able to ride anything!".

Or "how can you go for 10 days, you are crazy!" (10 days in September to go at a leisurely pace because one of my children has Asperger's and can't handle touring commando style)
That's the discussion I had to have with my inlaws. They saw how exhausted my SIL's family was after a week. And all their friends in FL said 12 nights was too long. (Though it was unclear why they felt that way.) I think I finally successfully explained that the trip is long because we have a ton of downtime.
Tltorrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #197
Radiorox
Live from the city of Magic.

A new one from my family... "So you need park tickets for breakfast IN Epcot?"

Me: "Yea... same as MK and any restaurants in the parks."

Grandma: "I don't understand why they just don't rope off the area for people eating breakfast!"

Me: "Well, Akershus is in the countries section of EPCOT. It's not like it's BY the enterance."

Aunt: "But, can they take us in the BACK way!"
Radiorox is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #198
KristiSev
Earning My Ears

I am loving this thread. I rarely post, but frequently come for advice and planning.
I was one of those people that did not have a clue my first time visiting. I had been staying with relatives in Fort Myers 2008 and decided to stop through Disney on the drive home to Ohio with my then 3 yr old DD. I remember walking up to BBB and trying to get in and not knowing that reservations were needed. The cast members there were wonderful and though we couldn't get an appt. they did sprinkle my daughter with "pixie dust." We only spent two days at Magic Kingdom that year (stayed off property yuck!) and I have to admit it was disappointing.
However our 8 day vacation 2 years later at Disney was purely magical! I don't know what I would've done without these boards and Allears! What a difference being in the know! I am very excited to be returning in 2013!
KristiSev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #199
Sandi12404
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFlyer View Post
Could be worse, our "big" trip was always to Waldameer in Erie.
I feel for you. I live in Erie so I go to Waldameer several times a year and I love it but I can't imagine it being the "big trip". That being said if you haven't been in awhile you should come check it out. They added some great new rides in the last few years. We've been going to Cedar Point every year for the last 15 years or so.

me hubby dd15 dd9 ds 1
Sandi12404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:12 AM   #200
tiki23
Able to leap a double stroller in a single *splat*
A hot glue gun was my best friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter View Post
I'll tell you what the craziest things we've heard have been from our very own Travel Agent who's been before!!! She booked us the Cinderella breakfast at 1900 Park Fare and told us "all the princesses" would be there. She told us not to go to Cinderella's Royal Table - "it's not worth it and the characters won't spend any time with you". She also booked that one and said, "oh yeah you can just walk right out of the castle and hop onto your bus to go to the airport afterwards." Oh yes, and I had to press to book ADR's because she said it would be so slow in September we could make reservations that day. UM, ALL of the character meals are booked solid and have been for months, THANK goodness I made her book them months ago against her advice!!! Argh. SO many things were just plain wrong, UGH! We haven't even gone yet but are so excited we want to go again in two years...and I'M BOOKING THE WHOLE THING MYSELF! Lol*
I had to look to see where you lived - your post gave me nightmare deja vu about an absolutely horrid local travel agent that was handling a trip I was involved in with 60 people!

I don't mind that people make mistakes, even people I hire to perform a service, but if they don't even bother to research things and just give me stupid answers off the top of their head then they will never get my business again and I won't be shy about telling others the reason why.

So to anyone in the Seattle area, PM me before you hook up with a TA!
1st Trip! 11/06 POP~ Christmas Time W/Mom 12/07 POP~ Just Me DL 3/08~ Mom-Son 8/08 POP~Fam & Friends 10/08 DLR~Reunion 9/09 ASMU~Sisters! 9/10 POFQ~ 3/11 w/DD's choir ASMu~ 5/12 EE Challenge w/Sis POP ~w/DH 9/12 AoA~ ToT Run/Reunion 10/13 POP! ~ ASP w/Sis Princess Wknd 2/14 DLand Half Marathon 8/14 11/14 Avenger Half Marathon
tiki23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #201
stm61
DIS Veteran

This is from a friend of my sister, she adopted a child in her late 40's, had zero experience with kids or WDW. She took her child on their first trip this summer. She had no idea the lines would be long, could not understand why there weren't alternative lines for people with small kids who don't have the patience to wait in long lines. Same thing for dining- my sister did get her to make some ADR's, but she didn't expect to have to wait for the characters to make their way around to her table. Don't understand what she thought would happen, since she says she knew she wouldn't be the only person in the restaurant. She thinks the buses should have car seats installed permanently, separate buses should be provided for families with little kids, and that strollers should be allowed to be wheeled on full of kids and/or bags. My favorite was that she thinks WDW should provide air conditioned napping areas, with beds, in all the parks. She even asked a cm about the nap areas while in the parks and was directed to the baby care centers. That wasn't good enough for her- she wants private rooms for each child. She wasn't amused when we told her that's what her hotel room was for.
stm61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #202
NJRRK
DIS Veteran

Happened to read this while watching Bridezillas. Anyone else sees the irony in that?

4/76 - offsite, 4/77 - CR, 4/78 - CR, 4/79 - FW Trailer, 5/80 - CR, 5/82 - Disney Inn, 12/82 - FW Trailer, 5/83 - DL California, 12/83 - CR, 9/84 - CR, 1/85 - CR, 3/88 - Disney Village suites (later Disney Institute, where SSR is now), 8/96 - DxL (POR), 8/07 - CR, 10/08 - CR Atrium
NJRRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #203
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

I think staying offsite is NOT a bad thing. I wish people wouldn't let themselves be persuaded that they MUST stay at a Disney hotel or they will have a bad time.

It's what you make of it. It doesn't have to be less magical unless you go in expecting bad things and get them.

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #204
Adri
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiorox View Post
A new one from my family... "So you need park tickets for breakfast IN Epcot?"

Me: "Yea... same as MK and any restaurants in the parks."

Grandma: "I don't understand why they just don't rope off the area for people eating breakfast!"

Me: "Well, Akershus is in the countries section of EPCOT. It's not like it's BY the enterance."

Aunt: "But, can they take us in the BACK way!"
That is slightly less silly than some other things, because at least there IS a "back way" to get into Epcot... but that entrance is on the other side of World Showcase and nowhere near Norway!

Here's one I never expected to hear: I was just Skyping with my in-laws, who were in Orlando last March and were at Universal for the Mardi Gras festivities. Multiple times tonight, they asked us if we did the Mardi Gras stuff on our WDW trip we went on this month, if people were handing out beads and necklaces everywhere. We pointed out that it is September and we went to the Halloween party, and also that we didn't go to Universal. (If there's any Mardi Gras stuff at WDW during the appropriate time of the year for such things, I'm not aware of it, although I know there is at Disneyland.)
Old 09-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #205
rolliev60
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkly View Post
I think staying offsite is NOT a bad thing. I wish people wouldn't let themselves be persuaded that they MUST stay at a Disney hotel or they will have a bad time.

It's what you make of it. It doesn't have to be less magical unless you go in expecting bad things and get them.
I've stayed offsite several times and have never felt safe or magical. To each their own but to me I'd rather spend the extra money.
rolliev60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #206
rolliev60
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
My inlaws have had many opportunities to go while visiting people in Florida but think its just like our local park, Kennywood. Now Kennywood is a great place and is called America's Best Traditional Amusement park and even has Dole Whips, but its not WDW.

They mostly boycott it since they got rid of the $7.95 General Admission. (You would then buy tickets)

But now they are older and visit people and I swear their vacation day is now
  • wake up
  • eat breakfast
  • sit around and talk about what they are going to have for lunch
  • eat lunch
  • sit around and talk about where they are going to have dinner
  • eat dinner
  • sit around until bedtime complaining about dinner
  • go to bed
  • Next day lather, rinse, repeat
This would be my in-laws if it had designated dining times, i.e., eat dinner exactky at 5 PM, etc.
rolliev60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #207
DiSZYme
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolliev60 View Post
I've stayed offsite several times and have never felt safe or magical. To each their own but to me I'd rather spend the extra money.
I've stayed offsite and onsite and have felt safe and magical both ways. However, I have felt less cramped and more private (Disney walls tend to be thin) offsite and that's why I pick offsite. I don't think offsite automatically equals bad part of town or less pixie dust. It's what we each care about and what we make of our experiences.

Last edited by DiSZYme; 09-16-2012 at 11:16 PM. Reason: missed a word
DiSZYme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:22 PM   #208
Stasia5
Earning My Ears

Stayed off site the first night of our last trip. The hotel was nice and there was nothing wrong with it except that it wasn't Disney. We just flat out didn't like it. Checked into FQ the next day and finally felt like our vacation had begun.

I had friends planning a trip to WDW during spring break season. This was their first trip and they were certain the parks would be empty because it wasn't the week before or after Easter. No ones goes to WDW during March or April.
Stasia5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:45 PM   #209
disneydreaming92701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle

Actually my park growing up was West View Park (Union Picnic) and/or Idlewild (Company Picnic). Kennywood was my wife's and we went to CP a few times.

I really only started going to Kennywood because of dating her oh and the fact that West View Park kind of burned to ground and is now a shopping plaza.
From the Pittsburgh area and friends of our kids have told our kids that kennywood is better than wdw. Im thinking they haven't been to Disney.
disneydreaming92701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:07 AM   #210
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishguy1977 View Post
Yeah...people don't really seem to understand that being at a hotel IN Disney doesn't mean that you walk out the front door and hop onto Space Mountain.
So true...but wouldn't that be pretty cool!! I mean as long as everyone else was safely tucked into there resorts further away.
Mom2six is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: